The Official Bob Dylan Thread

I still think it was him. LOL

I am convinced it wasn't. Given what we have seen in the past of Robbie's ego, do you think he wouldn't have trumpeted that from every stage he's been on since 1966?

You think he wouldn't have dropped the hint to Wenner, Marcus, Landau and Marsh at some point in time?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if Garth will get any money from this? 

I hope so, so he can pay his back rent to Mike Piazza.

I am getting obsessed with the thought of the official release of this material. There is probably no other material in the Dylan archive that is of this much interest left.  I think there are things which would be good to hear that have not been released, but this is the holy grail of non-released material.  After all these sessions are the reason bootlegging became a big business in the first place. 

There may still be a few concerts which could be reasonably packaged as interesting and maybe a few outtakes from the big three album sessions, but everything else is an anticlimax after this.  Clinton Heylin is going to be so pissed, but Greil Marcus is going to be so pleased.

LouieB

I finally bought The Basement Tapes earlier this year, so it's fitting.

Wow, so $20 per CD and lets say the book is $30. Seems too much, but the little cover picture doesn't show any detail.

Very boring cover in contrast to the 1975 album cover.

Weird how they don't capitalize the 'do' in "All You Have to do is Dream".

I would think it was a cover of The Everly Bros, but it must have been bootlegged since there seem to be lyrics online and it is an original song.

• 1 month later...

Which original cover are you talking about?  The LP/CD version of them with the carnival and circus folks on the cover?  Or a bootleg or what?

LouieB

The one with the group of people/characters in a basement.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that the vinyl set is 3 LPs and does not include all the tracks from the "Complete" version being released on 6 cds.  Does anyone know if the vinyl set will have download codes for the songs on the 3 LPs?  Any chance there is a download code for the 6 cd version in the LP set?  In other words, what is the best way to get the vinyl and all the songs on the 6 cd version?  This is making my head hurt.

I have the 2cd on reserved at the library --- I will give it a listen before I spring for the set.

Will be seeing him again this Monday. Looking forward to that - playing a somewhat small theater that I have not been to before (Cadillac Theater in Chicago).

I have the 2cd on reserved at the library --- I will give it a listen before I spring for the set.

Will be seeing him again this Monday. Looking forward to that - playing a somewhat small theater that I have not been to before (Cadillac Theater in Chicago).

you might be pleasantly surprised with the current shows!

Monday was one of the better Dylan shows that I have seen in a while  --- his performance/vocal on Stay with Me was pretty poignant. Stage was dark and shadowy as hell -- but it suited the music great.

Stay With Me (Main Theme from the Cardinal) (Dir. by Otto Preminger 1963)
Composed by Jerome Moross with lyrics by Carolyn Leigh

Should my heart not be humble, should my eyes fail to see,
Should my feet sometimes stumble on the way, stay with me.

Like the lamb that in springtime wanders far from the fold,
Comes the darkness and the frost, I get lost, I grow cold.

I grow cold, I grow weary, and I know I have sinned,
And I go seeking shelter and I cry in the wind.

And though I grope and I blunder and I kneel and I'm wrong,
Though the road buckles under where I walk, walk along

'Til I find to my wonder every task least to see,
Or that I can do it, pray, stay with me.

---
Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.

I saw his setlist from either Saturday or Sunday's show. I'm a fairly knowledgeable Dylan fan and I didn't know three quarters of the tunes on that list.

He has been playing more recent material (or least the 90's and beyond stuff ).

I enjoy the Christmas record --- it's a novelty for sure, but during the holidays it's a fun listen. The 'It Must Be Santa' video still cracks me up every time I watch it. 

Well that's sad.  Looks like Dylan is falling under the category of someone who is totally out of ideas and falling back on standards, unless that is a joke.  What Sinatra always had going for him, until the end, was his ability to put across a song.  I am not sure what Dylan is doing in this regards. The Christmas album is funny but really not good in any convincing sense.

LouieB

Dylan definitely sang Stay with Me with much conviction - and I must say emotion - it was a really cool performance. Hopefully, he will be able to convey that on the upcoming record. Can't say I am really excited about the upcoming release, though.