some DVD info, but mostly about Blu-Ray

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To whom? It actually looks like a viable HD format. Especially as more homes move to HD televisions and the prices of Blu-Ray players and movies come down.

As far as market integration and saturation, aren't Blu-Ray's numbers comparable or even better than DVD's at this point in its life?

That'd be a resounding no, I'm afraid.

As for Blu-Ray being a dead format, sure, it's too early to call it, but it's struggling in a way that DVD never did in its early development. Prices are still drastically higher than DVD in most markets, it's catching on very slowly (it's basically a cult format at this point), and we've even got electronics giants like Samsung proclaiming that even if it manages to catch on (which it hasn't yet), Blu-Ray probably doesn't have more than another five years before it's replaced by a more viable format. One, we can only hope, that doesn't whirr and clunk and take forever to load data like a next-gen video game console c. 1995.

Blu-Ray? Phoo(ey)-Ray! (Yeah, that's the best I could do. Sigh.)

As for Blu-Ray being a dead format, sure, it's too early to call it, but it's struggling in a way that DVD never did in its early development. Prices are still drastically higher than DVD in most markets, it's catching on very slowly (it's basically a cult format at this point), and we've even got electronics giants like Samsung proclaiming that even if it manages to catch on (which it hasn't yet), Blu-Ray probably doesn't have more than another five years before it's replaced by a more viable format. One, we can only hope, that doesn't whirr and clunk and take forever to load data like a next-gen video game console c. 1995.

HAHA. Great Post. Looks like some members here bought the Sony hype and marketing campaign. There really doesn't seem anything to argue about anyways with this release. No BR has been announced and my guess is that Wilco is not releasing one. So much for the BR revolution. And you are 100% right the format itself sucks and loading times and firmware updates and different machine profiles is not the way to launch a new format. Blu Ray=the new Laserdisc.

AOTAF will be a kick ass release on either format. I'm just hoping for an uncompressed PCM track if it's only released on DVD. I'm jealous of the Chicago screening too. Maybe they will end up screening it in a few cities. That is undoubtedly the best way to see this concert/documentary.

struggling?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2357

Pioneer's engineers were able to store 500 GBs of data in 20 layers on a single BluRay disc, which indicates the format has way more potential than you'd give it credit for. And as for the slowness, whirring and clunking of first gen players, I remind you there was once a 1x CD burner that burned discs at speeds 50 times slower than what is available today. These things too take some time to improve.

17% is still remarkably slow growth. The PS3 hasn't had even half the impact on Blu-Ray sales that the PS2 did, to Sony's chagrin. In spite of the format's much vaunted storage capacity, I still see BR as little more than an enormous consumer hose-down.

That some people are so willing to embrace a new format less than 10 years after DVD achieved market dominance, especially during a recession - and especially when most consumers are ill-equipped to realize the practical advantages of watching Blu-Ray discs - makes me think of things like shuffling, mindless zombies.

Oh, and fuckin' yuppies, with whom this board is littered.

I thought only yuppies would say "with whom".

Not really. I've certainly failed to spot a correlation between good grammar and having more money than common sense, at least.

Sometimes TheMaker gets worked up over stuff.

Hey, now! All I did was bring an element of truth into a discussion about an unpopular format. As usual, the folks who are getting worked up are the ones who accept everything they're told without ever questioning it. I can't fairly be held accountable for their lack of reason, certainly.

Hey, now! All I did was bring an element of truth into a discussion about an unpopular format. As usual, the folks who are getting worked up are the ones who accept everything they're told without ever questioning it. I can't fairly be held accountable for their lack of reason, certainly.

Well, you did kind of bring the personal smack-down element into it...

Let's all just try to keep it civil, and on-topic. Or has that ship already sailed? And sunk?

Again, I'd like to refer people to a thread that has some pretty good actual information about the DVD: http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?sho...=37877&st=0

Pioneer's engineers were able to store 500 GBs of data in 20 layers on a single BluRay disc, which indicates the format has way more potential than you'd give it credit for. And as for the slowness, whirring and clunking of first gen players, I remind you there was once a 1x CD burner that burned discs at speeds 50 times slower than what is available today. These things too take some time to improve.

Dude....all BR players do that not just the first generation ones. Face it the format has a lot of shortfalls and is not destined for mainstream adoption. But like I said, both BR and DVD can exist at the same time just like VHS and LD did. And given the low price of external hard drives now there is just not the use/demand of media based data storage there once was. If Sony want to charge $2 a disc for 500 GB of storage I would buy that but that will never happen. Sony is way too greedy for that.

And I am personally pissed I had to shell out $600 for a ext. burner just to satisfy clients for a format that is destined for a niche market at best. They still don't even make internal burners for MAC under a $1000 and none of the Pro Apps support it yet. Just the consumer Toast app. So behind the scenes there is still a format war as most see any disc based media as numbered in it's days of mainstream use. And most don't like how Sony bought out the competition. HD DVD was able to be made with my current equipment and no region coding. Imagine that a universal disc. But no BR the inferior and more costly format won out. Good luck with that Sony. It's a terrible not consumer/general public friendly format. And something better will come up out in a few years. Save your $$$$.

I just don't see how you are ready to declare the format dead this early in its life, especially so soon after it won its little battle with HD-DVD. Prices for players are coming down, along with prices for Blu-Ray burners. Plus, more and more people are buying HD TVs as those prices start coming down, too.

The fact that these players are backwards-compatible with DVDs makes it easier, IMO, to adopt the new format. Especially as prices for the movies come down.

And there really isn't a new format on the horizon. Who is going to take the time and expense to introduce something now? Especially in the current economic climate we sit in.

Personally, I have no stake in the matter. It doesn't matter to me. But as soon as these prices fall to appropriate levels (and Blu-Ray players are going ot be showing up on house brand labels soon), I'll be buying a Blu-Ray player. I don't think people will necessarily re-buy their entire catalog of movies upon making the switch to Blu-Ray, but new movies will really start to fly off shelves, much like The Dark Knight did. So you probably won't see a lot of catalog titles in the near future. But the Blu-Ray section at Best Buy and other stores just keeps growing. And restorations of classics like The Godfather look amazing on Blu-Ray. The difference in quality is striking.

And most don't like how Sony bought out the competition. HD DVD was able to be made with my current equipment and no region coding. Imagine that a universal disc. But no BR the inferior and more costly format won out. Good luck with that Sony. It's a terrible not consumer/general public friendly format. And something better will come up out in a few years. Save your $$$$.

Ironically, back in the day, it was Betamax (again from Sony) which was superior in picture quality, less video noise / distortion and better sound quality than VHS, but the inferior format won out due to JVC overglutting the market with cheap VHS players / recorders.