The Official Bob Dylan Thread

Damn, that is some tough stuff. Good read.

Any of you Dylanologists have the Doug Sahm & Band album that features Dylan? I just downloaded it and put it on the iPod, never heard it before...though I was already familiar with Wallflower from the Bootleg Series and Is Anybody Going to San Antone? from Coffee Creek covering it. I feel like I'm about 40 years late to the party on this deal.

I have it. It's a good one. I think it is funny that on the cover Dylan is sort of hiding behind the rest of the band. Vinyl copies are not that hard to find.

LouieB

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I figured you'd have it. :lol

I guess Sahm has gotten kind of a resurgence since his death in 1999. I know that there were some fairly well-known folks covering him on a tribute album, like Los Lobos, Delbert McClinton, etc. I think I first became aware of him through those Coffee Creek recordings from Cicero's. If I remember correctly, they covered She's About a Mover, Mendocino, and Is Anybody Going to San Antone, maybe some others too.

I guess Sahm has gotten kind of a resurgence since his death in 1999. I know that there were some fairly well-known folks covering him on a tribute album, like Los Lobos, Delbert McClinton, etc. I think I first became aware of him through those Coffee Creek recordings from Cicero's. If I remember correctly, they covered She's About a Mover, Mendocino, and Is Anybody Going to San Antone, maybe some others too.

There are some great videos of him with the Sir Douglas Quintet on Youtube. If it is still up, there is also a cool Austin City Limits episode from 1975.

Hey no biggie, we both agree. As long as the dough keeps rollin in, they can make whatever vid they want.

LouieB

A little cynical.

The execution of this thing is genius. The song is a touchstone of our modern culture and the video adds a surreal bent that is, well, just perfect.

It is part of our popular vision of the artist as aueteur that, at one time, was true of Dylan.

Sahm's son is the current drummer for the Meat Puppets and does a darn fine job at it too.

A little cynical.

The execution of this thing is genius. The song is a touchstone of our modern culture and the video adds a surreal bent that is, well, just perfect.

It is part of our popular vision of the artist as aueteur that, at one time, was true of Dylan.

Cynical on who's part? Mine or the record company's. The video of a version of LARS I always liked was the Stones version.

LouieB

Cynical on who's part? Mine or the record company's. The video of a version of LARS I always liked was the Stones version.

LouieB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziRR5h3b4YU

Are you talking about the above - I always thought it was pretty cool, too.

The first time I watched the Stones play LARS at a concert was a blast.

On another note, I finally listened to Disc 3 of the Tell Tale Signs - it is very good - still not worth the extra $80 or so, though.

Bonus disc
  1. "Duncan & Brady" – 3:47 (traditional) (Unreleased, 1992)
  2. "Cold Irons Bound" – 5:57 (Live at Bonnaroo, 2004)
  3. "Mississippi" – 6:24 (Alternate version #3, Time Out of Mind)
  4. "Most of the Time" – 5:10 (Alternate version #2, Oh Mercy)
  5. "Ring Them Bells" – 3:18 (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)
  6. "Things Have Changed" – 5:32 (Live, June 15, 2000, Portland, OR)
  7. "Red River Shore" – 7:08 (Unreleased version #2, Time Out of Mind)
  8. "Born in Time" – 4:19 (Unreleased version #2, Oh Mercy)
  9. "Tryin' to Get to Heaven" – 5:10 (Live, October 5, 2000, London, England)
  10. "Marchin' to the City" – 3:39 (Unreleased version #2, Time Out of Mind)
  11. "Can't Wait" – 7:24 (Alternate version #2, Time Out of Mind)
  12. "Mary and the Soldier" – 4:23 (traditional) (Unreleased, World Gone Wrong)

Any word on whether Side Tracks will get a stand alone CD release?

Interesting story about the guitar he just left on a plane became the most expensive guitar at auction ever recently.

Why wouldn't they make the family return it to him after it was authenticated?

A few years ago around here a man returned a guitar to George Jones 46 years after it was stolen only for the $10 he originally paid for it.

http://m.kltv.com/#!/newsDetail/8499443

• 3 weeks later...

Weighing in on Bootleg series 10. I finally got around to picking up the two CD version. Glad I did, but not going to pop or the 3 LP set for the extra money, nor the deluxe version, although I would like the entire Isle of Wight (got some of that on an old LP "real" bootleg.)

There is some good stuff on here, just enough good stuff to make it worthwhile. I particularly like the New Morning outtakes and alternate versions. They are worth the cost of the CDs alone. And since I always liked Eric Anderson, I enjoy Dylan's version of Thirsty Boots. After a few spins on the car CD player this one may gather dust on the shelf, but most of it is pretty enjoyable and some totally forgettable.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Finally picked up The Basement Tapes.

It would be fun to make a single album from just the Dylan fronted tunes.

Interesting to hear Bob use voices from different eras/albums over the different tracks.

It got me to thinking - the slurred voice that will have trouble singing in time, think "Million Dollar Bash," and is what he uses pretty much

on all of Blonde on Blonde and kept me at arm's length on that one for a while.

I wonder if that is the influence of drink or drug while recording.

I was listening to Mixing Up The Medicine (don't know how I got it) yesterday, and did some searching on it just now. It was released in 2009 under the claim it was a 4-track recording of Garth's, but the internet seems to say it's not a good mix. Any thoughts here? 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally.......one worth the wait.

LouieB

I received the Bootleg Series Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait in the mail yesterday from a friend who highly recommended it to me. Had a new one sent to me and all. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but I've always liked the album and it also has a bunch of outtakes/alternate takes from the New Morning album sessions, which is one of my favorite Dylan albums. Supposedly some "infectious" tunes on this one, according to my boy.