New album news!

I think this album will be no good. If he had made an awesome album he wouldn't be sitting around the kitchen table, moping and feeling uncomfortable, now if he was all HI FIVE DUDE and air guitar solos would bring some hope.

Not the artistic type, I take it.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this album will be no good. If he had made an awesome album he wouldn't be sitting around the kitchen table, moping and feeling uncomfortable, now if he was all HI FIVE DUDE and air guitar solos would bring some hope.

Your kidding right? I don't think Jeff is the type that HI FIVE'S DUDE's, rips out the air guitar, busts open a Bud Light and screams "now lets watch the game boys!!!"

He's an artist.. What I got from that quote is the album is going to be a great work of art, like all of this other albums..

Yeah. I'm not sure hearing the early live versions of most of what might be on the album puts anyone in a better position to know what the thing will actually sound/feel like. Again, the reviews are coming in before anyone has heard the thing.

Well, when I listen back to the early live versions of the songs on Yankee and Ghost (and even as far back as Being There and Summerteeth) even though they weren't fully formed yet, there was something there immediately that made me think "wow, they've got something wonderful here." Even when I listen to the late 2005 Tweedy solo shows, I could tell "The Ruling Class" was going to be amazing, and that I was probably never going to be crazy about Is That The Thanks I Get? So, even though I don't have any idea what this record is going to be like I do think it's fine to speculate on the quality of the rough material thus far. With the disclaimer that everything could get better or worse when it comes to the album version.

--Mike

Well, when I listen back to the early live versions of the songs on Yankee and Ghost (and even as far back as Being There and Summerteeth) even though they weren't fully formed yet, there was something there immediately that made me think "wow, they've got something wonderful here." Even when I listen to the late 2005 Tweedy solo shows, I could tell "The Ruling Class" was going to be amazing, and that I was probably never going to be crazy about Is That The Thanks I Get? So, even though I don't have any idea what this record is going to be like I do think it's fine to speculate on the quality of the rough material thus far. With the disclaimer that everything could get better or worse when it comes to the album version.

--Mike

I agree. Does speculation and early listens and glimpses (watching the Colbert Report for instance) cloud what I'm ultimately going to think when I listen to the album the first 15-20 times? I don't think so. Whatever is there is going to grab me by the woohoo. Or not. Past experience with Wilco calls for protecting my woohoo, though.

I just spit a mouthful of Coca-Cola on my computer! Who is he? Puddy?

--Mike

I think it is fine, and fair. I just keep holding my opinion until I hear the real deal. I heard the live debut of "The Late Greats" and it was pretty lame. Early live recordings showed "Impossible Germany" to be promising, but it wasn't yet essential- but it is now.

I guess if I were to drop any judgement on a slap-dash collection of solo, and full band live debuts: I would say it looks promising. I really like SBS, but I think this might even be better.

Sorry... in that case it was funny.. I have a hard time detecting sarcasm sometimes on this board. :)

+1

Sorry... in that case it was funny.. I have a hard time detecting sarcasm sometimes on this board. :)

I was aiming for contrary or something. Speaking of communication breakdown, can somebody tell me what the monkey :monkey emoticon means? I've seen it used but can't figure it out. Or this one? :ninjatorch Oh and I've never even seen this one :moo Where are the rest of the animals?

You've spent blood and sweat in the vulnerability of the creative process, laid your heart open, then you have to think about what you want to say about it on the record, knowing you're going to be judged against what you say now, and that the music will be judged against what you say, and what you said before will be judged based on what others say about the album, and -- hopefully -- by what one actually hears on the album.

:crybaby

I'm saying that if that's the worst thing Jeff Tweedy has to worry about, it does not suck to be Jeff Tweedy.

truer words have never been spoken.

truer words have never been spoken.

Creative angst may not be as bad as "OMG, am I going to starve to death" angst or "OMG, am I going to get a bomb dropped on me by some asshole in a Stuka" angst, but if your livelihood rests upon the quality of your creative output, uncertainty about it can be very unpleasant.

And, do you NOT want the dude to take what he does seriously?

Creative angst may not be as bad as "OMG, am I going to starve to death" angst or "OMG, am I going to get a bomb dropped on me by some asshole in a Stuka" angst, but if your livelihood rests upon the quality of your creative output, uncertainty about it can be very unpleasant.

The old perspective arguement. It is the difference between being imprisoned in actuality, living in "my own prison", or feeling competely disconnected due to previous reference from a Creed album.

Creative angst may not be as bad as "OMG, am I going to starve to death" angst or "OMG, am I going to get a bomb dropped on me by some asshole in a Stuka" angst

You've been dying to use "Stuka" in a sentence, haven't you.

You've been dying to use "Stuka" in a sentence, haven't you.

Not really - I had a lot of creative angst over whether the reference is too dated.

Not really - I had a lot of creative angst over whether the reference is too dated.

Nah, the guy wrote a song called "Impossible Germany"

Absolutely, it's his livelihood, and he should take it seriously. However, I disagree on principle that it can suck to be someone who makes his living playing in a rock band, based on the fact that he has to talk about his new album sometimes.

It can absolutely suck to be someone who makes his living playing in a rock band, for other reasons.

i've been avoiding this thread to shield myself from new album news, but wouldn't this image make a great album cover or some other something to follow-up to the sky blue sky image. it is not my image, i found it on the washington post website.

next.jpg

i've been avoiding this thread to shield myself from new album news, but wouldn't this image make a great album cover or some other something to follow-up to the sky blue sky image. it is not my image, i found it on the washington post website.

I'm kind of hoping they get away from the color scheme they've had on the last 4 albums. They've all been fairly monochromatic since Summerteeth.

I'm kind of hoping they get away from the color scheme they've had on the last 4 albums. They've all been fairly monochromatic since Summerteeth.

agreed. i think it's time for a good retro (maybe even psychedelic) and colorful album cover.