Wilco Vinyl

But you're still listening to a copy of the way something sounds. The scans of the liner notes of W(TA) were great to look at, but not nearly as awesome as looking at them in my hand. Kind of the same thing, to me.

True, ultimately the joy of listening to a record comes when you are actually doing it, but you shouldn't have any problem hearing that mystical "vinyl warmth" via a WAV or lossless file.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

True, ultimately the joy of listening to a record comes when you are actually doing it, but you shouldn't have any problem hearing that mystical "vinyl warmth" via a WAV or lossless file.

Oh, I would never tell someone they shouldn't do something simply because it won't be perfect, but I doubt I'd hear the difference myself (between the CD and vinyl).

I received two defective copies of Summerteeth, both of them being warped like frisbees. Kung Fu (Annick) was really helpful, though, and even accommodated my request that the replacements be shipped after a certain date while I'm on holiday.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Anodyne

If anyone's still wondering about the Anodyne record - this morning I received shipment confirmation from Amazon.com for my copy, so the January 12th release date must have stuck. I can't wait to get it!

Re: Summerteeth

I'm sorry to hear so many people had problems with their copies. After ordering my copy during the nonesuch sale I briefly experience some buyer's remorse, afraid I'm might have to deal with returning my defective copy. The record was actually on backorder at the time, but it eventually arrived in great condition. I had no problem with my copy whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

I previously owned wta, sbs and Yhf on vinyl. So...

If anyone cares I got agib, summer, am and being there allmon vinyl for Xmas. Off amazon from my wife. Great gifts. Great inyls. I too love the single disc being there cd u get.

Can anyone who has both the old and new pressing of BT tell me what if any packaging differences there are between the two pressings? Also where do we sign the poll for KT and the MA's to be pressed/repressed?

Can anyone who has both the old and new pressing of BT tell me what if any packaging differences there are between the two pressings?

Main difference is that the Nonesuch reissue is a gatefold, as per usual for the Nonesuch reissues. The original press isn't. And the artwork on the back is different. On the Nonesuch edition, the back cover is just a big picture of hands on a piano/keyboard with the track listing on the left. The original U.S. pressing has five smaller photos (bigger versions of which are inside the gatefold on the reissue) with album credits in two columns on the left and the track listing in one column on the right side.

The front cover is also slightly different on the Nonesuch edition. They moved the photo down, so that it now covers the bottom 2/3 and looks like they changed the font on the album title a bit or maybe made it a tiny bit smaller. The Nonesuch edition also took out the dash between "Wilco" and "Being There" (the original has "Wilco - Being There").

FYI, I think there's also at least a couple different "original" pressings -- one pressed in the US and one in Germany.

Hope that helps... :thumbup

Recieved my Anodyne vinyl late last week and finally gave it a spin last night. Anodyne has been my favorite album ever for years. It wasn't instant for me at the time (I was weening off Pearl Jam and Soundgarden).

The songwriting was unbelievalbe. Listening to Jay Farrar songs during this period and on through early Son Volt make his recent output laughable.

Tweedy's harmony on this album is perfect

It is just so raw and real. Everything about this record is so real.

• 11 months later...

I finally bought Being There, the last Wilco LPs I didn't have and it cost nearly as much to ship it as to buy it. It cost $15 to buy and $10 to ship. Crazy.

LouieB

i was interested in buying the new Mogwai in the limited boxset format, but the UK post is seriously crazy...23 sterling = $35 US...fuck me.

i was interested in buying the new Mogwai in the limited boxset format, but the UK post is seriously crazy...23 sterling = $35 US...fuck me.

See my reply in the Tom Waits thead. The record companies are again being totally stupid. If you want to create a market you'd better price shit so that people want to buy it (Economics 101...supply and demand curve), rather than price those interested out of the market.

It is amazing to me that the limited addition Kicking Television, which supposed was pressed in a limite amount, is still out there waiting on buyers. Maybe the vinyl resurgence we all hear about isn't really all that much of a resurgence in real life.

LouieB

It is amazing to me that the limited addition Kicking Television, which supposed was pressed in a limite amount, is still out there waiting on buyers. Maybe the vinyl resurgence we all hear about isn't really all that much of a resurgence in real life.

