The Official Bob Dylan Thread

I love these videos - they kinda crack me up, that people take the time to do it.

I saw one recently on a new release from Dead.net, and the person in the video used disposable latex gloves, like what a surgeon or dentist would use. Someone commented in the thread that it was a rather "antiseptic" presentation, which made me laugh out loud.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recall reading somewhere that the Dylan (1973) album is going to be included in the collection. I hope they put it out separate at some point.

The Bob Dylan Complete Album Collection Vol. One also brings together for the first time, on the "Side Tracks" compilation, a wealth of previously released non-album singles, tracks from Biograph and other compilations, songs from films and more.

The USB contains 35 studio titles, 6 live albums, the "Side Tracks" compilation and a digital booklet featuring extensive new album-by-album liner notes penned by Clinton Heylin and a new introduction written by Bill Flanagan.

All 41 official albums, including 14 newly remastered titles
Side Tracks a compilation of previously released songs not included on the original albums
Limited, numbered edition
User Interface menus and functions to import MP3 s
All songs in high quality FLAC format (24bit 44.1kbps) and MP3 format (320kbps)
All Original Artwork
Digital booklet with extensive liner notes and rare photos

Me too. They look candid in their blurriness but were probably quite staged. I imagine Bob at the last minute of the photo shoot discussions:

"Hey man, what if I was carrying a drum, too?"

When I see those photographs, I think of his Hendrix quote. Something about walking around NYC and seeing Jimi ride past in a limo - it's in the Biograph or Bootleg Volume 1-3 liner notes (I think).

I recall reading somewhere that the Dylan (1973) album is going to be included in the collection.

It is. From Dylan's website:

This CD boxed set contains 35 studio titles (including first-ever North American release of 1973's Dylan album on CD), 6 live albums, 2-CD "Side Tracks," and hardcover book featuring new album-by-album liner notes by Clinton Heylin and new introduction by Bill Flanagan.

"Side Tracks" brings together for the first time two discs worth of previously released non-album singles, tracks from Biograph and other compilations, songs from films and more.

The Complete Album Collection Vol. One will also be available as a limited-edition harmonica-shaped USB stick containing all the music, in both MP3 and FLAC lossless formats, with a digital version of the hardcover booklet, housed in a deluxe numbered box.

The Bob Dylan Complete Album Collection Vol. One will be available on Tuesday, November 5, 2013.

When I see those photographs, I think of his Hendrix quote. Something about walking around NYC and seeing Jimi ride past in a limo - it's in the Biograph or Bootleg Volume 1-3 liner notes (I think).

"First time I saw him, he was playing with John Hammond. He was incredible then. I'd already been to England and beyond, and although he didn't sing, I kinda had a feeling that he figured into things. The last time I saw him was a couple of months before he died. He was in that band with Buddy Miles. It was an eerie scene. He was slouched down in the back of a limousine. I was riding by on a bicycle. I remember saying something about that song "Wind Cried Mary," it was a long way from playing behind John Hammond. That was my favorite song of his - that and "Dolly Dagger"... I don't know, it was strange, both of us were a little lost for words, he'd gone through like a fireball without knowing it, I'd done the same thing like being shot out of a cannon..."

From Billboard:

The Band's storied past has been mined on two significant late-summer projects, and Robbie Robertson thinks more might be coming in the near future.

Robertson himself helmed the just-released box set "Live at the Academy of Music 1971," a four-CD and one-DVD collection from The Band's legendary Dec. 28-31 stand in New York that became the 1972 live album "Rock of Ages." Meanwhile, "Another Self Portrait," the latest edition of Bob Dylan's official Bootleg Series, features two songs from his 1969 Isle of Wight festival appearance with The Band. Now there are rumbles that Dylan's team plans to dip into the equally notable Basement Tapes sessions from 1967 for a future release -- and Robertson tells Billboard he hopes there's some truth in that.

"I've been hearing this for awhile and there is some talk of it, and we'll just see," he says. "I don't know if there's really anything much to do except try to get the best-quality version of 'The Basement Tapes' and put 'em up. I don't really know that I can be that helpful in doing it but whatever that is, I like the idea of sharing that with the world, finally, after all these years. There was such a freedom in what we were doing; we thought, 'Nobody's ever going to hear these.' It was great music, so it would be nice to let people hear it."

Robertson, meanwhile, is ebullient over the "Academy of Music" set, which he feels captures The Band "in a very particular place" -- a good one, of course -- and also gave him the chance to remix tapes that he was never completely happy with in the "Rock of Ages" configuration. 

"Everybody was happy but me," Robertson recalls. "It came out to glowing reviews. It was like one of the great live albums of all time because the performances came through and you would hear that. It was very well-received. But I knew deep down that this could've been, it should've been, much better." 

