champaign, il 1/31/09

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a show! Oh what fun! My first Jeff solo. And I can die now-met Jeff at Radio Maria's. Got him right as he sat down (before waitress even got to him). My girlfriend who is a relative Wilco newbie having been introduced to the boys at the Albuquerque show with me last year along with patiently living vicariously through my obsession, looked at me with a paniced look on her face and asked "is that Jeff fucking Tweedy and his family right there?" I tried to play it cool and let him be, but she looks at me and says "Alex go do it-you have to and you have to do it now before they get settled in" She was right.

I walked over apologized saying I never wanted to do this while he was with his family but if I didn't I would hate myself forever. He seemed to "get it" and was wonderfully gracious. He chuckled when I asked for Spencer's autograph as well because I read his blog. Kinda broke the stalker awkwardsness feeling and lightened the mood. Then Jeff said "Sam you should sign it too." Sam signed (very cute). Spencer insited Sue sign but she declined. All in 30-45 seconds but I'm still grinning ear to ear. And as much as I hated bothering him had I not done it, I would have hated myself. Life is about siezing the day. I had just driven 425 miles to see this man who has inspired me so much and there he is. Too cool.

So at the venue (very cool by the way loved how it was at the top of the "quad") before the show, I see Sue and apologized again for interupting them. She was very nice saying sothing to the effect of it was no bother. Then I said you know my Tweedy autograph collection is incomplete without yours. Spencer lights into her "see mom I told you!" She sheepsihly signed.

Then Muzzle, Remember the Mountain Bed, Radio King, and Fake Plastic Trees were played and my head exploded. I'm still in search if it.

Great crowd who were church mouse quiet during the songs, met some really cool people and had an overall incredible time.

thanks for reading my little experience,

Alex

Yeah Al, I saw you approach her twice turned to meagan and said "Damn Al!" when you didn't show up until the last song of GLS we figured you joined their table and got the sweet pass. Good to meet you two at RM, We'll see you at the next show! :thumbup

PS if you ever want duck taco's again now you know where to go.

what a show! Oh what fun! My first Jeff solo. And I can die now-met Jeff at Radio Maria's. Got him right as he sat down (before waitress even got to him). My girlfriend who is a relative Wilco newbie having been introduced to the boys at the Albuquerque show with me last year along with patiently living vicariously through my obsession, looked at me with a paniced look on her face and asked "is that Jeff fucking Tweedy and his family right there?" I tried to play it cool and let him be, but she looks at me and says "Alex go do it-you have to and you have to do it now before they get settled in" She was right.

I walked over apologized saying I never wanted to do this while he was with his family but if I didn't I would hate myself forever. He seemed to "get it" and was wonderfully gracious. He chuckled when I asked for Spencer's autograph as well because I read his blog. Kinda broke the stalker awkwardsness feeling and lightened the mood. Then Jeff said "Sam you should sign it too." Sam signed (very cute). Spencer insited Sue sign but she declined. All in 30-45 seconds but I'm still grinning ear to ear. And as much as I hated bothering him had I not done it, I would have hated myself. Life is about siezing the day. I had just driven 425 miles to see this man who has inspired me so much and there he is. Too cool.

So at the venue (very cool by the way loved how it was at the top of the "quad") before the show, I see Sue and apologized again for interupting them. She was very nice saying something to the effect of it was no bother. Then I said you know my Tweedy autograph collection is incomplete without yours. Spencer lights into her "see mom I told you!" She sheepsihly signed.

Then Muzzle, Remember the Mountain Bed, Radio King, and Fake Plastic Trees were played and my head exploded. I'm still in search if it.

Great crowd who were church mouse quiet during the songs, met some really cool people and had an overall incredible time.

thanks for reading my little experience,

Alex

Thanks for sharing, Alex. Great story.

I'm immensely curious: did this actually work with the timing or did you get a really cool echo effect?

it sounded perfect! i thought there might be a delay or something, but both signals were in phase!

for the record: i still have a recording of radio king in my voice mail from a renic phone call from almost 2 years ago. :wub

Yeah Al, I saw you approach her twice turned to meagan and said "Damn Al!" when you didn't show up until the last song of GLS we figured you joined their table and got the sweet pass. Good to meet you two at RM, We'll see you at the next show! :thumbup

PS if you ever want duck taco's again now you know where to go.

Duck Tacos all around! Great meeting you too! Wilco fans are just a little better aren't we? :thumbup

I may be alone here, but I was thrilled to no end that he played Wait Up! Seen a gaggle of shows and never caught that one. In fact, no spam, I was the long-clapper that he reference as the "Old-Timer" (which I am none the less)...good for me!!!!!!!!!! Such a great song, and the over-all set list couldn't have been better for my tastes.

