Wilco Vinyl

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Music Direct was selling new Wilco albums for $15 at the CHIRP record sale. I think even the new vinyl market is going to see a slow reduction in price as the market gets saturated. Clearly there is not the market for KT that was anticipated.

LouieB

Sounds great!

yea but I had them all of them already, so it did me no good.

LouieB

I was actually refering to the market saturated with an abundance of reasonably priced vinyl. I'm not into $35 records, gimmie the $16.99 120g all day, plus I only have to flip it once.

I just hooked up my dad's old stereo system and turntable. Bought a new stylus and after 8 years of basement time it's back in business. :dancing

Now I just gotta restrain myself from spending hundreds of dollars of records. I did find this http://www.popsike.com/Fugs-The-Golden-Filth-2-Tone-Label/4057819450.html The Fugs which is apparently pretty popular with the older folks. My dad says I can't listen until I'm 21 (3 months to go! :lol :P )

Go to flea markets, and places such as the Salvation Army. You will find records without paying some greedy person a bunch of money. I don't think I have ever paid over ten bucks for a record album.

Go to flea markets, and places such as the Salvation Army. You will find records without paying some greedy person a bunch of money. I don't think I have ever paid over ten bucks for a record album.

because small labels like Three Lobed, Subliminal Sounds, Poon Village, Erstwhile, Kranky, Sublime Frequencies, Olde English Spelling Bee, Captured Tracks, Editions Mego, etc are all run w/ greedy people at the helm.

because small labels like Three Lobed, Subliminal Sounds, Poon Village, Erstwhile, Kranky, Sublime Frequencies, Olde English Spelling Bee, Captured Tracks, Editions Mego, etc are all run w/ greedy people at the helm.

I don't know anything about that stuff. I am not really into new music, or indie rock or whatever you call it.

Maybe if you post some big photos I will be able to understand better.

I was talking about old/used records.

so the used record store owners are greedy...got it.

why aren't you into new music? nothing else needs to be said that Dylan or Lennon hadn't already?

you shouldn't need 'big photos' to help you understand an aural experience; maybe you are doing it wrong.

my main point is that for people who enjoy records made by small labels, the chances of finding a used copy, never mind one for under $10, isn't very feasible at all. and greed has nothing to do w/ it.

so the used record store owners are greedy...got it.

It's probable that the greed comment had to do with the $64 Fugs record which ViaBuffalo linked to, and not used record sellers in general. I know for a fact that SOME used record sellers are greedy. The greedy ones prey on people (like my mom) who think all LPs are rare and valuable collectors items, just based on the fact that you can't buy LPs at Sears & Roebuck anymore.

Really no reason to mix apples and oranges here. Used records are used and subject to the supply and demand curve, which is high on eBay and low in resale shops and variable in used record stores. New records from indie labels are expensive, for all the obvious reasons; it costs alot more now to produce vinyl records because there aren't that many plants that do it and the demand has suddenly increased (despite this being 100 year old technology.) No indie record label can put out new LPs for 10 bucks unless they want to loose money. Same way with those licensing old material on new LPs. Some older indie labels can produce older LPs for cheaper because they have have the metal parts. The licensing reissuers seem to be able to keep some titles reasonable and some ridiculous, depending on the market.

The whole thing about record day (different thread admittedly) is that the new LPs are being brought into the market in limit quanities, therefore makeing the supply and demand curve really high, especially by speculators buying so they can sell on the secondary market.

Meanwhile jff's mother should come to the CHIRP record sale next year and discover that used LPs are in fact NOT that expensive, more available then you would imagine and that no fucking way the Fugs should be sold for that much money, but sometimes they are. I don't know, I listened to the Fugs before I was 21 and it did no harm to me. In the case of the Fugs they were on ESP and to a more limited degree on Reprise (if memory serves) and so therefore there just aren't that many copies of any of their LPs around anymore. But if you want an old common title, you can still get those for well under ten bucks.

As far as artists pressing up their own LPs, some of them aren't that expensive because they are doing it for the hell of it, not for the money, so many indie indie artists are looking at producing LPs for the cool factor, when they could just as easily press up CDs at a cheaper price. LPs have indie cred and CDs don't.

LouieB

Meanwhile jff's mother should come to the CHIRP record sale next year and discover that used LPs are in fact NOT that expensive, more available then you would imagine and that no fucking way the Fugs should be sold for that much money, but sometimes they are.

I'll tell her about it. I probably had 1,000 albums before I graduated from high school (there used to be a killer 25 cent section in a local store here), and I only had part-time grocery store and busboy jobs during that time. She probably thought I was a drug dealer or something to be able to afford all those valuable records. :stunned

As you have pointed out - there are collectors and there are "collectors". I am with you. I like buying LPs (and CDs for that matter) but they don't have to be either perfect, or collector's items, just something to listen to. I used to love getting cut-outs in the old days, before there were used LPs and before there was a big collector market. Needless to say I have ended up with collectors items as a result, but it doesn't mean I meant to. Lots of places still sell at reasonable prices. I would say the funniest part of the CHIRP record sales (there are two a year, one at Pfork) and probably other vinyl swap meets, are the dealers checking other dealers and buying cheap LPs and repricing them higher. You can find some dealers selling stuff at a buck or two and see them later in the day for 6 or 7 and some dealers buying some for 5 or 6 and jacking them up into double digets. Crazy, but it is all in the eye of the beholder. At the end of the day some dealers dumped LPs in the garbage rather than take them home and other dealers picked those same LPs out of the garbage to sell at the next sale. What a hoot. (A whole ton of 8 tracks ended up in the garbage this time...too bad, but who wants them??)

