Wilco Vinyl

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 21 and I buy records.

I don't download at all expect if it is a bootleg of a show, which obviously you can't buy at most record stores or online. I prefer to own a physical copy preferably vinyl. I feel like I am rare breed in my generation.

Yes you are! If not for the above statement, but the fact that your 21 and your VC registration date is May of 2006 which would have made you about 15 or 16 years old when you joined. :cheers

This is interesting for me on a number of levels. Wilco is probably my favorite all time band, i'm a completist (obsessive) and I am a vinyl collecting freak. And I HAVE NOT PURCHASED KICKING TELEVSION! (Not sure why I capatlizated that). For me, for one, I'm not a huge live album kinda guy and especially a live album of a band and their lineup that isn't my favorite with a tracklisting that doesn't really reflect the band's history. Now if this was a live show from the Being There or Summerteeth Tours then I would be more stoked, but I have probably listened to KT three times on my ol cd copy. Secondly I have never and will never spend that much money on a record. The most I've ever spent was 50 bucks on UT Still Feel Gone/March 16-20 Double vinyl. (which should be reissued by the way)

Now about the whole 180 gram 30 dollar record issue. There is no denying vinyl is the most excellent sound quality going, but does 180/200 gram make it THAT much better? I can't say I've ever listened to an old Byrds record on normal old whatever gram and wished "oh if it was only 180 gram and I had to flip the damn thing over 12 times". I agree, this is record company shooting self in foot. It is even laughable at times, flip through a music direct catalouge and they will be selling some audiophile 200 gram Doobie Brothers record for 35 bucks. Cmon. I'll go buy a Doobie record at the local dollar bin, in fact their entire dicography for the cost of the audiophile copy.

I guess if you have a 2000 dollar turntable and 5000 dollar set up that you only want your needle touching the best. But that is .00001 percent of the music buying public. For those of us happy with our 300 dollar set ups, give us a 12 dollar vinyl with free download and I would buy a crapload of records.

This is interesting for me on a number of levels. Wilco is probably my favorite all time band, i'm a completist (obsessive) and I am a vinyl collecting freak. And I HAVE NOT PURCHASED KICKING TELEVSION! (Not sure why I capatlizated that). For me, for one, I'm not a huge live album kinda guy and especially a live album of a band and their lineup that isn't my favorite with a tracklisting that doesn't really reflect the band's history. Now if this was a live show from the Being There or Summerteeth Tours then I would be more stoked, but I have probably listened to KT three times on my ol cd copy. Secondly I have never and will never spend that much money on a record. The most I've ever spent was 50 bucks on UT Still Feel Gone/March 16-20 Double vinyl. (which should be reissued by the way)

Now about the whole 180 gram 30 dollar record issue. There is no denying vinyl is the most excellent sound quality going, but does 180/200 gram make it THAT much better? I can't say I've ever listened to an old Byrds record on normal old whatever gram and wished "oh if it was only 180 gram and I had to flip the damn thing over 12 times". I agree, this is record company shooting self in foot. It is even laughable at times, flip through a music direct catalouge and they will be selling some audiophile 200 gram Doobie Brothers record for 35 bucks. Cmon. I'll go buy a Doobie record at the local dollar bin, in fact their entire dicography for the cost of the audiophile copy.

I guess if you have a 2000 dollar turntable and 5000 dollar set up that you only want your needle touching the best. But that is .00001 percent of the music buying public. For those of us happy with our 300 dollar set ups, give us a 12 dollar vinyl with free download and I would buy a crapload of records.

My thoughs exactly, on all counts.

I went through an obsessive Coltrane phase in the '90s, and as a result I have a lot of his Impulse albums on 180 gram. They sound fantastic, but they aren't significantly better sounding than his Impulse abums I own that are on normal vinyl. Maybe if I spent $1000 (or shit, even $500, which is twice what my best turntable cost) on a turntable the sound quality would be significantly better, but I'd rather suffer with a level of sound quality that is 100% acceptable to me and spend the money on other things.

