New album news!

Ok, I made the mistake of even commenting on something that will never resolve itself, and I am now going to only post about music, because of this type of mindset. I thought I said in a nice way that it is cool to have an opinion just be respectful to the idea that not everyone shares it. I guess that is too much and I guess from your perch you are always going to know the right way to think. So can I have permisson to post about wilco or am I too ignorant and lost on that subject as well. Hell I love politics, I love all of us ranting and arguing about things that the big wigs in Washington could give two craps about unless it gets them more of what they have. But, no, you all are right, we have some people truly looking out for us and the world now.

See above post. Sorry etc.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See above post. Sorry etc.

No it's cool, just gets me fired up when I get the vibe of "you are an idiot" because you feel the way you do. Politics just blinds people and we all run to our corner and hold tight no matter what the reality of the situation is. Hell I don't know what that reality is, I just know that I'm not ignorant and that my opinion isn't useless. It just always confuses me when people who appear to be liberal minded are the most closed minded about things. I hate the "you are cool as long as you agree with me" attitude. Anyway, this whole thread of course has nothing to do with the actual new music and all to do with a qoute in a magazine. So here is to another great Wilco record.

Did it say the interview was before the election? Do y'all remember how contentious it was during the election? Seems like a pretty mild quote, given the time. I kind of doubt Jeffy would say something like that now. Most folk are over that that type of sentiment and just what do we has to be done to get moving again.

I think being "so over" thinking of the Bush administration's wrong doing might be a bit callous. I think any American song writer is following a rich tradition when they meditate on events and the shaping of our country. The last eight years have been profound, I assume we are still digesting them and will continue to for decades. The almost mythological importance of the Reagan years as well as the Nixon years are still contemplated in cinema, art, music and literature. There is still fruit to be had in considering an era of our country's existence.

I think this train of thought, which is not only political, is the only thread of legitimacy in the often trite genre of Americana. Considering your place, and what it means, making a new 'folk' music, that describes your people and their times is a noble order when it is actually accomplished.

I think you have a false dichotomy. It doesn't have to be about something as asinine as which party is right. Good music often explores history, the times. You don't need to wait on congressmen to sing about your life and your country.

I think a lot of this meaning is what has enriched Wilco's music for a long time. It is part of the tunes. It's a lot of what makes them tick. Accessing those ideas and images aids in the enjoyment of them. If you choose not to dwell on a certain lyrical trope, you're at your liberty as a patron of the arts- but to suggest that rock and roll is obliged to be disinterested in the changing times is anti-intellectual and inconsistent with the history of the culture.

I enjoyed these posts. :thumbup

Would love to hear a release date for this. Last I heard it was just set for sometime in June, right?

Yep, sometime in June. There has been no release date, album title or tracklist released yet. Hopefully soon, though. :yes

I received my Rolling Stone in the mail yesterday. Couple of good pictures (Jeff laying on a couch with guitar in hand next to Pat; Nels recording lap steel parts).

After the quote in question (My Counry Has Disappeared being about hope and optimism after 8 years of feeling awful), he goes on to say that the song is about the same things he has always written about, specifically America and mortality.

He also compares Wilco, The Song to an infommercial.

thank you Mr. Hannity. he states that the last 8 years were not a hellish nightmare in which Bush screwed everything up entirely. everyone knows that that is in fact exactly what happened.

-justin

ad hominum attacks are always a good way to endear yourself to people.

so, it's broken then? the part of your brain that allows you to detect sarcasm, i mean.

-justin

See my previous post...

Oh, I'm sorry Hazel - Like you mentioned in your separate thread today on the Feist duet news from RS Smoking Section, you wished you had posted it in "new album news" and so I merged it in with this thread. Since we talked about the Feist duet last week, a few pages ago, I took out the link. No worries.

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?act...amp;pid=1289735

I'm with you on being excited about the duet! Can't wait to hear it.

Oh, I'm sorry Hazel - Like you mentioned in your separate thread today on the Feist duet news from RS Smoking Section, you wished you had posted it in "new album news" and so I merged it in with this thread. Since we talked about the Feist duet last week, a few pages ago, I took out the link. No worries.

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?act...amp;pid=1289735

I'm with you on being excited about the duet! Can't wait to hear it.

oh ok, i haven't been checking in so much lately and i missed the discussion about the feist duet. damn and i thought i found some hot news,... :lol

I agree. But then again, if those feelings helped him write a great song, I don't really give a shit what he was feeling or how legitimate I think those feelings are. The only thing that matters is the quality of the music.

Hell, he could write an album celebrating McDonald's and Wal-Mart, and as long as the music and the songs were great, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Amen, I've heard a live version of the song, and I didn't think, "Hey, I'm gonna judge this because of the supposed message behind it." No way, I thought to myself, "This is a great, melodic tune by a true master that I cannot wait to hear finalized."

Amen, I've heard a live version of the song, and I didn't think, "Hey, I'm gonna judge this because of the supposed message behind it." No way, I thought to myself, "This is a great, melodic tune by a true master that I cannot wait to hear finalized."

Uh where can I hear this song? Seriously...has "My Country Has Disappeared" surfaced?

Uh where can I hear this song? Seriously...has "My Country Has Disappeared" surfaced?

I downloaded two mp3s of "new songs" from the Bridge School Benefit... It wasn't until I heard the name of the song and listened closely to the lyrics that it was "My Country Has Dissapeared." I don't think those mp3s are available anymore, unfortunately... The quality isn't great but it was my favorite of the two (The other was "I'll Fight")

I downloaded two mp3s of "new songs" from the Bridge School Benefit... It wasn't until I heard the name of the song and listened closely to the lyrics that it was "My Country Has Dissapeared." I don't think those mp3s are available anymore, unfortunately... The quality isn't great but it was my favorite of the two (The other was "I'll Fight")

They are still available. I would post a link but owl and bear screws up my work computer. Sometime this week I am going to make an updated zip or rar file of all the news songs that have surfaced (One Wing, Sunny Feeling, I'll Fight, My Country Has Disappeared, You And I, Everlasting Everything, Solitaire, Wilco The Song, Deeper Down) Wow that's a lot. Let me know ifI'm missing anything.

They are still available. I would post a link but owl and bear screws up my work computer. Sometime this week I am going to make an updated zip or rar file of all the news songs that have surfaced (One Wing, Sunny Feeling, I'll Fight, My Country Has Disappeared, You And I, Everlasting Everything, Solitaire, Wilco The Song, Deeper Down) Wow that's a lot. Let me know ifI'm missing anything.

Oh, has "Deeper Down" surfaced? I didn't see it posted anywhere. I've been waiting to hear that one.

That sounds great

Guest Jules
Oh, has "Deeper Down" surfaced? I didn't see it posted anywhere. I've been waiting to hear that one.

I think it was only played at a Living Room Show. No recording available (yet).