WILCO April 14, 15 @ Pabst in MKE

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little bummed. I thought they would add some Florida dates for April after reading this off pitchfork.com

Anyone know what happened?

I don't really consider Milwaukee, Indiana, and Ohio part of the south... damn... Florida gets screwed again (though we sold out their last show in Jacksonville).

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news...ile-we-were-out

WILCO TO RELEASE LIVE DVD; JEFF TWEEDY'S SON REVEALED TO BE A SURPRISINGLY GOOD BLOGGER

The day before Christmas, Wilco sent out an email newsletter outlining their plans for 2009. In addition to a new album in the spring, the band will release the concert DVD Ashes of American Flags in February or March via Nonesuch. Consisting of footage from Wilco's February 2008 tour in support of latest album Sky Blue Sky, Ashes of American Flags was created by Brendan Canty (yes, the drummer from Fugazi) and Christoph Green at Trixie Films.

Wilco will hit the road in the South in April, including a show at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival on April 25, and will hit Spain in May. In January, Jeff Tweedy will play a trio of Midwestern solo shows, while Nels Cline will tour California with various combos.

On a (literally) related note, if you'd like to feel woefully inadequate as a blogger, writer, or human being in general, check out Jeff's son Spencer Tweedy's blog, which everybody seemed to discover the week before Christmas. A shockingly erudite 13-year-old, Spencer writes about world travel (he's hanging out with his dad and Neil Finn in New Zealand right now), technology, music, politics, and Bar/Bat Mitzvot. Let's hope he doesn't discover drugs or sex any time soon.

Wed Apr 22 '09 (8:00PM) Birmingham, AL

Sloss Furnaces

Oh gosh the Sloss Furnaces sucks as a venue. I don't know why they wouldn't play the Alabama Theater in Bhm. They played there the night they won the Grammies and then Tweedy played solo there a few years ago. It is a beautiful place with a great sound. Sloss freakin' Furnaces... awful, awful venue. The only benefit is that it will be general admission...

YES! I'm very excited about the milwaukee shows and so glad that they're playing the Pabst instead of the Rave

The Rave is probably the worst venue I've ever seen a show at. After seeing Andrew Bird and Wilco there a couple years back and hearing nothing but echos the entire show, I have vowed never to go back there regardless of who's playing.

Worst. Venue. Ever.

Thank god for the Pabst.

Been thinking about whether or not I want to go to the Asheville show. As much as I'd hate to miss a Wilco show close by, it's a four hour round trip on a Tuesday night, plus I hate the Thomas Wolfe auditorium. Decisions, decisions.

The Rave is probably the worst venue I've ever seen a show at. After seeing Andrew Bird and Wilco there a couple years back and hearing nothing but echos the entire show, I have vowed never to go back there regardless of who's playing.

Worst. Venue. Ever.

Thank god for the Pabst.

Yep. Not only is the sound crap, the rest of the place is falling apart, too. I've decided that I won't go there again unless it's a band I can't bear to miss under any circumstances. Wilco, for example.

Wed Apr 22 '09 (8:00PM) Birmingham, AL

Sloss Furnaces

Oh gosh the Sloss Furnaces sucks as a venue. I don't know why they wouldn't play the Alabama Theater in Bhm. They played there the night they won the Grammies and then Tweedy played solo there a few years ago. It is a beautiful place with a great sound. Sloss freakin' Furnaces... awful, awful venue. The only benefit is that it will be general admission...

I'm with you on this. The Alabama Theater is such a great venue.

Mon Apr 20 '09 Athens, GA The Classic Center Grand Hall

Is this where they played in spring 2006?

I recall that it was general admission and folks were unhappy with the setup (or maybe sound)?

Any go to the athens GA show in 2006?

Worst. Venue. Ever.

Thank god for the Pabst.

Yep last show I saw there was that ABird and Wilco show. The sound was really off especially for Birds set. I hae no plans to ever go back.

Mon Apr 20 '09 Athens, GA The Classic Center Grand Hall

Is this where they played in spring 2006?

I recall that it was general admission and folks were unhappy with the setup (or maybe sound)?

Any go to the athens GA show in 2006?

Yeah, the sound in the room of the classic center where they played in 06 is certainly underwhelming. That said, there is a theater side of the classic center that sounds great.

Yep last show I saw there was that ABird and Wilco show. The sound was really off especially for Birds set. I hae no plans to ever go back.

That's the one I attended too. I won't even go back for Wilco, it was seriously that bad. I think even the guys realized it that night. At one point I remember Jeff poking fun at Glenn and Glenn having absolutely no idea what Jeff was saying because the echo was so bad.

Been thinking about whether or not I want to go to the Asheville show. As much as I'd hate to miss a Wilco show close by, it's a four hour round trip on a Tuesday night, plus I hate the Thomas Wolfe auditorium. Decisions, decisions.

Oh the wife and I are so there. C'mon, it'll be another chance to grab a beer with us. :)

Whats wrong with the Thomas Wolfe?

Whats wrong with the Thomas Wolfe?

My experience there is that there's no crowd control at all for a seated venue. None. It's a big mass of people who all want to be in the 1st row and nobody does anything to stop them. I don't know that I'm the only one who's had that experience, but I know you can't leave your seat because you'll never get back to it. And even if you did make it back, it would probably be occupied by someone else.

Other than that, it's okay. Not the best or worst venue around. I'll be there, but I live just down the road a short distance.

The Pabst is small but comparable to the Vic Theatre i believe. 500 seats maybe....i know a guy who works there and he said tickets are $35 and there will be an opening band. 8pm show. usually when the Pabst announces the show the tickets go onsale shortly there after so i would expect within the week hopefully.

wow, im excited.