The Official Bob Dylan Thread

I'd love to buy the 4-disc version, but Amazon is listing it at $125...

It seems these special boxset type releases get more expensive all the time. I'd like to have it also - but there is no way I can go for spending that sort of bread on a bunch of cds anymore.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tracklist:

The Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 - Another Self Portrait (1969-1971)
CD 1

1 Went To See The Gypsy (demo)
2 In Search Of Little Sadie (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
3 Pretty Saro (unreleased, Self Portrait)
4 Alberta #3 (alternate version, Self Portrait)
5 Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (unreleased, Self Portrait)
6 Annie's Going To Sing Her Song (unreleased, Self Portrait)
7 Time Passes Slowly #1 (alternate version, New Morning)
8 Only A Hobo (unreleased, Greatest Hits II)
9 Minstrel Boy (unreleased, The Basement Tapes)
10 I Threw It All Away (alternate version, Nashville Skyline)
11 Railroad Bill (unreleased, Self Portrait)
12 Thirsty Boots (unreleased, Self Portrait)
13 This Evening So Soon (unreleased, Self Portrait)
14 These Hands (unreleased, Self Portrait)
15 Little Sadie (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
16 House Carpenter (unreleased, Self Portrait)
17 All The Tired Horses (without overdubs, Self Portrait)

The Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 - Another Self Portrait (1969-1971)
CD 2

1 If Not For You (alternate version, New Morning)
2 Wallflower (alternate version, 1971)
3 Wigwam (original version without overdubs, Self Portrait)
4 Days Of '49 (original version without overdubs, Self Portrait)
5 Working On A Guru (unreleased, New Morning)
6 Country Pie (alternate version, Nashville Skyline)
7 I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Live With The Band, Isle Of Wight 1969)
8 Highway 61 Revisited (Live With The Band, Isle Of Wight 1969)
9 Copper Kettle (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
10 Bring Me A Little Water (unreleased, New Morning)
11 Sign On The Window (with orchestral overdubs, New Morning)
12 Tattle O'Day (unreleased, Self Portrait)
13 If Dogs Run Free (alternate version, New Morning)
14 New Morning (with horn section overdubs, New Morning)
15 Went To See The Gypsy (alternate version, New Morning)
16 Belle Isle (without overdubs, Self Portrait)
17 Time Passes Slowly #2 (alternate version, New Morning)
18 When I Paint My Masterpiece (demo)

Bob Dylan & The Band
Isle of Wight - August 31, 1969

1 She Belongs To Me
2 I Threw It All Away
3 Maggie's Farm
4 Wild Mountain Thyme
5 It Ain't Me, Babe
6 To Ramona/ Mr. Tambourine Man
7 I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine
8 Lay Lady Lay
9 Highway 61 Revisited
10 One Too Many Mornings
11 I Pity The Poor Immigrant
12 Like A Rolling Stone
13 I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
14 Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
15 Minstrel Boy
16 Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

Original album:

Side one

"All the Tired Horses" – 3:12

"Alberta #1" (Traditional) – 2:57

"I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know" (Cecil A. Null) – 2:23

"Days of 49" (Alan Lomax, John Lomax, Frank Warner) – 5:27

"Early Mornin' Rain" (Gordon Lightfoot) – 3:34

"In Search of Little Sadie" (Traditional) – 2:28

Side two

"Let It Be Me" (Gilbert Bécaud, Mann Curtis, Pierre Delanoë) – 3:00

"Little Sadie" (Traditional) – 2:00

"Woogie Boogie" – 2:06

"Belle Isle" (Traditional) – 2:30

"Living the Blues" – 2:42

"Like a Rolling Stone" – 5:18

Recorded live August 31, 1969 at the Isle of Wight Festival

Side three

"Copper Kettle" (Alfred Frank Beddoe) – 3:34

"Gotta Travel On" (Paul Clayton, Larry Ehrlich, David Lazar, Tom Six) – 3:08

"Blue Moon" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) – 2:29

"The Boxer" (Paul Simon) – 2:48

"The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo)" – 2:48

Recorded live August 31, 1969 at the Isle of Wight Festival

"Take Me as I Am (Or Let Me Go)" (Boudleaux Bryant) – 3:03

Side four

"Take a Message to Mary" (Felice Bryant, Boudleaux Bryant) – 2:46

"It Hurts Me Too" (Traditional) – 3:15

"Minstrel Boy" – 3:33

"She Belongs to Me" – 2:44

Tracks 21–22 recorded live August 31, 1969 at the Isle of Wight Festival

"Wigwam" – 3:09

"Alberta #2" (Traditional) – 3:12

I am constantly growing in my appreciation for this man's musical creations. It's interesting how as my life continues his music, which for the most part was created before my life began, seems to fit into it one way or another. What might not have moved my mind and soul 10 years ago seems to be the perfect fit for me today even though it was there the whole time! I've always said music knows no age and I'm thanking my lucky stars that my age doesn't keep me from enjoying, understanding or feeling that Bob Dylan's music is right for me at the right times. His life and his music continues to intrigue me!

