The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone get the deluxe 4 cd version of Another Self Portrait?  Its a bitter pill to swallow at $100 but I am considering it...  

It was too steep for me, too - just got the 2 disk version - it is excellent. Read great things about the deluxe, though.

Version of HWY 61 and I'll be Your Baby Tonight from the Ilse of Wight are on the 2 disc version --- they sound better then the Wight tunes that were on original Self Portrait CD and much, much better then the boot that I have. I am hoping that they release the whole Wight show separately at some point.

It was too steep for me, too - just got the 2 disk version - it is excellent. Read great things about the deluxe, though.

Version of HWY 61 and I'll be Your Baby Tonight from the Ilse of Wight are on the 2 disc version --- they sound better then the Wight tunes that were on original Self Portrait CD and much, much better then the boot that I have. I am hoping that they release the whole Wight show separately at some point.

too steep for me too, and yet, the rationalizing has begun...

too steep for me too, and yet, the rationalizing has begun...

I had it in my hands at a Best Buy ---- very sturdy, very tempting --- but at the end, placed it back.

Got the funds, go for it - I always say - I am sure you won't be disappointed.

There's a lot of talk on the interwebs about what a douchey move this is by Columbia/Dylan.  Similar to what they did with Tell Tale Signs for the bonus CD.  Of course, that bonus CD was priceless.  I am trying not to focus on the merits/morality of this decision and what input (if any) Dylan had.  It wont solve my dilemma.  :)

I think you can download all the Isle of Wight tracks from Amazon for $1.29 each.

I bought the Deluxe Set for $83 at popmarket.com(It was Tuesday's Daily Deal). I couldn't resist. I wanted that Complete Isle Of Wright show.

I don't know if this has been posted here or not, but you all might have seen this.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bob-dylan-complete-album-collection.326813/

Well, I know what I want for Christmas!

I still have never heard Self Portrait, but I decided to order the 2 disc ASP through Deep Discount.

Every time I see the cover, I think of the episode of Pawn Stars where Chumley gets a copy signed by Bob.

There really needs to be a Past Masters/Beatles type compilation for Bob, so I hope it will be released separately if the above news turns out to be true. I have no idea how much officially released non-album stuff there is, but he's been around so long, maybe it would have to have several volumes.

I have all of his 60's albums, and the more generally well liked albums of the 70's. I guess the most famous, or one that I've heard about the most, and don't own is The Basement Tapes.

I bought the Deluxe Set for $83 at popmarket.com(It was Tuesday's Daily Deal). I couldn't resist. I wanted that Complete Isle Of Wright show.

It's the book that comes with the deluxe set that has got me intrigued. Is there much to it?

I still have never heard Self Portrait, but I decided to order the 2 disc ASP through Deep Discount.

Every time I see the cover, I think of the episode of Pawn Stars where Chumley gets a copy signed by Bob.

There really needs to be a Past Masters/Beatles type compilation for Bob, so I hope it will be released separately if the above news turns out to be true. I have no idea how much officially released non-album stuff there is, but he's been around so long, maybe it would have to have several volumes.

I have all of his 60's albums, and the more generally well liked albums of the 70's. I guess the most famous, or one that I've heard about the most, and don't own is The Basement Tapes.

I read somewhere there is going to be a big boxset type of release of The Basement Tapes at some point. Of course, you can find the unreleased stuff out there to grab.

I have to remind myself to check Hasting's for CD prices when ordering online.

For some reason they are selling the 2 CD Another Self Portrait for $9.99!

That is a common first week sale price for 1 CD releases.

The cheapest online retailer I found last week had it at $15.99, Deep Discount. Even more at Amazon and Best Buy.

It is not uncommon for chains to be within a few dollars, but I have never seen that much for a new normal release.

I just happened to go in Hasting's to kill time, so I could have bought it and had it in hand, while I'm still waiting on the slower Free shipping that I ordered last week to get to me.

I read somewhere there is going to be a big boxset type of release of The Basement Tapes at some point. Of course, you can find the unreleased stuff out there to grab.

You gotta figure that even after all these years the full and complete (whatever that means) Basement Tapes will get this box set treatment.  Bob is getting up there and Columbia will mine every last note he ever did either now or after he passes.  They are doing the same thing with Miles Davis.  There are only so many copies of Highway 61 Revisited or even Kind of Blue they can sell every year. Even with new music fans coming up, that only pays a small percentage of the bills.  The bits and pieces of the basement tapes are still a hot commodity. 

LouieB

You gotta figure that even after all these years the full and complete (whatever that means) Basement Tapes will get this box set treatment.  Bob is getting up there and Columbia will mine every last note he ever did either now or after he passes.  They are doing the same thing with Miles Davis.  There are only so many copies of Highway 61 Revisited or even Kind of Blue they can sell every year. Even with new music fans coming up, that only pays a small percentage of the bills.  The bits and pieces of the basement tapes are still a hot commodity. 

LouieB

I have a lot of the BT material (6 CDs) and its great stuff. Someone wrote a book about all the BT tracks called "Million Dollar Bash"....its required reading for BT freaks.

I've listened to about half of the 2-disc Another Self-Portrait so far, and it's okay. Some of it is better than what was originally released, some is not really memorable.

I have always been a big fan of Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home through Blonde on Blonde period, not a big fan of the John Wesley Harding through New Morning period. This won't change that, but at least it's listenable. Some of the stuff he did on the originals - the cheesy covers, running amok with strings - is absent here, and that's all to the good. I wouldn't call it "fulfilling" or whatever David Fricke said in his review, but it's decent if you want a change of pace from what I consider the classic Dylan.

Now, where's that Blonde on Blonde Sessions box, with "Jet Pilot," "Freeze-Out," "Medicine Sunday" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover?"

Now, where's that Blonde on Blonde Sessions box, with "Jet Pilot," "Freeze-Out," "Medicine Sunday" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover?"

Good fucking question.

Invisible Republic is a good book (and a better name than Weird Old America.). I have the 5 disk bootleg of the Basement Tapes.  Again, someday Columbia will find/clean-up all the existing material, issue it for real and get us all to buy it.  They can fuck around with Self-Portrait all  they want. I like New Morning, but Self Portrait was something of a joke back in the day. It is only being taken seriously now because we take it all seriously. 

LouieB

LouieB

It's a shame this stuff costs so much. I would like to have the other disc of this current Self Portrait box, but there is no way I am paying 100 bucks for music releases anymore.  I would rather like to have Bob's take on Wild Mountain Thyme.  It is streaming online, at least. (You can't beat Sandy Denny's version of that song though.)

It's a shame this stuff costs so much. I would like to have the other disc of this current Self Portrait box, but there is no way I am paying 100 bucks for music releases anymore.  I would rather like to have Bob's take on Wild Mountain Thyme.  It is streaming online, at least. (You can't beat Sandy Denny's version of that song though.)

You can download the Isle of Wight show from iTunes for $1.29 a song.

Really enjoying the new release -- most of it will never be top-shelf material, but there's some very nice stuff here.

You can never have too many photos of Dylan walking around with a drum under his arm. I've always liked those photos.

Me too. They look candid in their blurriness but were probably quite staged. I imagine Bob at the last minute of the photo shoot discussions:

"Hey man, what if I was carrying a drum, too?"

I love these videos - they kinda crack me up, that people take the time to do it..

Not a big fan when they put disks in the actual book  and not in slip cases - nice looking set, though. Definitely would love to have it. (I love looking at tape boxes, too.)