I'm glad the Lions didn't trade the same for Cutler. They have WAY too many needs to address to waste picks on a primadonna. Even though yes, Cutler seemingly would be better than any of the QB draftees.

I would be very happy if the Lions did nothing but draft D with their first 5 picks. Win 3-4 games, get QB and O-line next year.

You're already salivating over the prospect of Tim Tebow (unless he gets injured this year -- that would be one way to disprove the existence of a god).

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Citing Cutler's numbers in Denver is a little irrelevant, no?

He had some pretty good talent running and catching the ball for him. Unless there's comparable talent in CHI will Bears fans expect anything close to those numbers?

Yes, he's an up-grade on the field but how does it change the team if everything else remains pretty much the same? Orton wasn't the main problem, was he?

Orton was definitely one of the main problems. He is an average QB--not the type you win because of. As I said before, they have most likely fixed another one of their major problems in O-Line. They have a good running back in Forte. They have Cutler's main target from his last year in college in Earl Bennett (who may or may not pan out as an NFL receiver--hasn't been given the chance yet). Could they have plugged other holes and won with Orton? Maybe, but they wouldn't have won a Superbowl most likely.

I think the Bears gave up too much.

I do too, the following analogy is great, but time will tell. With Hadl though the packers got a pretty decent quarterback who had already reached his peak and was on the decline, while Cutler is young at least. I do believe tha pack was more competative with Hadl than they had been with Hunter, Tagge or whomever else filled the slot post Starr.

I see the draft picks given up and think George Allen, but then again I am reminded that the bears have a pretty solid history of making bad first round picks. So all in all it may not be bad. Really only time will tell. At least they were not raped the way the Vikings were raped when they got Walker in the trade that made the 1990's cowboys.

I'm not ready to do that yet. It kind of smacks of the Packer's Hadl trade. Two firsts and a QB who was your starter last year is awfully steep. And there's still the question of who he's going to throw to.

As a Packer fan, I really like this trade because it does make the Bears better and can revive the greatest NFL rivalry -- Packers-Bears.

Wait, if we're going by past deals, if Green Bay traded one first-round pick for Favre, that would mean Cutler will have to be more than twice as good as Favre.

When GB traded for Favre, he was not Favre yet and they still had the Majik man who had not yet been injured. Different times different teams.

The bears have a way of taking quarterbacks and wasting their talents. Usually they take rookies and make them worse. Perhaps with a semi-developed player they will find it harder to mess him up. That being said I certainly hope that the traditional chicago QB situation is behind us for a while. Throughout my life the best quarterback for the bears has always been the guy on the bench. From Concannon to douglas, to nix, evans, etc... right on through Orton. We havea ggreat tradition in Middle LB and running back but not much else.

I thought the Lions were going to draft Stafford? Or are they going to draft a tackle this year (like every other year)?

Apparently Stafford really impressed them at their private workout, so I don't know...

It's between Stafford, Curry, and a o-line guy whose name escapes me.

I'm nervous about Stafford - doesn't seem that he's all that, but Curry seems like the real deal. My philosophy is - improve the guys who allow points first, then worry about the guys who score points later.

As far as his attitude goes, it's hard to blame him for not wanting to play in that kind of situation. Once the damage was done by McDaniels.

i like cutler but he should have let his agent do the bitching and appear at least to be above the controversy.

instead, he looks like a baby (to be kind) or just a complete douchebag regardless of whether he had the right to be pissed at the beginning or not.

Apparently Stafford really impressed them at their private workout, so I don't know...

It's between Stafford, Curry, and a o-line guy whose name escapes me.

I'm nervous about Stafford - doesn't seem that he's all that, but Curry seems like the real deal. My philosophy is - improve the guys who allow points first, then worry about the guys who score points later.

Mos def

I am a life-long Bear fan and I am ecstatic about getting Cutler! I can't believe that it happened. This is the biggest acquisition that the Bears have ever made, ever, for the following reason: for the first time in my lifetime, actually any Bear fan's lifetime (Sid Luckman, eeeeee, maybe) the Bears have A REAL QUARTERBACK! It is worth every bit of what they gave up to get him. This is going to change the team for the better for the next decade.

Jerry Angelo cannot pick first round talent. He is good in the later rounds, but not the first. (Rex Grossman, Cedric Benson, Michael Haynes, Marc Columbo, DAVID TERRELL!!!, ech) The Bears have had some decent teams in the past decade and even made a Superbowl without the benefit of good first round picks.

