some DVD info, but mostly about Blu-Ray

From your comments I'd question on whether you even seen that many Blu Ray's? Blu Ray is without a doubt much better quality in both picture and audio than a standard dvd. There has yet to be one Blu Ray reviewed that didn't score higher marks than its DVD counterpart. Every Blu Ray has to be remastered/transferred to 1080p and most have at the least 24bit TruHD audio surround.

Thank you for the rant I'm glad I didn't have to do it. Blu Ray=1080P DVD=480I Even regular broadcast HD is either 1080I or 720P which smokes DVDs. As a matter of fact HD pretty much killed my DVD watching.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the rant I'm glad I didn't have to do it. Blu Ray=1080P DVD=480I Even regular broadcast HD is either 1080I or 720P which smokes DVDs. As a matter of fact HD pretty much killed my DVD watching.

I think you're missing the point. It's not that anyone doesn't think the quality is better; it's that your system is only as good as your weakest link. Should someone with a 19" CRT invest in a BluRay player? No need!

I think you're missing the point. It's not that anyone doesn't think the quality is better; it's that your system is only as good as your weakest link. Should someone with a 19" CRT invest in a BluRay player? No need!

that is for sure true. I know some bands release in both formats (DMB comes to mind-yes much bigger animal but whatever). That would be great. BTW saw you had a 50" in 720 DLP. 56" here-Samsung. I love me some HD :thumbup

that is for sure true. I know some bands release in both formats (DMB comes to mind-yes much bigger animal but whatever). That would be great. BTW saw you had a 50" in 720 DLP. 56" here-Samsung. I love me some HD :thumbup

Yeah mine is a Samsung too. It is great, but again, I find the quality difference between true HD (of which I can get 720p and 1080i) to be not THAT much better than my upconverted DVD player. I see the difference, but it isn't compelling me to buy new equipment.

Back on topic (sorta), I seriously doubt Wilco would release this ONLY on BluRay. They will either release it in both formats or just DVD. The market for BluRay is still a fraction of the overall market for DVD/home video and they would be shooting themselves in the foot to limit their sales in that way.

Yeah mine is a Samsung too. It is great, but again, I find the quality difference between true HD (of which I can get 720p and 1080i) to be not THAT much better than my upconverted DVD player. I see the difference, but it isn't compelling me to buy new equipment.

Back on topic (sorta), I seriously doubt Wilco would release this ONLY on BluRay. They will either release it in both formats or just DVD. The market for BluRay is still a fraction of the overall market for DVD/home video and they would be shooting themselves in the foot to limit their sales in that way.

If the difference isnt that big to you, I guess you can wait. Is your HD hooked up in HDMI? You can go to any Best Buy and see the quality of Blu-ray.

Yeah, nothing is released in Blu-ray only.

From your comments I'd question on whether you even seen that many Blu Ray's? Blu Ray is without a doubt much better quality in both picture and audio than a standard dvd. There has yet to be one Blu Ray reviewed that didn't score higher marks than its DVD counterpart. Every Blu Ray has to be remastered/transferred to 1080p and most have at the least 24bit TruHD audio surround. The movie you reference with Sleepy Hollow is considered to be one of the worst transfers out there, this is not an example of the norm. That movie has always looked like crap anyways. That being said, I agree with you that I wish HD DVD would have fared better or won, though I gotta disagree about Blu Ray's bright future. The Dark Knight sold nearly 2 million copies in the U.S. in its first week alone. It's the only technology that Sony has EVER shared with competitors, the momentum will continue to grow with PS3 sales and new $150 Blu Ray players. DVD's aren't going anywhere for the time being, but the could very well be irrelevant within 2-3 years. There is already talk of some companies simply not producing anymore standard dvd players.