I'm 19 and have been collecting records for about a year. My parents sold or threw all theirs out about the time I was born, but I've been scrounging around town & bought all the Wilco reissues. Oddly enough my next door neighbor at college is a year older than me, and he has a huge collection ranging from Moby Grape to Beach House.

Anyway, I just don't see too many people my age having the patience to deal with vinyl. It may be a fad now, but for many young people it's just that, a fad or hobby that they'll lose interest in. I will say that when I know a new record comes with a digital download, I'm more apt to buy the vinyl copy and not just the cheaper itunes download.

I think those that can afford that price for the high end audiophile set up, the $40 200g LP is a drop in the bucket. I personally can't hear the difference in a standard vinyl release or a 180g or 200g release. I'll always opt for the lesser priced disc. But some of my favorite artist, like Neil Young, don't even offer anything other then 180g or 200g anymore. I guess justifying the inflated price. Because of that I have passed on the last three NY releases and all but Massey Hall of the Archives LP's. I had to have that Massey Hall on vinyl! i just had to! :stunned

Chances are in a few tears I'll be picking up something like Kicking Television at a garage sale for a couple of bucks.

Possibly. I have bought all kinds of box sets for way less than I thought they would ever cost because the artist is out of favor. I also have bought a used copy of AGIB in the bin at Lauries for half of what is was originally going for. Someone didn't have the patience to keep flipping it I guess.

(Reprising a story I put in here on an earlier thread, but I picked up a used copy of Dylan's most recent new ablum (not the Whitmark Demos) and it still pretty much sounds like crap. Oh the record sounds fine, but the songs....bleh!!)

My thoughs exactly, on all counts.

I went through an obsessive Coltrane phase in the '90s, and as a result I have a lot of his Impulse albums on 180 gram. They sound fantastic, but they aren't significantly better sounding than his Impulse abums I own that are on normal vinyl. Maybe if I spent $1000 (or shit, even $500, which is twice what my best turntable cost) on a turntable the sound quality would be significantly better, but I'd rather suffer with a level of sound quality that is 100% acceptable to me and spend the money on other things.

I have the original Impulses (in different pressing some early some late) and they all sound fine. Plenty of albums sound fine in the good old pre-1980s pressing. There are plenty of audiophiles here on VC and around the world willing to buy the $40 pressings, but if I can get an album for $5 (now more like $10 because of demand) I am fine with it. After all, how many times are you really going to listen to some of these albums. The Doobies? I have their albums and most were fitty cent.

I played the expensive Mavis Staples 45 RPM 12 inch that came with the CD and I need to do a side by side test on this, but the LP actualy sounded deader. It was weird. However it does sound really really flawless, which is cool.

One more anecdote about the kids buying records. (stop me if you have heard ths before too))...I help a dealer sell used LPs at Pitchfork and this past year was NO better than the year before. If Pfork is any indication, there is still plenty of interest in LPs, but the actual number of sales didn't increase this year from last, which I thought was weird. We still had plenty of interesting titles in our inventory when we left Pfork. We kept being asked for the Replacements (which of course we didn't have), Tom Waits, and Leonard Cohen,but lots of other titles didn't sell. Miles Davis moved pretty well though. Other jazz you can't give away.

LouieB

yeah, someone mentioned the Neil Young issue. What a joke. All we hear is how Neil has to have the best sound quality going. Well 98% of his fans began hearing Neil on normal old vinyl and god forbid cassette or cd. The majority of his fan base doesn't care. It is the songs, Neil isn't the friggin Pink Floyd. It isn't about sonic landscapes, stage shows, lazers etc. It is the songs. I would buy Neil's good songs if they came on a piece of cardboard that only worked when placed in the oven. 200 Gram 50 dollar crap. Geez!

