The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received the Bootleg Series Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait in the mail yesterday from a friend who highly recommended it to me. Had a new one sent to me and all. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but I've always liked the album and it also has a bunch of outtakes/alternate takes from the New Morning album sessions, which is one of my favorite Dylan albums. Supposedly some "infectious" tunes on this one, according to my boy.

I got this a few weeks back myself. Some of it is interesting and some of it is less interesting. The New Morning alternate versions are the best part of the album. The outtakes and alternates from BOTT are some of the best Dylan ever so it ranks slightly higher with me as something I would like and something I think needs to be out there.

LouieB

The rolling thunder thing is a film project. Wasn't rolling thunder already the subject of bootleg series #5?

Btw I was pleasantly surprised by bootleg #8 which covered his later period career.

A good film of this period would be very cool, considering there are two mediocre ones out - Renaldo and Clara and Hard Rain, which I guess is slightly different.

LouieB

I think he truly enjoys subverting people's expectations, e.g., his reportedly horrible Christmas album. Bob Dylan as this year's Clint Eastwood: what could be more subversive than that? Of all the Super Bowl commercials that ran last night, this was the only one I looked up today to watch in its entirety so I could hear the audio I missed during last night's party. I thought it was great, but hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure, right?

I think he truly enjoys subverting people's expectations, e.g., his reportedly horrible Christmas album. Bob Dylan as this year's Clint Eastwood: what could be more subversive than that? Of all the Super Bowl commercials that ran last night, this was the only one I looked up today to watch in its entirety so I could hear the audio I missed during last night's party. I thought it was great, but hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure, right?

I think you're probably right. Remember the Victoria Secret commercial he did?

All the old guys from the 60s are hitting the bottle, or more likely the wig stores.

LouieB

i was referring to black hair dye... i got the shock of my life when i saw jimmy page and brian may go from jet black to silver in a month's time!. bob's on our from late march, so we'll see the colour then

i was referring to black hair dye... i got the shock of my life when i saw jimmy page and brian may go from jet black to silver in a month's time!. bob's on our from late march, so we'll see the colour then

I know which bottle. But guys like McCartney and Mick Jagger are sporting full brown heads of hair. I don't buy that at all. These are 70 year old guys. I have some hair on top, but it is thin with plenty of male pattern baldness. Few men get to 70 with the same hair they had at 25.

LouieB

A friend of mine saw Jeff Beck recently and had seats right up front.  He said that under the heat of the lights and as Beck started to sweat you could see the black hair dye dripping down.  To LouieB's point, the dude is almost 70 and the jet black hair looks silly. 

Shame or not, it is really about image. Rock stars (particularly of the 60s and 70s and now in their 60s and 70s) needed the hair as part of the act. Why can't Jeff Beck afford permanent hair dye though? That's just plain weird.

LouieB