On that note, I'm not interested in Looking through 50+ pages to find the answer to this BUT I'm sure I can be pointed in the right direction with just a few suggestions from some of the members of this board..... What biography would any of you suggest to someone? Some insight, I've read a couple books about the Band and I've always loved the history of Bob and the Band but I've never cared to sift through the multitudes of books about him....until now. I'd love to get you guys and gals opinions on this topic. Most importantly his early info, 60-80's. Obviously if this has been a hotly debated topic feel free to direct me to the thread.

On that note, I'm not interested in Looking through 50+ pages to find the answer to this BUT I'm sure I can be pointed in the right direction with just a few suggestions from some of the members of this board..... What biography would any of you suggest to someone? Some insight, I've read a couple books about the Band and I've always loved the history of Bob and the Band but I've never cared to sift through the multitudes of books about him....until now. I'd love to get you guys and gals opinions on this topic. Most importantly his early info, 60-80's. Obviously if this has been a hotly debated topic feel free to direct me to the thread.

straight from the horses mouth - Chronicles Vol 1 - Bob Dylan. really pleasant read. different chapters from early days till 1989!

It looks pretty cool that it includes material from New Morning, which came out the same  year.  I just wish they wouldn't give us so many choices.  I have an old Isle of Wight boot, but certainly would like a good copy of that.  At some point doesn't Bob have enough money for his kids and grandkids?

LouieB

I am constantly growing in my appreciation for this man's musical creations. It's interesting how as my life continues his music, which for the most part was created before my life began, seems to fit into it one way or another. What might not have moved my mind and soul 10 years ago seems to be the perfect fit for me today even though it was there the whole time! I've always said music knows no age and I'm thanking my lucky stars that my age doesn't keep me from enjoying, understanding or feeling that Bob Dylan's music is right for me at the right times. His life and his music continues to intrigue me!

Not a book, but if you haven't seen the Martin Scorsese documentary "No Direction Home" you have got to watch that. It was first aired on PBS, I think, but there's a DVD available. It's got some great archival footage, but the best part--to me--was the interview segments interspersed throughout the doc. Ol' Bob is usually not the most straightforward chronicler of his own life, but here he really seems to have been interested in shooting straight. Some of the things he says are extremely candid and self aware--like when he's talking about songwriting, even he seems mystified at how such a flood of great songs came to him in the early days. It's a wonderful movie.

For some reason, they are going backwards here. The Another Self Portrait set is on its way, but according to a "Dylan source," there are box sets of Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks in the pipeline.

I'll save my cash for those.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-revisits-self-portrait-on-next-edition-of-bootleg-series-20130716?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

And even says something nice about Joan.

Plus we get Joan's peerless Bob impression in a couple of scenes. 

I'd recommend Anthony Scaduto's Dylan book, Tweedling. If you can find it. I don't know how reputable it is, but it focuses on the early years, and Dylan himself said about it "I like your book, that's the weird thing." 

Froggie, I enjoy autobiographies but I've come to the conclusion if you want the good, the bad and the ugly you can't depend on "that" person to give it to you. However, I do want to know his point of view.

Thanks to everyone. Sir Stewart, you are the 2nd or 3rd person to recommend Scaduto's book. Looks good.

I always enjoyed Self Portrait - the next Bootleg Series is from these sessions.

Holy Moly.

I love Self Portrait and New Morning. I am so excited about this.

Froggie, I enjoy autobiographies but I've come to the conclusion if you want the good, the bad and the ugly you can't depend on "that" person to give it to you. However, I do want to know his point of view.

Thanks to everyone. Sir Stewart, you are the 2nd or 3rd person to recommend Scaduto's book. Looks good.

this is good as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Dylan-Behind-Shades-Revisited/dp/006052569X

some laughs in that one!