He tried mixing "Rock of Ages" twice, in fact -- once with Phil Ramone and then on his own at an unfinished Bearsville Studios in Woodstock. 

"I don't know what happened, but we missed it," Robertson says now. "I did the best I could do under the circumstances at the time, so I just had to live with it. Then a few months ago the record company gets in touch with me... and says, 'We have found all the original tapes, almost all the original tapes, from the Academy of Music. Would you like to put together a set of these?' and I was like, 'Oh, mama! This is music to my ears.' So I explained to them that I never was completely satisfied with this and I would find it an honor to come back and make it what it should have been all along." 

Besides the box, which features 19 unreleased tracks and Dylan's complete appearance at the New Year's Eve show, Robertson has also been immersed in a book project. He's one of four authors of "Legends, Icons & Rebels: Music That Changed the World," which is designed to introduce young readers to music legends such as Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Buddy Holly, the Rolling Stones and more. 

"Right now there's a lot of disposable music and that's fine," Robertson explains, "but for young people to have a foundation to know what's really good and where it came from is meaningful for the rest of their lives. Once you establish a foundation of knowing what the greatest recording artists of all time were... Wouldn't you want your kids to know this stuff? And for a kid to say, 'What are you talking about? When I was nine years old I knew who Johnny Cash was. I knew who Billie Holiday was... And it's because of this book that we've tried to do in such a special way and really with the idea of sharing it and the gift to young people that it became that important to us. And we spent years working on this, trying to get it to this place."

The book comes with two CDs featuring music from the artists, and Robertson says there's more where it came from. 

"We are hoping that this is just Volume One, because there are so many more people on the list," he says. "But we couldn't turn this into a phone book and have so much (content) that you just get immune to it. It would be great to do another one."

• 1 month later...

This is exciting:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/6468

BOB DYLAN Side Tracks 3LP set (180g, each numbered and limited. From the forthcoming "Complete Album Collection 47 disc boxset). Tracklisting:

Disc 1

1. A1 Baby, I'm in the Mood for You

2. A2 Mixed - Up Confusion (Single Version)

3. A3 Tomorrow Is a Long Time

4. A4 Lay Down Your Weary Tune

5. A5 Percy's Song

6. B1 I'll Keep It with Mine

7. B2 Can You Please Crawl out Your Window? (Single Version)

8. B3 Positively 4th Street

9. B4 Jet Pilot

10. B5 I Wanna Be Your Lover

11. B6 I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (Live)

Disc 2

1. A1 Visions of Johanna (Live)

2. A2 Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)

3. A3 Watching the River Flow

4. A4 When I Paint My Masterpiece

5. A5 Down in the Flood (Live)

6. A6 I Shall Be Released

7. B1 You Ain't Goin' Nowhere

8. B2 George Jackson (Acoustic Version)

9. B3 Forever Young

10. B4 You're a Big Girl Now

11. B5 Up to Me

Disc 3

1. A1 Abandoned Love

2. A2 Isis (Live)

3. A3 Romance in Durango (Live)

4. A4 Caribbean Wind

5. B1 Heart of Mine (Live)

6. B2 Series of Dreams

7. B3 Dignity (Alternate Version)

8. B4 Things Have Changed 

http://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77661

Watched this a few times earlier today. Not sure what version is my favorite, but the floating cartoon cat singing Dylan has to be up there.

My suspicion is that Dylan had little or no involvement with this. He may still be unaware of its existence.

Why would he even care? If it gets Like A Rolling Stone back on the charts, its all good.

This was featured on the evening news last night.

LouieB

Yep. If I seemed snarky or something, I wasn't trying to be.

Snarky is okay in this instance. Bob's people (Columbia/Sony etc.) are re-selling a single that was on the charts 48 years ago. Good work on their part.

LouieB

Here's an old article from Uncut about Blood On The Tracks and a few years prior and subsequent.  Good stuff!

http://www.uncut.co.uk/bob-dylan/shelter-from-the-storm-the-inside-story-of-bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks-feature?utm_campaign=Uncut_newsletter_131119&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

That guy is on it, singling out killer tracks like the Hard Rain live version of Idiot Wind and Where Are You Tonight from Street Legal and noting how great the live album Before The Flood is.  I also never agreed with the folks who think the unreleased New York sessions for Blood On The Tracks songs were better than what was released.  The Minnesota sessions are way more intense, IMO, and its validating to hear one of the session musician's say why: they were trying to get a Highway 61 Revisted sound.

Damn, that is some tough stuff. Good read.

Any of you Dylanologists have the Doug Sahm & Band album that features Dylan? I just downloaded it and put it on the iPod, never heard it before...though I was already familiar with Wallflower from the Bootleg Series and Is Anybody Going to San Antone? from Coffee Creek covering it. I feel like I'm about 40 years late to the party on this deal.