LouieB

I get the same impression regarding the resurgence of vinyl. granted, a lot of music fans may be partaking in vinyl nowadays but how many hardcore music fans are there? I can honestly say that 99.9% of my friends never buy CDs much less vinyl. seems like most people are getting the handful of tunes they desire off the internet. I wasn't alive 40 years ago but I get the impression that when "so-and-so" released a new record, people rushed out to get it. aside from sites like this, I don't see much excitement around music like I imagine there use to be back in the day. maybe I am wrong, I dunno. just a feeling/ rant I wanted to get off of my chest.

and to remain on topic, I just busted out my Being There on vinyl the other night and decided, for certain, that I enjoy it more than the cd. that album was meant for vinyl. I sort of wish they had kept ST, YHF and AGIB on 1 vinyl instead of splitting them up into 2. that goes for KT as well. flipping those heavy slabs over that many times hurts my wrist :stunned

Maybe the vinyl resurgence we all hear about isn't really all that much of a resurgence in real life.

LouieB

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. But if vinyl were cheaper, there would definitely be a real resurgence. Most people who spend $30 on one LP would be happy to spend $30 and get three LPs.

The whole "vinyl sounds beter than cds" argument has existed far longer than the current 180 gram audiophile quality virgin vinyl with grooves so spread out that only three songs fit per side craze. I think audiophile quality pressings as the norm is severley holding back the sales potential of new LPs.

I get the same impression regarding the resurgence of vinyl. granted, a lot of music fans may be partaking in vinyl nowadays but how many hardcore music fans are there? I can honestly say that 99.9% of my friends never buy CDs much less vinyl. seems like most people are getting the handful of tunes they desire off the internet. I wasn't alive 40 years ago but I get the impression that when "so-and-so" released a new record, people rushed out to get it. aside from sites like this, I don't see much excitement around music like I imagine there use to be back in the day. maybe I am wrong, I dunno. just a feeling/ rant I wanted to get off of my chest.

Stupid story then a comment. Most folks don't even know vinyl records are being made. My wife went to a doctor the other day who was working his way alphabetically through his iPod. When she told him I buy vinyl records he responded "with all the pops and scratches" and didn't know that new ones were being made and didn't care. Unless you live in a city and patronize somewhere like Laurie's or Reckless, folks don't even know. Only die hards are buying vinyl records or trading and buying on eBay. I may be wrong (I sort of hope so actually), but after a few years and the intial excitment by some who didn't buy LPs 30 or 40 years ago and have just now started collecting them, the fever is going to die down and the resurgence will be over. Since you can't play LPs when you drive or jog and when turntables need needles and maintenance others will also fall out. There is a reason that Kicking Television is still for sale and the Wilco LPs (including Being

There which I just bought) is on sale. Demand just isn't all that high. Where there 5000 KT made? You mean to tell me there aren't 5000 die hard Wilco fans that wanted them immediately? (See the Tom Waits thread for other vinyl comments.)

(I had to buy an $80 needle for one of my Duals the other day. That's dedication or stupidity, I don't know which.)

I am going to start a thread on the much malined CD. There is alot to be said FOR CDs, that keeps getting lost in the vinyl snobbery.

LouieB

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. But if vinyl were cheaper, there would definitely be a real resurgence. Most people who spend $30 on one LP would be happy to spend $30 and get three LPs.

The whole "vinyl sounds beter than cds" argument has existed far longer than the current 180 gram audiophile quality virgin vinyl with grooves so spread out that only three songs fit per side craze. I think audiophile quality pressings as the norm is severley holding back the sales potential of new LPs.

See the Tom Waits thread where it was mentioned that some of his old LPs are being sold on red vinyl for $25. What I said there was that those albums are highly sought after and not readily available on the resale market and if they sold them for 10 bucks a pop (which they could do in large amounts without regular black vinyl) they could sell a ton and get plenty of folks interested in buying LPs. But instead they are going for the collector market, not the regular consumer market and missing a great chance to interest more folks in them. They could reopen lots of old catelogues, but the large record companies don't do that. (I remmber when LPs were 3 for $10.....)If the only market they are interested in is the collectable market, this thing will end sooner than later.

LouieB

Stupid story then a comment. Most folks don't even know vinyl records are being made. My wife went to a doctor the other day who was working his way alphabetically through his iPod. When she told him I buy vinyl records he responded "with all the pops and scratches" and didn't know that new ones were being made and didn't care. Unless you live in a city and patronize somewhere like Laurie's or Reckless, folks don't even know. Only die hards are buying vinyl records or trading and buying on eBay. I may be wrong (I sort of hope so actually), but after a few years and the intial excitment by some who didn't buy LPs 30 or 40 years ago and have just now started collecting them, the fever is going to die down and the resurgence will be over. Since you can't play LPs when you drive or jog and when turntables need needles and maintenance others will also fall out. There is a reason that Kicking Television is still for sale and the Wilco LPs (including Being

There which I just bought) is on sale. Demand just isn't all that high. Where there 5000 KT made? You mean to tell me there aren't 5000 die hard Wilco fans that wanted them immediately? (See the Tom Waits thread for other vinyl comments.)

