WILCO April 14, 15 @ Pabst in MKE

My experience there is that there's no crowd control at all for a seated venue. None. It's a big mass of people who all want to be in the 1st row and nobody does anything to stop them. I don't know that I'm the only one who's had that experience, but I know you can't leave your seat because you'll never get back to it. And even if you did make it back, it would probably be occupied by someone else.

Other than that, it's okay. Not the best or worst venue around. I'll be there, but I live just down the road a short distance.

I've been to a lot of shows there and the only time that I experienced that was for an Arcade Fire show and that was because the band invited people up front. Were you at that show?

From a venue perspective, the only knock I have on it is if you are all the way in the back in the orchestra and under the balcony because the sound suffers.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the sound in the room of the classic center where they played in 06 is certainly underwhelming. That said, there is a theater side of the classic center that sounds great.

There were a couple other issues I remember. To me, it seemed the stage was entirely too low so it was hard to see the band. The other was that you could buy beer there but you had to drink it in an area in the back of the venue that was roped off.

Overall, it was one of the worst venues I have been to over the past decade or so.

My experience there is that there's no crowd control at all for a seated venue. None. It's a big mass of people who all want to be in the 1st row and nobody does anything to stop them. I don't know that I'm the only one who's had that experience, but I know you can't leave your seat because you'll never get back to it. And even if you did make it back, it would probably be occupied by someone else.

Other than that, it's okay. Not the best or worst venue around. I'll be there, but I live just down the road a short distance.

That's the same experience I had. It's the worst Wilco show I have been to. I was on the aisle and once Wilco came on and people started crowding everywhere, I couldn't see a thing. Maybe I should get a balcony seat this time if I decide to go.

I might be over excited about it...to think of Wilco layin' it on thick (two nights!!!! I still can't get over it. This is Milwaukee, dammit!) in a beautiful theater with awesome acoustics makes me :D .

I think it would be fun to get some people together at the Safe House beforehand (either night...or both), no?

I think it would be fun to get some people together at the Safe House beforehand (either night...or both), no?

HELL, and let me also add, YES!

Pabst capacity is 1345 people. Still, I imagine tickets will go quickly. I wonder if it's GA or reserved seating.

I have never, ever read about or attended a show at the Pabst that was GA...until I looked around at the Pabst's webpage. I don't know whether to hope for GA or for reserved seats...

HELL, and let me also add, YES!

I have never, ever read about or attended a show at the Pabst that was GA...until I looked around at the Pabst's webpage. I don't know whether to hope for GA or for reserved seats...

Haha...every show i've ever been to at the Pabst has been GA. So there ya go.

(I'm really hoping it's GA, but I somehow sense that it won't be that way... :unsure )

Someone's going to have to show me where the secret passageway is at the SH. I've been there twice with no luck in finding it, although I did have to do the "I'm a little teapot" dance the last time...

p.s. In light of my teapot-dancing, Safe House virgins won't be hearing the password from me. I would hope that the rest of us VCers who've been there before won't give it away, either...

That's the same experience I had. It's the worst Wilco show I have been to. I was on the aisle and once Wilco came on and people started crowding everywhere, I couldn't see a thing. Maybe I should get a balcony seat this time if I decide to go.

Hey, isn't Athens Georgie about the same distance for you? The Classic Center looks nice.

I don't know whether to hope for GA or for reserved seats...

Yeah, it's a mixed bag. You didn't see Bon Iver there, GA, in August? For some reason I thought you had.

oops sorry yeah 500 seats....i was a little short. Im bad at sizing up a venue. Believe me, ive been there many times.....honestly.

Im sorry but i still cant believe Wilco is doing a two-night stand in Milwaukee. not that the city or venue doesnt deserve it or not worthy of it. Im just glad they've switched to the Pabst over Eagles Ballroom. No way they'd do a two-night stay at Eagles.

To me, it shows that Milwaukee is improving on the music scene. The reopening-renovations of Pabst, Riverside and now Turner Ballroom has started a new era in live music in MKE. im also happy to drive 5 minutes to see my favorite band instead of the usual 2-6 hour drive.

I have never, ever read about or attended a show at the Pabst that was GA...

Really? I've gone to the Pabst a lot, and it's almost always GA.

To me, it shows that Milwaukee is improving on the music scene. The reopening-renovations of Pabst, Riverside and now Turner Ballroom has started a new era in live music in MKE. im also happy to drive 5 minutes to see my favorite band instead of the usual 2-6 hour drive.

Agreed on all counts (except for the drive, which for me is about 50 minutes).

I was at the Athens show in 2006 and thought it was pretty unpleasant. Of course going in I didn't know it was basically a giant basement with no seats. Call me old for not wanting to stand and elbow bump. The sound wasn't the best, as others have pointed out. But I was mostly put off by the bratty college kids who weren't paying attention and talked the whole time.

On the up side, Asheville here I come!