There is alot about this that isn't fun anymore. It stopped being about the music and became the object. To bring this back around to Wilco; my copy of AGIB is used. Go figure. Someone thought they needed a vinyl copy and got bored with it really fast. I picked it up for well less than new. My copy of Minus 5 DWW was 12 bucks from a dealer who just didn't see it as a collector's item. How much are they worth on the collector's market? Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

LouieB

I'm not going to be dropping $60+ dollars on a "rare" vinyl record by any means. But I don't have much of a collection so it's going to take a decent amount of dough to build it up. That was my point.

Also I'm not going to buy The Fugs record. I found it with the turntable, as in I already have it. :lol:

Right now I have that Dark Side of The Moon, a couple of Blue Oyster Cult records, and thats about it. My dad doesn't have much of a collection, he liked cassettes better.

I did just buy Being There and Summerteeth off the Wilco store. Works out since I didn't have them on CD either.

I'm not going to be dropping $60+ dollars on a "rare" vinyl record by any means. But I don't have much of a collection so it's going to take a decent amount of dough to build it up. That was my point.

Build it up slowly and it won't fell like you're spending tons of money. Yard sales can be a good place to find vinyl.

I think I got extremely lucky whe I first started accumulating LPs. One day my friends and I were sitting on the curb in front of Eat More Records in Atlanta whe a guy walked in with a stack of classic rock LPs to sell. Eat More took none (or very few) of them, and on the way out he gave the whole stack to us kids rather than take them home. We split them up between us, and all the ones I ended up with still play perfectly, and still get played regularly.

Almost all my records are beat to hell - just the way I like it.

:lol

I've never really thought about it, but I'm kind of the same way. I have beat records and pristine records, but most are somewhere in between. The pristine ones almost always wind up being listened to the least.

Or maybe they remain pristine 'cause you never play them. :)

That's the logical conclusion, but my records tend to stay in the condition they were in when I got them (aside from the rare accident). I've always been careful with my records, even if they're beat up.

If you want any Dylan, Beatles, Stones, etc.. vinyl from pre-90s you should be able to get anything you want for under $2 an LP if you look hard enough at record shows, swap meets, yard sales or church sales. I have a huge collection of older albums and doubt that I spent over $5 an album.

As for Uncle Tupelo / Wilco vinyl I am a big collector, what does everyone have?

This is what I have:

Brian Henneman Indianapolis 7" (Purple and Black)

Uncle Tupelo Gun 7" (Picture disc and Black)

Uncle Tupelo I Got Drunk 7" (Picture disc, blue and black)

Uncle Tupelo Sauget Wing 7" (Picture disc, clear and black)

Uncle Tupelo No Depression LP (Salmon and Black)

Uncle Tupelo Still Feel Gone LP (Black UK version)

Uncle Tupelo Still Feel Gone / March 16-20, 1992 2LP (Blue/Green, Grey, Black and Test Pressing)

Uncle Tupelo Anodyne LP

Uncle Tupelo 89/93 2LP

Wilco AM LP (Red version and Repress)

Wilco Being There LP (Original and Repress)

Wilco All Over The Place 10"

Wilco Summerteeth 2LP (Original and Repress)

Wilco/Billy Bragg Mermaid Avenue 2LP

wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 2LP

Wilco Ghost Is Born 2LP

Wilco Kicking Television 4LP

Wilco Sky Blue Sky 2LP

Wilco The Album LP

What am I missing?

If you want any Dylan, Beatles, Stones, etc.. vinyl from pre-90s you should be able to get anything you want for under $2 an LP if you look hard enough at record shows, swap meets, yard sales or church sales. I have a huge collection of older albums and doubt that I spent over $5 an album.

As for Uncle Tupelo / Wilco vinyl I am a big collector, what does everyone have?

This is what I have:

Brian Henneman Indianapolis 7" (Purple and Black)

Uncle Tupelo Gun 7" (Picture disc and Black)

Uncle Tupelo I Got Drunk 7" (Picture disc, blue and black)

Uncle Tupelo Sauget Wing 7" (Picture disc, clear and black)

Uncle Tupelo No Depression LP (Salmon and Black)

Uncle Tupelo Still Feel Gone LP (Black UK version)

Uncle Tupelo Still Feel Gone / March 16-20, 1992 2LP (Blue/Green, Grey, Black and Test Pressing)

Uncle Tupelo Anodyne LP

Uncle Tupelo 89/93 2LP

Wilco AM LP (Red version and Repress)

Wilco Being There LP (Original and Repress)

Wilco All Over The Place 10"

Wilco Summerteeth 2LP (Original and Repress)

Wilco/Billy Bragg Mermaid Avenue 2LP

wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 2LP

Wilco Ghost Is Born 2LP

Wilco Kicking Television 4LP

Wilco Sky Blue Sky 2LP

Wilco The Album LP

What am I missing?

Mermaid Ave 2 looks like it, maybe "Down with Wilco" if you want to count it.