The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe they sold out or maybe Dylan is boycotting them or something. Anyway, what makes this the "official" Dylan thread, anyway?

there was a vagabond ramshackle DIY quality Dylan thread out there in viachicagoville that resulted in Columbia Record lawyers getting involved,

so it decided for the best to strike from the record.

That video for Duquesne Whistle is horrible. It looks like a women's underwear commercial directed by David Lynch.

For me, it was kind of a cross between 500 days of Summer and Good Fellas.

The bit with Dylan and the odd entourage did make me smile (especially the guy dressed like Gene Simmons)

Maybe they sold out or maybe Dylan is boycotting them or something. Anyway, what makes this the "official" Dylan thread, anyway?

Because it says so in the title of the thread. I wouldn't mind if the other Tempest threads merged into this one.

Speaking of Tempest, heard it twice - so far I enjoy it quite a bit. Musically it sounds great - need to listen to it a few more times to digest the lyrics.

For me, it was kind of a cross between 500 days of Summer and Good Fellas.

The bit with Dylan and the odd entourage did make me smile (especially the guy dressed like Gene Simmons)

He calls Gene "Mr. Kiss". They have wrote songs together.

• 2 months later...

I just saw this on Expecting Rain (from Isis):

Bootleg Series 10 Release    

Quite some time ago, it was hinted that Dylan’s people wanted to rehabilitate “Dylan”, the 1973 album that Columbia put out when Dylan left them for Asylum Records.

A little later (October 22, 2012), ISIS suggested that recording sessions from 1969 / 1970 were being considered. In particular, we had heard mention of “Self Portrait” sessions.

More recently, the rumours have focused on “stripped down” material from “Self Portrait” – that is, recordings from the “Self Portrait” sessions but without the overdubs and, what we might call, the peripheral stuff. Some of these tracks could be previously unreleased outtakes, while other tracks previously released material but without the overdubs. Our various sources, quite separately, seem excited by this prospect.

A recast version of “Self Portrait” seems unlikely to constitute a double-CD Bootleg Series release. Nevertheless, there would certainly be many recordings from the period on which to draw for such a Bootleg Series release.

Finally, we should point out that Dylan’s staff are apparently working on a number of different projects at the moment, that everything is subject to change (even at the last minute) and that the final decision will not rest with executives at Sony.

as they are saying over on ER, Columbia could be trying to assemble future Bootleg series in the format of Tell Tale Signs, where they'll cover a span of years with outtakes, previously released rarities and live tracks and be hugely successful:

1.  the Self-Portrait outtakes that don't circulate (only among the super-insiders) are supposed to be really great.

2.  we could also get New Morning and Nashville Skyline outtakes (we've seen a few as iTunes bonus tracks recently: "Lay, Lady, Lay" [rehearsal], alternate "Went To See The Gypsy," etc.

3.  plus some stuff from the Dylan/Cash and Dylan/Harrison sessions, which aren't great, but a few tracks here and there

4.  various live cuts from the few concerts during that era (Isle of Wight, etc.)

i'd buy it.

but then of course, i'd buy any new Dylan release whatsoever, so...

-justin

Yup me too, but that doesn't mean much. 

If they wanted to make some serious dough they should beat all the boots and release every single basement tape take from all the best sources in one big box set and be done with it.  That's what most people want, not the Cash or Harrison sessions which from what I have heard are only so so (Cash being better than Harrison.)  Meanwhile some high quaility performances from the gospel years in the same vein as the Rolling Thunder Review set would be in order too.

LouieB

yeah, Basement Tapes are a must.  i think there might even be more that didn't make it on the complete bootleg sets.  maybe they would have trouble clearing all of those covers?

i get what you are saying about that 1969-1970 period, but i think the entire 70s could use a lot of representation (New Morning outtakes, Planet Wave outtakes, Street Legal piano demos and/or Rundown rehearsals, the live songs from 78 that are not officially released, alternate Blood On The Tracks stuff,  the "I'm Cold" tapes if they exist, etcs.

-justin

• 1 month later...

Did anyone manage to grab this?

Sony Releases Limited Edition, 86-Track Bob Dylan Outtakes Collection In Europe

Last year, about 100 lucky Bob Dylan fans in Europe came across a pretty amazing find on record store shelves: a four-CD set titled The 50th Anniversary Collection. The set contains 86 Dylan songs recorded in 1962, including numerous takes of "Mixed Up Confusion," "Sally Gal," "That's All Right, Mama" and "Baby, Please Don't Go." Contrary to appearances, this was no bootleg. It's an official release from Sony and copies are already selling on eBay for upwards of $1,000.

"This isn't a scheme to make money," a Sony Music source tells Rolling Stone. "The copyright law in Europe was recently extended from 50 to 70 years for everything recorded in 1963 and beyond. With everything before that, there's a new 'Use It or Lose It' provision. It basically said, 'If you haven't used the recordings in the first 50 years, you aren't going to get any more.'"

Bob Dylan's 1962 debut LP became a part of the European public domain on January 1st, meaning anybody in Europe can release the music without paying Dylan one dime. "The whole point of copyrighting this stuff is that we intend to do something with it at some point in the future," says the source. "But it wasn't the right time to do it right after he released Tempest. There are other things we want to do in 2013 though."

Roughly 100 copies of the collection were given to random record stores in France, Germany, Sweden and the United Kingdom. Fans who logged onto Bob Dylan's official website from France or Germany in the final days of 2012 were also allowed to download the collection for 100 Euros.

Does anyone remember the Bob Dylan Tape Library? They were good people. I had them copy some VHS tapes for me - Eat The Document + Renaldo & Clara. This was a big deal back in the day. Blanks and postage between Australia and the U.S. was no small thing. The nice thing about the deal was that both times they put some extras on the end of the tapes. One of the extra segments I got was this nice little set from a TV show called The World of John Hammond:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvLLueTfVEo

I thought of this today when I went for a walk listening to Knight of the Hurricane. Rolling Thunder is definitely one of my favourite Dylan eras. It'd be nice to see some DVDs in the Bootleg Series released.