I was at the Athens show in 2006 and thought it was pretty unpleasant. Of course going in I didn't know it was basically a giant basement with no seats. Call me old for not wanting to stand and elbow bump. The sound wasn't the best, as others have pointed out. But I was mostly put off by the bratty college kids who weren't paying attention and talked the whole time.

On the up side, Asheville here I come!

Giant basement with no seats?

4-1179267395_pic4.JPG

Are you sure it was the Classic Center in Athens Ga where you saw them?

Regardless of the bad things I've heard about the Wolfe in Asheville, I think I'll take my chances.. Maybe the show will be reserved seating or I can try for a balcony seat.

Asheville is just a great city for music. Any concert I've ever attended in Asheville, the audience was always very well behaved. A lot of friendly hippie folks in the area that are used to great bands coming to town. :)

All right Bloomington!

Looks like they're kicking off Little 500 week again. They put on a great show here 3 years ago. (Man, has it been that long?) Jeff had some classic stage banter with the crowd. Even referencing a tread here on Via Chicago about rowdy drunk students. Hilarious.

Giant basement with no seats?

4-1179267395_pic4.JPG

Are you sure it was the Classic Center in Athens Ga where you saw them?

Regardless of the bad things I've heard about the Wolfe in Asheville, I think I'll take my chances.. Maybe the show will be reserved seating or I can try for a balcony seat.

Asheville is just a great city for music. Any concert I've ever attended in Asheville, the audience was always very well behaved. A lot of friendly hippie folks in the area that are used to great bands coming to town. :)

I was at the show in Athens at the Classic Center and at Thomas Wolfe in Asheville the last time they played there and the show in Athens is the worst Wilco show i ever saw and it had nothing to do with the band. The place is like watching a band play in a high school gymnasium. The sound was horrible I think they actually had a beer section that you coudl drink your beer in but could not go into the crowd with it (that is minor the sound is the real problem)

I want to see Wilco but i don't know if i can handle the Calssic Center again it was that bad. that picture is not where they played when i saw them there were no seats

I'm not sure what the problems are with the negativity about Thomas Wolfe though. I saw that show and thought it was pretty good. I had not problem getting ot my seats and no one was trying to get into my seat or whatever some of the complaints were.

I just can't take the time off of work to get to asheville so i guess my only option will be the shitty classic center :(

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pabst shows are moved to the Riverside, like Neko's were...

Thank God they're not playing at the Rave again...

I thought about that (moving to the Riverside) but I'm hoping that won't happen. Usually a show gets moved to the Riverside when the tickets sell better or more quickly than expected. But even before these tickets go on sale, they have to assume both will sell out. The concert announcements make mention of "special nights" at the "intimate Pabst." It just sounds to me like the Pabst was a conscious decision for this. (If that's wishful thinking, well, I'll just go along with it for now.)

I noticed on the Classic Center's website that The Etiquette & Leadership Institute is having a seminar during the day there. I might show up early so that I can learn how to shake hands.

A sampling of the topics in the etiquette programs you will be certified to present include:

After seeing Andrew Bird and Wilco there a couple years back and hearing nothing but echos the entire show, I have vowed never to go back there regardless of who's playing.

Worst. Venue. Ever.

Thank god for the Pabst.

Rave/Eagles boycotters unite!

I made the same promise after the same show!

I moved to Milwauk about 3 years ago, and saw the following shows at the Rave: X (I cried - the sound was terrible). Black Keys (I cried again - sound was terrible on my birthday!). Regina Spektor - surprisingly, the sound was good, but it was only Regina and her piano... Then Wilco was my last show there...

Never again!

I was at the show in Athens at the Classic Center and at Thomas Wolfe in Asheville the last time they played there and the show in Athens is the worst Wilco show i ever saw and it had nothing to do with the band. The place is like watching a band play in a high school gymnasium. The sound was horrible I think they actually had a beer section that you coudl drink your beer in but could not go into the crowd with it (that is minor the sound is the real problem)

I want to see Wilco but i don't know if i can handle the Calssic Center again it was that bad. that picture is not where they played when i saw them there were no seats

I'm not sure what the problems are with the negativity about Thomas Wolfe though. I saw that show and thought it was pretty good. I had not problem getting ot my seats and no one was trying to get into my seat or whatever some of the complaints were.

I just can't take the time off of work to get to asheville so i guess my only option will be the shitty classic center :(

I agree the open area isn't good for a show... if we are lucky Wilco will play the seated area this time around. I've seen several shows in both areas, so we can hope they go for the seated area. I enjoyed Thomas Wolfe last time too, but I guess we all have unpleasant venue issues... like in ATL, I can't stand Lakewood/HI-FI Buys/ or whatever they are calling it now. The lawn is better but your so far away and the pit can get you hurt... like Jack Johnson recently, man I thought I was going to be mushed...

I'm just happy that Wilco is coming to town... Hey does any one know about the Birmingham show?

Sweet. I will see y'all for both nights in Milwaukee. I'd be up for the Safe House pre-game...but if it's a GA show, I'll be in line!

I think we can figure out a system such that we rotate in and out...or we can just drag some less- social friends along to be our line-holders.

:stunned