Question on Jeff's Guitars

Someone posted in another forum a question I have been wondering as well. Does anybody know the small 0 or parlor guitar (not sure which) that Jeff always plays solo and with the band. It has an light aged-look to it and a slotted headstock. He played it nearly exclusively at the last two Vic solo shows and heavily in Urbana as well. It is not his signature model, that is larger...a 000 I think...and has a very light natural top. It is MUCH smaller than all of the rest of his guitars that he normally plays.

Thak you for the quick reply. Really nice sounding guitar. Now I know why...maybe I can pick one up for less than 5 digits :)

good luck on that! :stunned

this one?

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?act...ost&id=1314

Yeah, looks like a 00-18?

i think a OOO-18------more narrow than a OO but i could be wrong my dad has one just like it...could be mine one day?

Hi fellers,

If you can find one I have an 0-16NY that's just awesome. It's kinda like an O sized pre-war Martin slot head. I had an ebony pyramid bridge put on...bone saddle and bridgepins and I can't express in words how much I love it. Snagged mine for around a grand.

Best-

god my wife would kill me if I get one of these. these guitars are priceless. Not even that I have the money for them. I don't have 5k. But if I had more money, it wouldnt matter if they cost $100,000.

Also, have we resolved that Jeff plays a 00-18 or is that still up for discussion? I really don't think that body for the 0-18 or 000-18 looks right.

To me, it looks like a 0-18, but what do I know. I'm not sure of how pre-war Martin body styles differed from post-war body styles, or if they did at all, but if they have remained the same over the years, I think it is 0-18 just because of how small it is. The 00 body style just may be too big still...that is just my guess. It looks a lot like the 00 pic, but my guess it is a 0 body style like the one for sale in previous post. But like I said your guess is as good as mine...

This is how I deduced this, please take it for what it is worth: as far as I know, most guitar body styles, not all but most, have been adopted from the Martin line. Parlor, 0, 00, 000, Dreadnaught, 0000, Jumbo..something like that (this could be off a bit, but you get the picture). Just judging from Jeff's line of guitars that he uses for his solo shows, and the wide variety of sizes, this is how I come up with a 0. His Gibson and 12-string Martin are both Dreadnaughts...the biggest guitars he plays. Then he has his Breedlove signature model...awesome...that is a 000, the next biggest he plays. Then he has his Breedlove (not sure of the model) which is smaller than the sig model, but not by a lot, and that is his 00 model. Then there is the pre-war Martin...when you see them lined up on stage it is TINY even compared to the 00 Breedlove. When not being played by Jeff it seriously looked like a toy comparatively...a very, very expensive toy. So, that is my logic. Not a lockdown by any means, but logic nonetheless.

To me, it looks like a 0-18, but what do I know. I'm not sure of how pre-war Martin body styles differed from post-war body styles, or if they did at all, but if they have remained the same over the years, I think it is 0-18 just because of how small it is. The 00 body style just may be too big still...that is just my guess. It looks a lot like the 00 pic, but my guess it is a 0 body style like the one for sale in previous post. But like I said your guess is as good as mine...

Yeah, i should edit my post. I meant to say that it looks like an 0-18, not a 00-18 or 000-18. The body is just too small.

His Gibson and 12-string Martin are both Dreadnaughts...the biggest guitars he plays.

This is usually true - especially of late. But Jeff does have a beautiful Gibson SJ-200 in his arsenal. There is a vid (in the IATTBYH DVD?) with him playing Acuff Rose with it.

This is usually true - especially of late. But Jeff does have a beautiful Gibson SJ-200 in his arsenal. There is a vid (in the IATTBYH DVD?) with him playing Acuff Rose with it.

You're right. I have seen him play that one...I think...is that the one with the flower pattern on the pick guard? If so, I have seen him play that one. And if I'm not mistaken, that one, or another one that he has that is similar, is an Epiphone from his Uncle Tupelo days.

• 1 year later...

I didn't know where else to put this, but I think Jeff whipped out an 00-18E in Montclair. It was during the acoustic set, and I think it was for Dreamer in My Dreams.

It was definitely a Martin, and it definitely had some crazy gold knobs like this, and since I know Jeff tends to prefer mahogany, this is my guess (the one on the left):

myacoustics.jpg

Guest Speed Racer

I heard from someone that Jeff's came from Willie's Guitars in St. Paul.

Right before he appeared with it, Willie's had a pre-war model like that in stock for $128,000. Wilco came through town, and it was no longer in inventory, and a few weeks later he appeared on stage with the guitar in question.

Right before he appeared with it, Willie's had a pre-war model like that in stock for $128,000. Wilco came through town, and it was no longer in inventory, and a few weeks later he appeared on stage with the guitar in question.

In Montclair on Sat night someone threw something at Jeff between songs and it hit him and his guitar -- the one that I think we all think is the 0-18. I had been drooling over the guitar the entire night to that point. I literally winced as it hit the guitar because I didn't know what it was. Turns out it was just some TShirt with a NJ logo on it, and Jeff was good natured about it. It actually made a thud when it hit the guitar but it must have been because it jostled the pickup or something. I guess a tshirt really can't do any damage. But for a split second it actually freaked me out a bit. This was when I assumed the guitar was in the 10-15k range.

That guitar is so sweet.

$128,000.

It's cool that Wilco will actually USE guitars like this on the road. Usually when bands have valuable or historic guitars (like ZZ Top or the Stones), they will retire them for various reasons and lock them away in secured vaults.

It's cool that Wilco will actually USE guitars like this on the road. Usually when bands have valuable or historic guitars (like ZZ Top or the Stones), they will retire them for various reasons and lock them away in secured vaults.

Agreed. Guitars are meant to be played.