The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Never got to see a Highlands - nice.

Was fortunate to catch a lot shows from 97 to 02 - Still think that is my favorite live Dylan era.  Though if I seen him in 63-66 or 75-76 I may have a different view.

Talking about songs performed by Dylan - below is a "Bob Dylan Songs Play Live" link. (9 times for Highlands)

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/played-live

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bump. No thoughts on this?? I thought it had great insight into what makes Bob well....Bob.

I am often intrigued by bands/artists who have been around a long time and do a soundcheck. I've read that Paul McCartney does, and here we learn that Bob does not. I didn't figure he did. The way that guy describes him is about what we seem to hear/read. I suppose the thing to remember is that he wasn't always that way. And he did reach out and talk to them at the end.

McCartney's soundchecks can be, apparently, performances in themselves. I found a copy of one of the shows I went to in May, and included in the download was the soundcheck.

The setlist included Hi Ho Silver, Blue Suede Shoes, Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, Sun Is Shining, Every Night, Midnight Special and Bluebird...none of which were played during the show. I would love to have been there early to catch it!

McCartney's soundchecks can be, apparently, performances in themselves. I found a copy of one of the shows I went to in May, and included in the download was the soundcheck.

The setlist included Hi Ho Silver, Blue Suede Shoes, Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On, Sun Is Shining, Every Night, Midnight Special and Bluebird...none of which were played during the show. I would love to have been there early to catch it!

I think Rush still does. I believe Iron Maiden has their roadies do the soundcheck. In Tom Wright's book, he talks about The Eagles, and says whoever showed up first at soundcheck got to pick the songs they would play. I wonder if Dylan has ever done such a thing. I recall seeing a photo somewhere a few years ago that showed him and the band playing cards on the bus. I think it is sort of funny how he makes everyone dress up. That goes back to Bill Monroe, I would think.

I think Rush still does. I believe Iron Maiden has their roadies do the soundcheck. In Tom Wright's book, he talks about The Eagles, and says whoever showed up first at soundcheck got to pick the songs they would play. I wonder if Dylan has ever done such a thing. I recall seeing a photo somewhere a few years ago that showed him and the band playing cards on the bus. I think it is sort of funny how he makes everyone dress up. That goes back to Bill Monroe, I would think.

I find it charming and more than a little cool when the band I am seeing doesn't look like a group of homeless winos. I remember seeing Dr. Dog when they opened for Wilco and wondered if they smelled as bad as they looked.

I guess I am old fashioned, but put on a clean shirt and comb your fucking hair...but, Wilco doesn't tell me how to dress for my job.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty Saro

Bob Dylan ran through the 18th century English folk song "Pretty Saro" six consecutive times during the Self Portrait sessions in March 1970, but none of those versions made the final cut for the album and the song remained in Columbia's vault for the past 43 years. The track never even leaked onto bootlegs, but on August 27th, it's finally coming out on Another Self Portrait, a 35-track box set of songs cut for Nashville Skyline, Self Portrait and New Morning

From what I've heard of the material on ANOTHER SELF PORTRAIT, the record was ruined by Bob Johnson's overdubs and the poor choice of material included.

From the comments section beneath the video:

Some light digging on Dylan fan sites will produce the name of the second guitarist on this track, the influential David Bromberg, who also worked with Jerry Garcia and George Harrison.

Interesting, I was not aware of any Dylan/Bromberg collaborations before seeing this reference.

Interesting, I was not aware of any Dylan/Bromberg collaborations before seeing this reference.

I thinks he on most of New Morning and Self Portrait. 

Was lucking enough to see Bromberg sit in with Dylan and his Band at the Metro (Chicago Club) in 97 - at the time I had no idea who he was - it was at treat to be there, though.

Below are some reviews of the night from expectingrain: 

http://expectingrain.com/dok/set/97/12/971214a.html

Never realized that there was  Bromberg/Garcia-Dead relation before, though.

http://www.deaddisc.com/disc/Wanted_Dead_Or_Alive.htm

they've done about 12 songs in 1992... only 4 are circulating on bootlegs though

During the  80s and 90s Bromberg lived in Chicago and I saw him sit in with several bands.  He was here learning violin making and gained a ton of weight.  I saw him sit in with Danko and Helm, and some of the Eagles, etc. He sure had a lot of friends.

I like his early albums a lot, but as he once described them, they sold like hotcakes, a dime for a stack.

LouieB

I find it charming and more than a little cool when the band I am seeing doesn't look like a group of homeless winos. I remember seeing Dr. Dog when they opened for Wilco and wondered if they smelled as bad as they looked.

Holy shit that is so funny. Saw them in Dallas 3 or 4 years ago and I wondered the same thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Love them. Such beautiful, simple arrangements.

If those songs had been released in 1970...those versions...

The overdubs and selection of material were horrible (in the original SELF PORTRAIT)...