Theres not too many records I'd pay over 30 bucks for but KT was definately one of them. I had it on pre-order the minute I saw it was coming out. If there truly were only 5000 pressed and there are still some on shelves big deal,there are still only 5000 out there and I had to have one. I opened mine and played it through within an hour of pulling it out of the mail and its my favorite in my collection. Minus the Mermaids I've got Wilco complete. What I want to know is whats with buying a record and not opening it,boy thats a good time. I see people buy records they love and not open them because of the value. If you're looking for a sound financial investment people indie albums might not be the most lucrative. Cincinnati really only has one good record store so I usually do my buying online. Suprisingly Barnes and Noble has quite a collection of good albums in the 15 or 20 dollar range and shipping on over $25 is free so you can pick up a couple good records for as low as about 30 bucks delivered. Kung Fu's shipping is highway robbery so I really don't feel bad not buying from them. Avoid Aural Exploits on-line as well. I've been back and forth with that guy so many times I wont shop there any more. He has an amazing selection...because he doesn't actually have half of it so your order might take a month to get to you and he flat out ignores your emails. Sorry so long winded, I'm passionate about this shit.

What I want to know is whats with buying a record and not opening it,boy thats a good time. I see people buy records they love and not open them because of the value.

Anyone who does that is a fucking idiot.

Anyone who does that is a fucking idiot.

This is true. I have a similar problem....I buy so much I don't get around to listening to it. How much it may be worth in the future is ridiculous. With the exception of older rare releases, the future for the increase in LPs is a very iffy proposition. There are LPs that even 30 years ago were going for alot of money that you can pick up for just a few bucks now.

LouieB

See my reply in the Tom Waits thead. The record companies are again being totally stupid. If you want to create a market you'd better price shit so that people want to buy it (Economics 101...supply and demand curve), rather than price those interested out of the market.

It is amazing to me that the limited addition Kicking Television, which supposed was pressed in a limite amount, is still out there waiting on buyers. Maybe the vinyl resurgence we all hear about isn't really all that much of a resurgence in real life.

LouieB

well to be fair to Mogwai, they are releasing a regular version of the LP that's not nearly as expensive (ie, see below). and it's an import. it's not like Neil Young's new LP (single LP, at that) having a retail price of $35 or so. that's just silly.

RedrumMedia.com $20.99+3.99 shipping

i'm assuming that's for the regular edition LP, not the box set.

Just remembered, I have a Buck Ownes box set. Three 8-tracks, still sealed. The only reason it's still sealed is because I've never owned an 8-track player and I don't know who to give or sell it to.

Just remembered, I have a Buck Ownes box set. Three 8-tracks, still sealed. The only reason it's still sealed is because I've never owned an 8-track player and I don't know who to give or sell it to.

There are record stores (Lauries??) that do sometimes carry 8 tracks. This sort of thing isn't worth much but someone would want it if they still have a player.

LouieB

There are record stores (Lauries??) that do sometimes carry 8 tracks. This sort of thing isn't worth much but someone would want it if they still have a player.

LouieB

Maybe its ironic hipster value will net me $15 or so in trade if I take to the record store in the cool part of town.

Maybe its ironic hipster value will net me $15 or so in trade if I take to the record store in the cool part of town.

Yea, if you are lucky. Eight Track may have been the worst futuristic technology ever invented. Unlike even 78s they don't last.

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer

My colleague has a friend who restored a mid-70s car that came with an 8-track player, and has now been collecting them like a fiend to pump out the jams.

About 3 years ago, a student surprised me with vinyl Yankee Hotel Foxtrot upon her graduation. It is something that I never would have bought or even had any desire to own but it is still the best, most thoughtful gift that I ever received. She is the epitome of a cool chick.

Though the above is true, in all honesty I must admit I only posted it as an excuse to say that I am upset that the "YHF 50 album decade" thread was locked. I understand and respect the need for moderating in a forum like VC but it sure can put a damper on the entertainment.

About 3 years ago, a student surprised me with vinyl Yankee Hotel Foxtrot upon her graduation. It is something that I never would have bought or even had any desire to own but it is still the best, most thoughtful gift that I ever received. She is the epitome of a cool chick.

Though the above is true, in all honesty I must admit I only posted it as an excuse to say that I am upset that the "YHF 50 album decade" thread was locked. I understand and respect the need for moderating in a forum like VC but it sure can put a damper on the entertainment.

i didn't notice that particular thread was locked, but it did contain a bit of interesting prattle:

Playing "amateur courtroom" with Lauren is the official pastime of the Via Chicago Forum.

so Recorded Nap is a woman? or just a poorly named man?