The amount of money that first round picks demand (even at 18) is a huge hit on the cap for for a crap shoot. That money can be used elsewhere... like receivers and keeping key players off the free agent market instead of wasting guaranteed money on ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The teams that win championships have one of two things: a superior defense or a top notch quarterback. Cuter is most definitely that. This kid has the tools to be a top 5 QB for a long time.

The old-school Bear's fans that focus on the running game... watch out next year. Having Cutler is only going to open up the running game for Forte, because they'll have to focus on a passing threat for once.

He has said and done some silly shit, that is not doubt. But he's a kid! He's like 24/25 years old. He's playing for his childhood team for which he wanted to play, and with Orlando Pace and Olin Kreutz in the huddle with him on every down, he's not gonna get away with much. Plus, personally, I do not see his attitude as being as severe as what I am reading in this post. He is not a "cancer". He's just a whiny little baby. You know who else was a whiny little baby?... Jim McMahon... and what Bear fan doesn't love him?

I love this move...IT'S JAY CUTLER DAY! :frusty

KNIBB HIGH FOOTBALL RULES!!!

Jerry Angelo cannot pick first round talent.

I think this is the most common knock for *any* GM. Do you realize the average success rate for 1st-round picks? The draft is a gamble enough, but the greatest dichotomy of hit/miss is in the first round. Throw in the fact that franchise pics come to the teams who sucked the most with a culture of losing, poising a talented pick for failure. Top QB picks behind paper offensive lines. WR with no one to throw to them. DBs forced to get up to speed with the pass-happy NFL. I know there are studies, but if a GM hit on one out of five 1st round picks, they'd be doing pretty solid.

I can see your enthusiasm. But by trading two first rounds and giving away their second-best hope at QB, the Bears are gambling and don't really have ammunition for a plan B if it doesn't work out.

I can see your enthusiasm. But by trading two first rounds and giving away their second-best hope at QB, the Bears are gambling and don't really have ammunition for a plan B if it doesn't work out.

Are you a Bear fan? (In all honesty, not being smarmy) because you sound like one. Stuck in this acceptance of QB mediocrity. Kyle Orton will make a nice back-up QB with Denver or whomever. But as a starter, he is not a plan A. Never will be... mark it down... We don't need him, he is not the answer. Cutler is.

Why wouldn't it work out? OK. If he gets hurt or something, they're in trouble, as they are now, but they'll pick up a free agent back-up. If he stays healthy this will work. He is lacking in nothing when it comes to what you would want in a QB. 6'3'' 230 lbs., quick feet, quick release, great vision, accurate, ROCKET arm. This is the guy!

Cutler has thrown for over 4500 yards last year and 3500 the year before. No Bear quarterback has EVER thrown for 4500 yards, and I think 1 Bear QB has thrown for over 3500 yards in a season (Kramer in 1995). This is the flagship franchise of the NFL...

I sound like a goon, I realize this. I never get this excited about what the Bears do... this is a fantastic move and I love it!

I think this is the most common knock for *any* GM. Do you realize the average success rate for 1st-round picks? The draft is a gamble enough, but the greatest dichotomy of hit/miss is in the first round. Throw in the fact that franchise pics come to the teams who sucked the most with a culture of losing, poising a talented pick for failure. Top QB picks behind paper offensive lines. WR with no one to throw to them. DBs forced to get up to speed with the pass-happy NFL. I know there are studies, but if a GM hit on one out of five 1st round picks, they'd be doing pretty solid.

I think this 1st round pick success demon is why Detroit didn't have a chance to get Cutler. No one wants that 1st pick hanging around their neck. Detroit has a better chance getting struck by lightning than getting this draft right. And even with a decent draft, we're years away from being a viable franchise. Even Cutler wasn't going to change that.

I think this 1st round pick success demon is why Detroit didn't have a chance to get Cutler. No one wants that 1st pick hanging around their neck. Detroit has a better chance getting struck by lightning than getting this draft right. And even with a decent draft, we're years away from being a viable franchise. Even Cutler wasn't going to change that.

At least they finally got rid of Millen. Jesus, what took them so long?

At least they finally got rid of Millen. Jesus, what took them so long?

Maybe not as badly as Oakland does, but the Lions could use a new owner.

From this article:

At least one fan's feelings weren't assuaged by Bowlen's letter.

"I thought it was too little, too late,'' said Ken Mendelsberg, 42, whose family has had Broncos season tickets since 1961.

Neither Bowlen's letter nor McDaniels' news conference Friday curbed his concerns about the direction of the franchise.

