New album news!

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we heard Wilco debut the song "One Wing" at Lollapalooza last year' date=' we predicted that the band was consciously moving in a more experimental direction (a la Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), but the songs we heard at the Loft take Wilco in yet another new direction.[/quote']

Hmm. (I mean, not that it wasn't pretty clear from what we've heard that this isn't YHFII.)

NICE CATCH!!! I can't wait. I'm sure it is "sick" ...they all have been. My only concern is that being a long time subscriber to RS...they seem to be going in the "anything done by anybody of any band that has any clout gets at least 4 stars". Economically, they seem to be struggling like most print media these days in the changing mass media environment, along with the struggles at the record companies, and are grasping at straws to find a solid identity again. Anybody that reads it regularly will most likely agree with me on that (not speaking for the masses, of course). They recently gave Springsteen's new album 5 stars! A classic they say. Now, I'm not much of a Springsteen fan, so all of you New Jersey dwellers please forgive me, but I listened to that album and it was a total dud. Anyway, I'm sure the new Wilco album will be stellar, I just have to take anything that RS publishes these days with a grain of salt...I just realized I am one crabby old curmudgeon...sorry. :realmad

They flew all the way to Chicago to not tell us anything other than "we'll like it."

When they said that their editors would be angry if they gave anything else away, that made it sound like there may be a more substantial "real" article to come.

NICE CATCH!!! I can't wait. I'm sure it is "sick" ...they all have been. My only concern is that being a long time subscriber to RS...they seem to be going in the "anything done by anybody of any band that has any clout gets at least 4 stars". Economically, they seem to be struggling like most print media these days in the changing mass media environment, along with the struggles at the record companies, and are grasping at straws to find a solid identity again. Anybody that reads it regularly will most likely agree with me on that (not speaking for the masses, of course). They recently gave Springsteen's new album 5 stars! A classic they say. Now, I'm not much of a Springsteen fan, so all of you New Jersey dwellers please forgive me, but I listened to that album and it was a total dud. Anyway, I'm sure the new Wilco album will be stellar, I just have to take anything that RS publishes these days with a grain of salt...I just realized I am one crabby old curmudgeon...sorry. :realmad

No, it had to be said. RS have been followers not leaders for quite a while. They are on the polar opposite of Pitchfork in terms of hype/trendsetting. I think the truth and reality lies somewhere in between those two entities. New Springsteen 5 stars. That is rich! Haven't heard a note of it, but I can only imagine.

:worship

:stunned

Wow, I'm a little stunned at this post from RS and the email we got from Wilco HQ. I'm dying to know what the other 3 songs they got to hear were.

My Country Has Disappeared. Now that's a great song title. That song to me shows the most promise out of what I've heard so far. Very John Lennon in my ears.

I seem to remember reading about Deeper Down being played somewhere. I don't think this has surfaced yet has it ?

I really like all of the new songs that they have been playing. Can't wait until June.

Kristofor

Man! That article did nothing but give me more questions (as intended?). They listed like eight songs. Wilco has historically recorded a half a dozen songs more than they need for an album. I wonder if they did that this time, or if they recorded 12 and they're releasing 12 kind of story.

I do know that I'm disappointed that TJ Doherty isn't taking a greater role in engineering the album. I think he's just been doing overdubs at the Loft, but didn't make it to NZ.

Meanwhile did they start off in New Zealand like this:

"Okay, band meeting. First thing: attendance. Jiff?"

"Present."

"Great. Glinn?"

Picture%202.jpg

Meanwhile did they start off in New Zealand like this:

"Okay, band meeting. First thing: attendance. Jiff?"

"Present."

"Great. Glinn?"

I'm just happy that you guys know what a New Ziland accent sounds like, let alone that Wilco has recorded a large chunk of their new record here.

Who would have thought?

I think I'll have some fush and chups to celebrate.

Between this, and the success of FOTC, I'm a little proud right now.

I'm just happy that you guys know what a New Ziland accent sounds like, let alone that Wilco has recorded a large chunk of their new record here.

Who would have thought?

I think I'll have some fush and chups to celebrate.

Between this, and the success of FOTC, I'm a little proud right now.

Bro, I just hope they rattle their dags and get the album released. Cheers.

i understand this is maybe how recording goes but the fact that the whole band sans Nels and Michael recorded the album in New Zealand is strange to me.

if they had this creative spurt, why not fly out the the lead guitarist and keyboardist? Overdubs at the Loft, to me, would seem distant to the original recording time and feel. but since RS says it is great, I totally believe it.

i just wonder how nels and michael felt about being at original recording.

probably not a big deal.