The Official Bob Dylan Thread

The Sinatra album story made the NBC evening news last night.  This is both not news and barely interesting.  I guess on some level it is cool he wants to do an album that is done in the old style, no overdubs etc.  Maybe it will get the Lady Ga Ga / Tony Bennett crowd.

LouieB

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob's next next album, featuring even older songs:

The Big, Big Sleep (a.k.a. Songs Nobody Wants to Hear, Least of All By Dylan)

1. Clementine

2. Star Spangled Banner

3. Hellhound on My Trail

4. Camptown Races

5. Old Folks At Home

6. Oh Shenandoah

7. Jelly Roll Blues

8. When Johnny Comes Marching Home

9. Goodnight Irene

i'd enjoy that one!. and he's already recorded Shenandoah back in 1988 :)

• 1 month later...

Help, please. I'm looking for a performance of Dylan's from a tribute concert. All I recall is it's him playing acoustic and singing, it's about a two minute-long performance, and the man being honored, and who wrote the song, is an American songbook/Broadway musical type, like Richard Rodgers or Cole Porter, but not them (apparently). The song is a lesser-known nugget from a musical, called something like Sway or -- shit, I don't know. I am pretty sure a YouTube link is somewhere in this thread but I can't locate it....

Yeah it's a good one - that "Soon"  reminded me of the last time I saw Dylan (this past Oct or Nov in Chicago) where he ended his show with "Stay with Me" (the standard)  -  That night, I have not seen a more emotional performance by him in long, long time, than during his take on "Stay With Me" - it was really something.

I listened to the song on the Rolling Stone site and it wasn't bad, which is just a polite way of saying it wasn't all that great. 

I haven't even listened to my new copy of the Basement Tapes yet and this thing is coming down pretty soon. 

LouieB

I finally did get the 2 CD Set of the Basement Tapes from the my library and listened to it --- it is definitely good and I probably will get the complete set at some point. As per usual with his Bootleg Series , the liner notes that come with the 2 CD are great. It was nice to hear a trombone on one of the tunes...

Bring over a computer and you can have all six disks.  This is the most bootlegged material in the world; giving it away one more time won't hurt.

LouieB

You are right, if any set warrants it - it is this one -  though I have had issues ripping Sony stuff with the software I use (EAC). Haven't tried to rip the 2 cd set, yet.

I heard from a friend (how reliable is that?) that Dylan is going to send out 50,000 copies of the new album to AARP members. That means I could actually get this without having to pay for it.  I was just snarking to the same friend last night that Dylan SHOULD give this album away free and I guess I heard me.  It's not like he needs the money.

LouieB

I heard from a friend (how reliable is that?) that Dylan is going to send out 50,000 copies of the new album to AARP members. That means I could actually get this without having to pay for it.  I was just snarking to the same friend last night that Dylan SHOULD give this album away free and I guess I heard me.  It's not like he needs the money.

LouieB

Yep - your friend is correct.  Pitchfork, of all places, confirms.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58191-bob-dylan-giving-new-album-away-to-50000-aarp-magazine-subscribers/

That's so fucking funny. I mean I was making a joke about this last night.  I said he should just ship the thing to record stores and give them away there, but this is way better.  Most of my ggggg-generation doesn't go to record stores anymore and there aren't any in many towns. 

When I was growing up Sinatra was considered square as can be.  He only picked up some cred in his later years.  I guess it all comes back around (I mean look at Tony Bennett). 

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Let's get a couple things straight in anticipation of the new Bob Dylan album.  He is not "covering" Frank Sinatra or anyone else.  Frank Sinatra didn't write these songs.  You can cover Bob Dylan; you cover someone who has done the song first, but most of these songs were done by numerous people.  Dylan is doing a standards album, the same as all older rock musicians like Rod Stewart, Annie Lenox, or Linda Ronstadt have done.  A great standards album is "A  Little Touch of Schmilson in the Night."  Buy a copy of that if you don't have one. It's a great album without any pretense of being anything but what it is. (Plus Harry Nilsson's voice is amazing.)  Frank Sinatra had a great voice, but to most people of my generation he was an old, out of touch, has been.  He regained his relevance (only somewhat) as he aged. Why not leave this material to people who can do it far better; the cabaret pop, or jazz singers?   

I am sure there will be partisans who think this is a great thing.  Sign me up for a super discounted CD version of this album when it flops.  On the heels of the monumental Basement Tapes, this seems like a huge let down. To me, another album of traditional American music and/or blues would be welcome.  Why not revisit those songs that influenced him as a young man?  Perhaps there was Sinatra in there, but not to the extent that people like Hank Williams influenced him. But I suppose he has one more opportunity to try and remake himself.  It just seems like this is a lame attempt, but I know it isn't the first time.

LouieB

LouieB

Help, please. I'm looking for a performance of Dylan's from a tribute concert. All I recall is it's him playing acoustic and singing, it's about a two minute-long performance, and the man being honored, and who wrote the song, is an American songbook/Broadway musical type, like Richard Rodgers or Cole Porter, but not them (apparently). The song is a lesser-known nugget from a musical, called something like Sway or -- shit, I don't know. I am pretty sure a YouTube link is somewhere in this thread but I can't locate it....

Oh and it seemed to be from the early 90s, iirc.

'Soon' was done in 1987, just before the dylan/dead tour

Let's get a couple things straight in anticipation of the new Bob Dylan album.  He is not "covering" Frank Sinatra or anyone else.  Frank Sinatra didn't write these songs.  You can cover Bob Dylan; you cover someone who has done the song first, but most of these songs were done by numerous people.  Dylan is doing a standards album, the same as all older rock musicians like Rod Stewart, Annie Lenox, or Linda Ronstadt have done.  A great standards album is "A  Little Touch of Schmilson in the Night."  Buy a copy of that if you don't have one. It's a great album without any pretense of being anything but what it is. (Plus Harry Nilsson's voice is amazing.)  Frank Sinatra had a great voice, but to most people of my generation he was an old, out of touch, has been.  He regained his relevance (only somewhat) as he aged. Why not leave this material to people who can do it far better; the cabaret pop, or jazz singers?   

I am sure there will be partisans who think this is a great thing.  Sign me up for a super discounted CD version of this album when it flops.  On the heels of the monumental Basement Tapes, this seems like a huge let down. To me, another album of traditional American music and/or blues would be welcome.  Why not revisit those songs that influenced him as a young man?  Perhaps there was Sinatra in there, but not to the extent that people like Hank Williams influenced him. But I suppose he has one more opportunity to try and remake himself.  It just seems like this is a lame attempt, but I know it isn't the first time.

LouieB

LouieB

Actually, he's done that. Twice

Also these are songs were popularized and made famous by Sinatra, so it's a "Sinatra cover album" is an apt description as Sinatra is the common denominator on all these songs. What your saying is akin to saying a band performing I Got You is covering Jeff Tweedy not Wilco. Just because Sinatra didn't write these songs, doesn't mean they aren't Sinatra songs.

I've got the album. Best Dylan album to take drugs to since Time Out of Mind. I like his vocals, he seems to connect to the songs. And I'm a sucker for pedal steel, which is really the focus of the album. Nice arrangements of the songs, the band sounds good. Not one of his greatest, not one I'll listen to that often, but not a disaster, or anywhere near that.