Enthusiasts that previously had not heard of Wilco would be tempted to pick this up because some of the concert films that are already out on Blu Ray are absolutely stunning... and with 24bit TruHD Audio, the surround replicates the concert experience like no other. If adapters picked up the Hannah Montana concert without hesitation because it got great reviews, its pretty safe to say there would be quite a few blind buyers for this film as well. There is a thread about 8 pages long on hidefdigest about the IATTBYH Blu Ray, with the majority of poster's not having a clue who Wilco is

I have seen plenty of BR. And as a matter of fact I know a thing or two about video because I work as a video editor. So I know what BR is all about. Two things you discount is 1.) Majority of HD sets in homes are 720p and are 32" and below. And like I stated previously, on large screens and digital projection systems there is a big difference. But on that size sorry no. The biggest advantage is being able to view material in widescreen. There is only a 240 line of resolution difference than standard def material. 2.) You go on about audio when the majority of people don't have any surround or stereo setup. They simply use the built in speakers of their televisions. So the difference will again be minimal.

I said I own a BR player and rent them all the time from Netflix and blockbuster. I have authored and encoded them for clients. They look better but it's not the night and difference to the general public as VHS and DVD was. Now if they force it down everyone's throats and stop making DVD players, then maybe it will succeed. And I will be happy to buy them when I can get them for $10 a pop like I can with DVDs now. Until then I will buy a few here and there. But sorry in 2 or 3 years we are going to be lucky to be back on track economically in this country, so DVDs will be around for awhile.

And I am sure there are threads in HI DEF forums about Wilco releases. That is the 8% market I was referring to. 2 million is a good number of BR for Dark Knight not but compared to overall sales of the Dark Knight it's still not even a quarter of it's sales. And I said before, I hope Wilco releases this on both formats. And yes, I will personally buy the BR. But Wilco is my favorite band so I would. But I agree you are out of your mind if you think by simply releasing this on BR tons of people will buy this just for the BR experience not knowing who Wilco is. Some will no argument there. And I think the more people who hear them will like them so I hope they do expand their audience. Still best chance for that is getting it shown in HD on Paladium or something. And a majority who would buy and not just DVR it would most likely buy the DVD. I see the future as the NetFlix boxes which give you access to their whole library for a fee. Most will be offered in HD. With all the upscaling DVD players out there I think most will opt for that until the download technology flourishes. I see BR as the new Laserdisc unless as you say Sony buys out the manufacturers, like they did WB to stop supporting HD DVD, and gets them to stop making DVD players. But I really don't see that likely to happen. I mean you can still buy cassette decks and VHS players.

All valid points FutureAge, and I'd have to agree with most of your claims. I don't think the downloading age will catch on as much as it did with music however, people are always gonna want to own something tangible that they can hold in their hand, especially with special edition movies and packaging. There is NO re-sale value with downloading a movie or album.

Did you photoshop this? :worship

av-12446.jpg

No, wish I could take that credit.... I stole this from the amazon.ca pre-order page that has been delayed. (was supposed to be released 1/20)

You can bet your bottom dollar that I will photoshop AoAF as soon as that gets come cover art though.

I think the bridge shot is from westbound I-255 crossing the Jefferson Barracks (JB) Bridge of the Mississippi River near Belleville, IL. There could be other similar bridges, of course.

Google aerial map of JB Bridge

Jefferson_Barracks_Bridge_1993_flood_cropped.jpg

JB Bridge facing southwest during 1993 flood.

Sorry about the image size. I'm not sure how to control it.

I think the bridge shot is from westbound I-255 crossing the Jefferson Barracks (JB) Bridge of the Mississippi River near Belleville, IL. There could be other similar bridges, of course.

Google aerial map of JB Bridge

Jefferson_Barracks_Bridge_1993_flood_cropped.jpg

JB Bridge facing southwest during 1993 flood.

Sorry about the image size. I'm not sure how to control it.

The little squares on the bridge on the cover look rounded, that one doesn't.

I watched the trailer for the first time just now and this thing is going to be incredible. I cannot wait.

No, no, no...you've got it all wrong. You're supposed to find something to bitch or complain about. Anything from the setlist to camera angles to cover art to Jeff's pronounciation of "asterisk" is fair game.