The Official Bob Dylan Thread

I finally got a copy of and listened to the Dylan covers album. (Popped for the vinyl with the CD.) Okay so it isn't so bad really, but it isn't so good either.  Every arrangement to every song is basically the same. I do like the pedal steel being used as a string section.  Perhaps this will spark some interest in that era of songs sung by people who can really sing those songs. 

LouieB

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't.  I waited quite awhile. (Getting a vinyl copy for $15 was an okay incentive.)  But compared to the Christmas album it is actually fairly okay.  I won't say I will be revisiting it much in the future though. 

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Imagine my surprise when I learned that Emmylou Harris sang backup on Dylan's "Desire".

..and what a Dylan album to sing backup on. The harmonies on "Oh Sister" are stunning.

Desire is my favourite Dylan album.

• 2 months later...

I have not ran across anything official - but this is circulating around:

The next installment of the Bob Dylan‘s heralded Bootleg Series will focus on the development of his electric sound in two crucial years during the ’60s.

The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12, due on Nov. 6, includes early demos, alternative versions and outtakes from a period that saw Dylan release Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde. Those sessions produced signature tracks including “Like a Rolling Stone,” “Subterranean Homesick Blues” and “Visions of Johanna.”

“At the beginning, most songs were fairly shapeless,” Dylan sideman Al Kooper says in the new issue of Rolling Stone, which will be available Friday. “Only little by little did they come together.”

Expected highlights include Bob Dylan’s early attempt at a plugged-in version of “Mr. Tambourine Man,” months prior to the Byrds crafted a breakout hit with it. A take on “Visions of Johanna” includes alternate lyrics. And the whirlwind sessions for “Like a Rolling Stone” are comprehensively explored.

There are also early Blonde on Blonde tracks featuring future members of the Band, recorded before Dylan changed direction and decided to use a group of Nashville musicians. Those sessions differed greatly from the more loosely organized Highway 61 Revisited, said Kooper, who unexpectedly found himself sitting in on organ for “Like a Rolling Stone.”

The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12 will be available in three different editions: an economical two-disc size, an expanded six-disc version and a massive 18-disc package, which includes, among other things, sessions for “Like a Rolling Stone.”

That should be a good set --- Al Kooper, for some reason bugs me, mostly because he comes off as a pompous ass - hopefully his quotes are not all over the liner notes - or worse writes the liner notes. Usually the liner notes for these sets are great - I am sure it will continue to be so with this set.

Probably will settle with the two disc set - like I did with the Basement Tapes.

Would be nice, but the last time the first rumors and press was about Blood on the Tracks being a subject of the Bootleg series, then Basement Tapes came out. I loved the basement tapes, but was psyched to have BOTT. So i'll believe this when it happens.

Ignore this as the next bootleg set is official and not just a rumor.

Have you ever read his book? I don't think I have. He was a guy who was in the right place at the right time.

No I haven't read it - he definitely was in some cool sessions, so it might be an interesting read - if he doesn't overly fawn over himself too much.

Yet another example of music made around the time I was born (days before and days after) that end being the sort of music I am into.  I think some of that stuff is on the first Bootleg (Vol.1-3) boxset. Visions of Johanna, Fourth Time Around, and Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands are three of my favorite Bob songs. I'd like to hear acoustic versions of those songs. 

Yet another example of music made 21 years before I was born that end being the sort of music I am into. ;)

This series always has a lot of care when it comes to the presentation, and music is always top notch. I grabbed Another Self Portrait this summer, it's now some of my favourite Dylan music ever. I'll be picking up the 3LP version which I believe is the same as the 2CD.

Yet another example of music made 21 years before I was born that end being the sort of music I am into. ;)

This series always has a lot of care when it comes to the presentation, and music is always top notch. I grabbed Another Self Portrait this summer, it's now some of my favourite Dylan music ever. I'll be picking up the 3LP version which I believe is the same as the 2CD.

Yes, a lot of the Another Self Portrait material was wonderful.

This is the Bootleg Series I have been waiting for! This is the holy grail of all things music. It's lame that the 18 disc set has all of those extra items, but to finally be able to hear the outtakes of the Blonde On Blonde sessions, I feel the price is somewhat justified. Good thing I skipped out on a vacation this year (and next year, too.)

For anyone interested in these sessions, I highly recommend Clinton Heylin's 'Revolution in the Air.' He discusses each Dylan song from 1957-1973 in great detail, including the unreleased songs. His observations of BIABH, H61R and BoB are very illuminating.