Jeff seemed to be having a good time on stage and his guitar playing was very sharp. I noticed it during the spiced-up version of Muzzle...seemed to have added a little panache.

Our group went all the way to the Blind Pig as well, the overall beverage options looked delicious, but opted for other venues...see prior "Old-Timer" reference.

"Say hi to your family!"

I was surprised at how at-ease Jeff was. This was my first solo show, so I didn't really know what to expect (aside from some kick-ass music, but isn't that a given?).

It excited me to almost no end (geekin' out in the balcony!) that he played so many of my favorites...Muzzle of Bees, the Ruling Class, Remember the Mountain Bed. It was definitely a special night for me.

:rock

BTW...best pizza I've ever had was at Papa Del's. MMMMMMMM! :dribble

Did anyone else go there?

(edit) So, it looks like my copy of the show completed before the seeder buggered out. I'll leave my BT client open so that y'all can finish yours. ;)

Row J, eh? I think I may have been directly in front of you! Wait up?

were you the kind girl who enlightened me to "wait up" since I had not heard it (still learing my U.T.)? And confirmed the new song (not the "Wilco song") if so thanks and sorry for being a pest :-) I like to learn stuff

I may be alone here, but I was thrilled to no end that he played Wait Up! Seen a gaggle of shows and never caught that one. In fact, no spam, I was the long-clapper that he reference as the "Old-Timer" (which I am none the less)...good for me!!!!!!!!!! Such a great song, and the over-all set list couldn't have been better for my tastes.

Jeff seemed to be having a good time on stage and his guitar playing was very sharp. I noticed it during the spiced-up version of Muzzle...seemed to have added a little panache.

Our group went all the way to the Blind Pig as well, the overall beverage options looked delicious, but opted for other venues...see prior "Old-Timer" reference.

Everyone in my section of the balcony looked at me funny because of how loud I was when Wait Up started.

I was excited.

"Say hi to your family!"

I was surprised at how at-ease Jeff was. This was my first solo show, so I didn't really know what to expect (aside from some kick-ass music, but isn't that a given?).

It excited me to almost no end (geekin' out in the balcony!) that he played so many of my favorites...Muzzle of Bees, the Ruling Class, Remember the Mountain Bed. It was definitely a special night for me.

:rock

BTW...best pizza I've ever had was at Papa Del's. MMMMMMMM! :dribble

Did anyone else go there?

(edit) So, it looks like my copy of the show completed before the seeder buggered out. I'll leave my BT client open so that y'all can finish yours. ;)

We ate at Papa Del's too and thought the same thing!! I'll never be able to eat pizza hut again. And also!! I'm trying to get the show...is there a different link for your copy? Any help would be appreciated! I'm not very familiar with the whole process.

I'm trying to get the show...is there a different link for your copy? Any help would be appreciated! I'm not very familiar with the whole process.

I'm pretty sure that the link posted earlier in this thread is the only way to get a recording of the show via download. If you need help with the torrent process, just pm me and I'll try to walk you through it.

Does anyone know if the sound guys ever post their recordings? I was in section three (just in front of the sound board) and sat behind a really nice taping rig. I would love to get my hands on that particular recording.

p.s. Does anyone have any pics of those awesome poses at the end of the set?

Does anyone know if the sound guys ever post their recordings? I was in section three (just in front of the sound board) and sat behind a really nice taping rig. I would love to get my hands on that particular recording.

p.s. Does anyone have any pics of those awesome poses at the end of the set?

he might in time. the guy has a busy week ahead of him.

• 3 weeks later...
Some guy with a deep voice yelled, "Play Pet Shop Boys!" Jeff said that he didn't sound like someone who'd be a Pet Shop Boys fan, that he sounded more like a Packer Backer, then bantered about about envisioning a big, walrusy-looking Packers fan listening to Pet Shop Boys.

It was a really excellent show. Jeff seemed to be in excellent spirits and looked like he was having a lot of fun.

The posing at the end of the stage was absolutely hilarious! He struck all these classic, cheesy rock star poses so people could take pictures and tell others that he was out of control.

His voice sounded exceptionally well.

I would like to see those poses again. Is there a link?

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=523377

Jeff Tweedy

2009-01-31

Foellinger Auditorium - U of Illinois

Urbana, IL

Sennheiser ME40 ~> Aerco ~> Sony M1

Sennheiser ME40's custom built by Dave Copp

recorded FOB / 15 rows back / DFC

setlist courtesy of Wilcobase

CD1

------------------------

1. One By One