(I had to buy an $80 needle for one of my Duals the other day. That's dedication or stupidity, I don't know which.)

I am going to start a thread on the much malined CD. There is alot to be said FOR CDs, that keeps getting lost in the vinyl snobbery.

LouieB

We have had this discussion before, but some chain stores are carrying them, such as Best Buy. I still find it funny that younger people are buying record albums. I am curious as to the age breakdown. I know some younger people who have never owned anything but an iPod.

What I said there was that those albums are highly sought after and not readily available on the resale market and if they sold them for 10 bucks a pop (which they could do in large amounts without regular black vinyl) they could sell a ton and get plenty of folks interested in buying LPs. But instead they are going for the collector market, not the regular consumer market and missing a great chance to interest more folks in them. They could reopen lots of old catelogues, but the large record companies don't do that. (I remmber when LPs were 3 for $10.....)If the only market they are interested in is the collectable market, this thing will end sooner than later.

LouieB

I agree. Huge shocker! The record industry is making yet another giant, money losing mistake.

I get the same impression regarding the resurgence of vinyl. granted, a lot of music fans may be partaking in vinyl nowadays but how many hardcore music fans are there? I can honestly say that 99.9% of my friends never buy CDs much less vinyl. seems like most people are getting the handful of tunes they desire off the internet.

Here is a pretty good article on the subject of sales from 2009.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9124699/Back_to_the_future_Vinyl_record_sales_double_in_08_CDs_down?taxonomyId=19&pageNumber=1

Now days I think the fad has faded a bit, or maybe it's just the economy. But one of the smart things the LP industry is doing now that was not as prominent back a year or so ago, was offering digital downloads with the LP. That opens the market for those that want the music on the go but still want the benefits that vinyl offers in sound quality and cover art.

I personally have not purchased any digital music in five years. But then again I was raised on vinyl so I know the quality of sound. Also I don't relocate anymore; I'm more grounded. And I have the storage space in my home. If I was constantly moving like I did in my 20's & 30's, living with roommates or in small apartments, no way I would buy vinyl. It's too hard to move. Worse then books!

Here is a pretty good article on the subject of sales from 2009.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9124699/Back_to_the_future_Vinyl_record_sales_double_in_08_CDs_down?taxonomyId=19&pageNumber=1

Now days I think the fad has faded a bit, or maybe it's just the economy. But one of the smart things the LP industry is doing now that was not as prominent back a year or so ago, was offering digital downloads with the LP. That opens the market for those that want the music on the go but still want the benefits that vinyl offers in sound quality and cover art.

I personally have not purchased any digital music in five years. But then again I was raised on vinyl so I know the quality of sound. Also I don't relocate anymore; I'm more grounded. And I have the storage space in my home. If I was constantly moving like I did in my 20's & 30's, living with roommates or in small apartments, no way I would buy vinyl. It's too hard to move. Worse then books!

That is true. I just moved mine for the first time in 16 years.

I am 21 and I buy records. When I was younger I didn't because my mom believed they were old fashion and they could break and scratch easily. Thus I bought lots of CDs.

However, near the end of my sophomore year in college, I decided to start buying records because to me they do sound better after listening to records my friends had. Plus, I love the bigger art cover. The first thing I bought was Sonic Youth's "The Eternal" (which came out that day) and the Minutemen's "What Makes a Man Start Fires." I now have around 90 records.

I am glad there has been a little resurgence in vinyl because everyone is reissuing stuff older material that was harder to find or is now in better quality. For example, Sonic Youth has reissued most of their back catalog on 180 gram vinyl (Sister and Bad Moon Rising come out next year).

I have some friends who do buy records. However, they only buy what they really like. For example, when the new Joanna Newsom album came out. Two of my friends downloaded the album illegally. One of them really liked it and the other thought it was okay (he was a bigger fan of Ys). Thus, the one who really liked it bought it on vinyl.

I don't download at all expect if it is a bootleg of a show, which obviously you can't buy at most record stores or online. I prefer to own a physical copy preferably vinyl. I feel like I am rare breed in my generation.