The Official Bob Dylan Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

he hasnt done a "Duets' album yet. he's winding down on writing and just touring now. but he's sounding better now than 5 years ago. it could cause he's on the piano every now and then, or center stage with the harp

I loved that radio theme time hour of his. I listen to a recording of his xmas show every year. He spun some great tunes.

I think Bob Dylan should get his own talk show.

Guests could come on and Dylan could refuse to interact with them, or just leave the set altogether.

This was supposed to happen back in 1999 or 2000. He had some deal with HBO for a late night show. 

This was supposed to happen back in 1999 or 2000. He had some deal with HBO for a late night show. 

yep... but it never happened. theme time seems to have taken over. and i'm still waiting for Chronicles Vol 2, which was also promised

Chronicles is great and yes, let's have another, Bob! I loaded the audiobook of Chronicles on my iPod (Sean Penn reading) and during my walk to work the past few weeks on shuffle I've heard a bunch of it and it's always a welcome addition to the mix of music. Funny when it goes from a story about Suze introducing Dylan to Rimbaud's works into Public Enemy's My Uzi Weighs A Ton.

australian and NZ tour also announced tommorow (its been hush hush for a few days) in august and september, playing smaller theatres and the opera house in sydney. the palais in melbourne (he played 6 shows there in 1992). wilco did 2 shows there in 2007

• 1 month later...

The comments section is more entertaining than the article.

Good news: we found long lost Dylan acetates! Really crappy news: they're rejects that weren't even "good" enough for three of his lamest albums.

Assuming Columbia still own the rights to these specific recordings, this could be a goldmine for them...well, as much of a goldmine as can exist in today's non-purchase music climate that is.

:lol

This is interesting.  Some material not in possession of Columbia has been released on other smaller labels. Perhaps some sort of arrangement will be made to release this material (which may not be that interesting to casual fans) will see the light of day.

LouieB

I doubt this dude will be selling that for very long.  I see - he is selling the actual record, not the music. 

Billboard article: 

Most people discover a rogue sock or a handful of wire hangers when emptying a closet during a move. One music historian ended up with much, much more this spring, when two boxes jammed with rare Bob Dylan acetates turned up in a New York City apartment building once used by the rock 'n' roll legend.

Jeff Gold, proprietor of Recordmecca and a longtime collector/dealer/historian,took to his website to detail this once-in-a-lifetime find, two boxes containing 149 acetates from Dylan's "Nashville Skyline," "Self Portrait" and "New Morning" albums, all produced by Bob Johnston between 1969-1970 for Columbia Records.

Gold purchased the trove of unreleased mixes, recordings and sequences (some with Dylan-written notes on them) from the executor of the estate of the late owner of a NYC building being prepared for sale. While doing a final scan of the building, the man found boxes labeled "Old Records" in a closet in a semi-hidden loft above the bedroom.

A source close to Dylan's camp told Billboard that, "While it's unknown how those actetates came to be in the hands of others, everything that is on them definitely also exists in original form on reel-to-reel tape and is securely held in the vaults. Most of that material in fact, was released on 'Another Self-Portrait' last year."

Gold, a Dylan "fanatic" and former executive at Warner Bros. Records, was contacted and soon made the trip to NYC.The executor was aware that Dylan had rented out the ground floor of the building (at 124 W. Houston St. in Greenwich Village) and figured that the artist had left the boxes there when he vacated the space, according to Gold's blog post. Whatever the reason that they were still there, the boxes sat undiscovered for more than 40 years.

"When I opened the boxes and took a quick look at the contents, I was blown away," he writes. "They were indeed all by Dylan, all were in excellent condition."

What are acetates you ask? Gold explains: "Acetates are individually cut on a lathe in real time, in a process that is basically the reverse of playing a record.  A blank aluminum disc coated in lacquer is put on a turntable, and the master tape of a recording is played, the signal of which is sent to a heated needle which cuts a groove into into the revolving disc. Acetates are made so an artist or producer can listen to a recording that is a work-in-progress; they can be played on a regular turntable, but after 20 or 30 plays the sound quality begins to deteriorate."

After purchasing the boxes, Gold had the recordings preserved digitally and discovered that many were unreleased versions of songs, with alternate mixes and edits. Standouts include electric versions of Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Ring of Fire."

During this time period, Dylan was living in NYC while Johnston -- his producer -- lived and worked out of Nashville. The two used the easy-to-make-and-send acetates to update each other on the progress of the albums. "Nashville Skyline," released in 1969 when Dylan was immersing himself in country music, is considered a classic. "Self Portrait," a derided covers album, and the well-regarded "New Morning" both appeared in 1970.

Gold says he has provided transfers of all the discovered music to Dylan's representatives. He has also made a few of the acetates, including an alternate version of "Skyline," available for sale on recordmecca.com.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally decided to bite on Self Portrait when I saw it for $3.99 at Hasting's. It rung up for $2.99.

I can't believe people call this one of the worst albums of all time. It is kinda weird how it shuffles around with his various

vocals of the period, but it basically sounds like a mix of Skyline/Harding/Morning/Pat G soundtrack.

The first song that is weird for me is the Sadie where he keeps modulating keys. That is just strange.

He has the super annoying vocals (to me) going on the live Quinn.

I've never heard the original artist's version of Days of 49, but Dylan's is great.

The Boxer cover could've been really good. I take it is himself doubling his vocals and harmonizing. I'm not aware of him

doing that in any other case. It sounds like he did about a 1 take through for the doubling, because he frequently doesn't match up.

If he had taken his time and really synced it up, it would have been very good.

I knew Wigwam from the Royal T soundtrack. I love that arrangement.

Self Portrait is hardly one of the worst albums of all time, but it was the worst album of Dylan's career up to that point (he bested himself on other outings.)  The outtakes recently released with the New Morning outtakes is interesting as has been discussed here.

LouieB

After my last post I came across a recent Steve Hoffman board track by track discussion on Self Portrait that was a good read imo.

In all that reading I still don't think I ever found out why All the Tired Horses only features a group of women singers and one repeated phrase. I guess I will have to read through my Another SP booklet.

Most Dylan albums have thorough track by track entries on Wikipedia, but I guess no one cares enough about Self Portrait to do that there.

If I have Biograph, all 60's/most 70's studio albums, Witmark and ASP, is Bootleg 1-3 still worth getting?

If I have Biograph, all 60's/most 70's studio albums, Witmark and ASP, is Bootleg 1-3 still worth getting?

I would say yes. Bootleg 1-3 is probably my favorite Dylan release. It's a must have.

I would say yes. Bootleg 1-3 is probably my favorite Dylan release. It's a must have.

of course. lots of unheard tracks on it. plus get Infidels, Oh mercy, and Under the red sky... but thats a matter of opinion!