"I don't understand why he'd go to a press conference wearing a hoodie,'' Mendelsberg said of McDaniels. "Jay Cutler showed up at his press conference (in Chicago) looking nice. He looked like he had a makeover - nice suit, nice tie, nice haircut. He even laughed. I'd never seen him laugh. It's like he had a new lease on life.''

He doesn't feel the same about his beloved Broncos.

"I'm so bummed. What do I tell my kids? We don't have a quarterback; we don't have a defense,'' Mendelsberg said. "This did nothing to ease my mind.''

How about telling your kids that there are more important things than sports?

Moron.

"I don't understand why he'd go to a press conference wearing a hoodie,'' Mendelsberg said of McDaniels. "Jay Cutler showed up at his press conference (in Chicago) looking nice. He looked like he had a makeover - nice suit, nice tie, nice haircut. He even laughed. I'd never seen him laugh. It's like he had a new lease on life.''

:rotfl

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Former Chicago Bears and Arkansas Razorbacks defensive lineman Ken Anderson has died of a heart attack at age 33.

Anderson's pastor, Dexter Howard of Life Harvester Church in Fayetteville, confirmed to The Associated Press on Saturday that Anderson died Friday night. Anderson was a minister at the church and was living in the Fayetteville area.

Anderson lettered for the Razorbacks from 1994-97 and played for the Bears in 1999.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04062009/news/...vows_163138.htm

By DOUGLAS MONTERO

Last updated: 9:53 am

April 6, 2009

Posted: 2:16 am

April 6, 2009

Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen's armed bodyguards opened fire on paparazzi at the couple's nuptials in Costa Rica, blasting out the windows of a pho tographer's SUV, and just missing the shaken lensmen, the fotogs said yesterday.

Just moments after they talked their way out of an argument with Brady's irate buddies and hired goons, a bul let smashed through the rear window of the SUV and then through the front windshield, just missing the heads of the two fleeing photo journalists on Saturday night, they said.

"Thank God I'm all right. At that moment, I thought I was going to die," lensman Rolando Aviles told The Post.

"The bullet went between us, missing our heads," Aviles said. "If the bullet been a little more to the left or right, it would have killed one of us.

"I said, 'They're going to kill us,' and that's when I hunched down to cover myself."

"When the glass broke, that's when my friend started driving really fast."

Aviles said he and colleague Yuri Cortez, both veteran photographers hired by the INF photo agency, had permission from Gisele's neighbor in Santa Teresa to shoot the wedding ceremony from a vista about 300 feet away from the ceremony.

Brady and Gisele were married in Los Angeles County in February, and were renewing their vows on Saturday. Just as the photographers started snapping, the couple's bodyguards spotted them and chased them, according to Aviles.

The pair ran back to Cortez's Suzuki SUV, parked about 500 feet away in dense brush.

They split up as they ran away, and by the time Aviles said he reached the SUV, his colleague was already there speaking to a Brady bodyguard.

Aviles quoted the guard as saying, "Tom Brady just wants to talk to you. It's OK, nothing's going to happen.

But when the photographers accepted the guard's invitation back to Gisele's house, they were swarmed by three members of the wedding party and five hired goons dressed all in black.

The New England Patriot quarterback's best man berated the photographers and wanted to provoke a brawl, the lensmen said.

"Take a picture of me now, you f- - -er! F- - - you," Brady's righthand man, whose name was not immediately known, screamed, according to Aviles.

"He was very angry. It looked like he wanted to attack us," Aviles said. The photographers lied their way out of the tight spot -- saying they hadn't taken a single frame.

The QB's reps said Gisele had an exclusive picture deal with a Brazilian magazine.

As the lensman drove away, Aviles said he spotted one of Brady's men pull a pistol.

Seconds later, a bullet shattered the back of Cortez's SUV, struck a front windshield wiper and then bounced back into the cabin, landing in between the terrified shutterbugs.

"I thought this was going to be my last job," Aviles said.

The fotogs said they found a .38-caliber slug in their SUV's front cabin.

Both cameramen were still in disbelief yesterday that they almost died for snapping wedding photographs.

"I couldn't believe it when I realized what they had done," Cortez told the photo agency's Web site, INF Daily.

"I could have lost my life for the sale of some pictures that Gisele didn't want published. Are they insane?"

Reps for Brady and Bundchen did not immediately return calls for comment.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I'm a detractor, but he was never a favorite of mine.

That said, he's always seemed like a good guy and he certainly knows football. I hope he enjoys his retirement.