The Official Bob Dylan Thread

For those not aware this is in place of this year's copyright extension. Basically, some European laws have made material need to be released after 50 years to keep a copyright on it, otherwise it enters public domain in Europe. They've been doing this since 2012 (1962). Usually it's released either as a small run boxset of vinyl records, or sometimes as MP3s either (briefly) on iTunes or as a bonus for those who bought the Cutting Edge boxset last year. This year it's more available as a CD boxset likely due to the amount of high quality recordings of the 1966 concerts thanks to the Don't Look Back documentary (or maybe Eat the Document?). The price is fairly low so I think the audience recordings are just there to keep the copyright so other labels can't print their own copies and sell them and also to protect the performances incase a high quality recording is ever unearthed.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was wondering about that when I first saw it mentioned. I don't know if I will bother buying that 2 disc version or not. I am thinking I won't if the set list is the same as the release from a few years ago. 

It came out 20 years ago!  Right?  Like you, to me it feels like 2 years ago. Dylan was wrong when he sang 'time passes slowly'.

Plus I am a weirdo and actually prefer the acoustic set over the electric set.

you think a weirdo?. i dont see the big fuss over the 66 tour at all.

the voice on the acoustic sets puts me to sleep and its all over the place on the electric set

i much prefer the stuff he did in 65. both the acoustic shows and the ones in the 2nd half of the year

Looks like those who went to Desert Trip got a good setlist, at least, no Sinatra:

1. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
5. High Water (for Charley Patton)
6. Simple Twist Of Fate
7. Early Roman Kings
8. Love Sick
9. Tangled Up In Blue
10. Lonesome Day Blues
11. Make You Feel My Love
12. Pay In Blood
13. Desolation Row
14. Soon After Midnight
15. Ballad Of A Thin Man
--------------
16. Masters Of War 

Looks like those who went to Desert Trip got a good setlist, at least, no Sinatra:

3. Highway 61 Revisited
6. Simple Twist Of Fate
7. Early Roman Kings
8. Love Sick
9. Tangled Up In Blue
10. Lonesome Day Blues
12. Pay In Blood
13. Desolation Row
14. Soon After Midnight
15. Ballad Of A Thin Man
--------------
16. Masters Of War 

Stones' setlist looked good on paper too. Too bad they didn't guest during each other's set and interesting that neither played Like a Rolling Stone.

3. Highway 61 Revisited
6. Simple Twist Of Fate
7. Early Roman Kings
8. Love Sick
9. Tangled Up In Blue
10. Lonesome Day Blues
12. Pay In Blood
13. Desolation Row
14. Soon After Midnight
15. Ballad Of A Thin Man
--------------
16. Masters Of War 

So, so glad I did not pay $80 to see Dylan this past summer. I would have been ripped with the set list he has been playing for the past year compared to this one.

That's interesting. I would think he was probably pretty strung out during that tour. 

I think as time (decades) go by I just prefer acoustic Dylan more than whatever else he does. 

I like that acoustic set on Real Live.  Especially Tangled up in Blue with the different lyrics.  It's also cool when the crowd just goes apeshit when Dylan starts playing the harmonica.

you think a weirdo?. i dont see the big fuss over the 66 tour at all.

the voice on the acoustic sets puts me to sleep and its all over the place on the electric set

i much prefer the stuff he did in 65. both the acoustic shows and the ones in the 2nd half of the year

Yeah, but I like the set lists better in 66 - you are right, though - it's ragged. I re-listened to the Sydney show from 4/13/66, today --- the 1st set is pretty great, hopefully the 2nd set is cleaned up in the box set - my version doesn't sound all that great.

I suppose we have to remember there was no sort of soundboard or monitor system back then. They probably could not hear themselves very well. I think the first time I recall seeing such a thing was little speakers on the stage at Monterrey Pop. There must be some sort of book out there that gives the history of such things.

Yeah - on the 4.13.66 set that I have, Dylan vocals are way out front in the 2nd set. They did a good job with Bootleg Vol. 4 - hopefully they spent some time cleaning the shows up. With the price point, I doubt the spent a lot of time, though.

I think Dylan did have small on stage monitor - from pictures that I have seen --- need to find it, though.