Wilco Vinyl

Does anyone know why a vinyl loving band like Wilco doesn't have their enitre catalogue on vinyl?

They put everything out on vinyl since being on nonesuch, which led me to believe that the Reprise stuff wasn't out due to contract issues, but Being There always seems available via vinyl so that blows that out of the water. I know AM was availalbe at the time and I've seen Summerteeth on Ebay one time. Anyway, Cmon Wilco!

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything in their catalog pretty much has been released on vinyl, unfortunately quite a few of those albums are OOP. I've always kept wishful thinking alive that they may re-release at the very least Summerteeth and AM someday, I'd really kill to own those records. Being There on 180gram has also become an extremely difficult find. The common U.S. release of BT has nowhere near the sound quality of the import 180g. Even Yankee and Ghost are not as easy to find as they once used to be.

I just don't get it when Bands don't take the opportunity for a quick buck. I'm assuming the market for Wilco vinyl would be pretty strong. Even if they don't make a buck, they should know their fan base has a high percentage of vinyl junkies and it would be a nice gift.

Hey if you can put out miniature figurines of the band or frisbees you can put out some stinking vinyl.

With vinyl, the subject is kind of a slippery slope...especially if the original pressing was a limited release or under a different record company.

Of course production of new albums could always include a subtle difference between the first press and re-release as well.

My Morning Jacket just re-released their first 3 albums on vinyl limited to 1000 copies, needless to say they didn't last too long at most places. The demand is definitely there for Wilco as well as other bands, I think its moreso a case to case situation on how logically possible it is to get done.

This is what I'm talking about. If I'm Jeff Tweedy and I'm aware that Summerteeth (the greatest Wilco album IMHO) is going for 600 bucks on vinyl, I say "This is crazy, let's repress the freaking thing" You think this would be important to him.

It is always possible for a band to license an album out on vinyl of they want to do the work to do it. Many many vinyl releases are done this way rather than through the actual label they originallly were on. Maybe it simply doesn't pay to do this for the WB/Reprise material at this point. Someone with some inside info knows.

There would be way less new vinyl on the market if it weren't for licensees since most of them majors are certainly not releasing back catelogue stuff on vinyl and even not that much new stuff.

LouieB

Summerteeth is on ebay right now.. http://cgi.ebay.com/WILCO-SUMMERTEETH-2-x-...%3A1|240%3A1318

it recently sold for 305 on ebay too.

although, i've heard that summerteeth on vinyl doesn't sound very good, so it'd really be nice to see it get repressed on quality vinly. same goes for AM. and black vinyl please.

Summerteeth sounds great on my tube system, and i only forked over $130 for it three years ago. Much better investment then Wall Street's produced in the same time frame. :dancing

Vinyl as a media is only as good as the hardware it's played on!

Guest Speed Racer

What a timely topic - I was just thinking about this last night. I have Summerteeth and A.M. (the latter autographed by Jeff, Jay, John, Ken), and was actually thinking about how I'm probably past the point of appreciating them as much as someone else would. Kinda thinking about selling 'em, but kinda not. Anybody wanna sway me? (By that I do NOT mean price; I'm just looking for a fair argument to either keep them or set them free.)

Kinda thinking about selling 'em, but kinda not. Anybody wanna sway me? (By that I do NOT mean price; I'm just looking for a fair argument to either keep them or set them free.)

I love my vinyl and my Wilco vinyl is definitely the most treasured vinyl in my collection. I listen to them regularly. I think it really comes down to what they mean to you and whether you listen to them at all? If so I would say keep them, if not I would think long and hard about it because they are not easily replaced. Also, did you get the autographs personally? If yes there might be some nostalgia associated with the AM vinyl.

At the end of the day, it's a question of whether you would rather have a few hundred dollars in your pocket or some great Wilco albums. If you think about selling let me know and I will put in an offer. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summerteeth-VINYL-...o/dp/B001R4MEZM

this was just posted on another site. is there an upcoming summerteeth vinyl reissue?

Looks like it doesn't it. Why shouldn't Wilco reissue this under some sort of arrangement with Nonesuch and make some money on it. It will satisfy those who want this on vinyl and only partially tamp down the collectable market, since it will be under a different company and not the original issue. Those originally released will still go for big money for awhile.

LouieB

my prayers have been answered (possibly) through the power of the internet. It is cosmic. :dancing

so far i haven't found it listed elsewhere on amazon in the US or on Music Direct so i'm holding back my joy right now. if anyone goes by a record store today, ask 'em to look it up and see if they can find it listed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summerteeth-VINYL-...o/dp/B001R4MEZM

this was just posted on another site. is there an upcoming summerteeth vinyl reissue?

Don't get too excited yet kids... I think ANYONE can create a listing like this, for the sole purpose to be notified if the product becomes available (to the masses, not third party) in the future. I've seen similar listings for Star Wars and Indiana Jones on Blu Ray, both of which have no tentative release date announced.