The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently bought all the Dylan albums that I have never owned. One of them being Before The Flood. They must have been on the cocaine for those shows.

Hard Rain

At Budokan

Empire Burlesque

Before the Flood

Down In The Groove

Dylan & The Dead

Slow Train Coming

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

Street Legal

Knocked Out Loaded

Real Live

Under The Red Sky

MTV Unplugged

Good As I Been to You

Saved

Before the Flood was one of my first Dylan cd's - I think it has the definite version of It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding). I think there was more coke in the Rollling Thunder years, but 74 is not far behind.

new US tour started... no Charlie

Buffalo, New York
SUNY Buffalo
Alumni Arena

April 5, 2013

1. Things Have Changed (Bob center stage, Donnie on pedal steel,
Duke on reddish orange hollow body electric, George on drums with brushes) 2. Love Sick (Bob center stage, Donnie on electric mandolin,
Duke on red hollow body electric) 3. High Water (For Charley Patton) (Bob center stage,
Donnie on banjo, Duke on red hollow body electric, Tony on standup bass) 4. Soon After Midnight (Bob standing at grand piano, Donnie on pedal steel,
Duke on red hollow body electric) 5. Early Roman Kings (Bob standing at grand piano, Donnie on lap steel,
Duke on red hollow body electric, Tony on standup bass, George on drums with brushes) 6. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob sitting at grand piano, Donnie on pedal steel,
Duke on red hollow body electric, George on drums with brushes) 7. Pay In Blood (Bob standing at grand piano, Donnie on pedal steel,
Duke on red hollow body electric, George on drums with brushes) 8. Visions Of Johanna (Bob sitting at grand piano, Donnie on electric mandolin,
Duke on red hollow body electric) 9. Spirit On The Water (Bob standing at grand piano and harp,
Donnie on pedal steel, Duke on red hollow body electric, George on drums with brushes) 10. Blind Willie McTell (Bob center stage with harp, Donnie on banjo,
Duke on red hollow body electric, Tony on standup bass) 11. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (Bob center stage with harp,
Donnie on electric mandolin, Duke on red hollow body electric,
Tony on white 6 string Fender bass) 12. What Good Am I? (Bob sitting at grand piano, Donnie on pedal steel,
Duke on red hollow body electric, Tony on white 6 string Fender bass,
George on drums with mallets) 13. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob standing at grand piano,
Donnie on lap steel, Duke on red hollow body electric,
Tony on white 6 string Fender bass, George on drums with brushes) 14. Scarlet Town (Bob sitting at grand piano, Donnie on banjo,
Duke on red hollow body electric, Tony on white 6 string Fender bass,
George on drums with brushes) 15. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob standing at grand piano,
Donnie on lap steel, Duke on red hollow body electric,
Tony on white 6 string Fender bass, George on drums with brushes)       (encore) 16. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob standing at grand piano and harp,
Donnie on lap steel, Duke on red hollow body electric)

This is the new guy:

When Bob Dylan opened his current tour on Friday night in Buffalo, he welcomed a new face to his band. Guitarist Charlie Sexton has stepped away and Duke Robillard is now in the fold. Robillard is a Rhode Island native who co-founded Roomful of Blues back in 1967. He remained with that group through 1990 (in 2005 he recorded Duke Meets the Earl with Ronnie Earl, who took over from Robillard as lead guitarist in Roomful before stepping out on his own as well). Robillard then joined The Fabulous Thunderbirds for a few years before focusing his efforts on the Duke Robillard Band.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone heard anymore on the upcoming volume of the Bootleg Series. Rumours were that we would get both Volumes 10 and 11 this year. I think Volume 10 is focusing on the Self Portraight sessions whcih could be interesting. That is such a strage album but there are half a dozen good songs on there so it could be interesting re-visiting these sessions.

I'll be in the second row at the Raleigh show. :D

I was 3 rows behind you! How did you like the show? Regardless of the fact that the setlists have been pretty much the same for the whole tour, it was still the best Dylan show I have seen. Did you notice the Raleigh cops watching the show from the steps of their building?

Great to hear that Dylan is more decipherable than in the recent past. I don't think I will pay to see him again, after numerous indecipherable shows, but still good to hear, particularly with AmericanaramA this summer.

Which has me thinking that Dylan could get blown out by MMJ and Wilco on this tour. Two bands with lots of firepower coming before him (three, on those RT Electric Trio dates), and then he comes out with 85 minutes of ragged blues. I know he always has a top notch band, but the vocals....

I was 3 rows behind you! How did you like the show? Regardless of the fact that the setlists have been pretty much the same for the whole tour, it was still the best Dylan show I have seen. Did you notice the Raleigh cops watching the show from the steps of their building?

I may have been 2nd row, but I was far right side. I couldn't notice the cops as I was sitting very close to where the constant stream of people were running back and forth to the beer stand, and, of course, the ushers have to check their tickets each time (basically there was a checkpoint five feet from me). I tried not to get too distracted by it though. I did enjoy the show very much. It was great to hear Dylan use his "recording voice" rather than to hear him continuing trying to do something we all know he cannot. I'm even more looking forward to seeing him in Va. Beach this summer because of how he performed at this show. I was asked to write a review. It's in the ATS section: http://viachicago.org/topic/48914-bob-dylan-may-2-2013-raleigh-nc-red-hat-amphitheater/

• 2 months later...

They mentioned those sessions with George Harrison there at the end. I've never really listened to that album all that much. I think this version of it sounds better to me. I generally prefer acoustic Dylan.

The Standard Version contains 35 tracks on 2 CD's, and soft cover perfect bound booklet
The Deluxe Version contains 4 CD's and two hardcover books housed in a hardcover slip case
Book # 1 contains 4 CD's and liner notes
Book # 2 contains the photos from John Cohen and Al Clayton.
The 2 bonus CD's will contain the newly remastered version of Self Portrait and the complete 17 song recording of Dylan & The Band performing live at the Isle Of Wight in 1969
The vinyl version contains 35 tracks on 3 LPs (and 2 CDs) plus a 12" x 12" booklet that includes the liner notes written by Greil Marcus, the essay from Michael Simmons, and the photographs from John Cohen and Al Clayton, and pictures of the original tape boxes and cue sheets.

I would buy the Deluxe Version for the Isle Of Wright show alone! I was wondering if that was ever coming out in full, unedited form. The stuff with George just sealed the deal.

This is really exciting!!! I thought I was the only one in the world who appreciated that period of Dylan.