New album news!

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hollinger.

Because they work for an uber famous music magazine and we post on a message board that the band likely finds a bit creepy sometimes?

I hate Pitchfork. They act all excited, but you know they'll give the album like a 5.8 and say: DAD ROCK DAD ROCK DAD ROCK DAD ROCK DAD ROCK.

I agree. Pitchfork is a bit biased towards ultra-indie music.. and anything by Radiohead.

a message board that the band likely finds a bit creepy sometimes?

Repeated for accuracy.

its going to be a pian in the arse when the thread gets bumped up and we have to type W(TA)

Just be glad they didn't keep this title business going and release the concert film *after* the album. then it would be W(TF).

Guest Speed Racer

I knew it I knew it I knew it!! I don't get much right in the world of Wilco-predictions, so woooooo! Also wearing my very first Wilco shirt today for the very first time, so I totally courted good karma on that one. (By the way, don't I work at the coolest law firm EVER?!)

So the description of one song means every song?

Should there not be any guitar solos on the album?

I'm not sure I'm really interested in a Wilco album that didn't have any guitar solos. That's one of the many things they do great. If I want to hear music without guitar solos, I'll put in another band's album that does other things better.

wilco should have emotional guitar work... what jay bennett used to bring to the picture. nels cline is nothing more than someone who does what he is told but brings no originality to the band - he has amazing guitar skill, yes that is obvious, but is it necessary to display it in every song? no, and we all know from listening to wilco live that just about every song these days turns into a nels cline guitar solo extravaganza. i much prefer it when jeff handles the solos because again his guitar work evokes a lot of emotion. that's why at least that's what you said is one of my favorite wilco songs. if nels played the solos on that, or on i'm the man who loves you, those songs would immediately become stale and dull, like most of sky blue sky.

i just think it's a bad sign that already rolling stone is talking about one of the songs erupting into a nels cline solo. for one, the solos all sound the same. it's him hammering as fast as he can 2 or 3 strings to make that noisy buzzing sound. it isn't a solo like a jimi hendrix solo or a jimmy page solo, it's basically just him beating the shit out of his guitar. i'll be happy when tweedy and co. prove me wrong, but i think a wilco without nels would be much improved. lets make tweedy do all the soloing or pat sansone.

And Glenn rollicks on every song. Boy does that get old. That's what I hate the most about rock: awesome drums and killer solos.

And what did Jay Bennett do? At least here they want Nels to throw in a killer solo. I'm sorry, but toward the end Jay's live solos reminded me of that exchange from That Thing You Do: "Is Chad gonna solo on 'Wipeout'?" "Every song is 'Wipeout' to Chad."

If you want rock without killer solos, you can probably score some Hanson tickets?

i don't think nels solos are killer, that's just how rolling stone put it. this is of course the same rolling stone that consistently gives nickelback albums 4 stars. i'm not sure how much they can be trusted.

but anyway hendrix did killer solos, stevie ray vaughan did killer solos, jimmy page did killer solos, nels not so much. he's a jazz guitarist - not a rock guitarist. i think all his solos sound the exact same. but that's just my opinion.

I take issue with your grammar here. Unless...

you take issue with my grammar? :blankstare:

ummm it looks like the new album name has been announced...it's all over pitchfork and rollingstone.com

www.pitchforkmedia.com :D

WILCO (THE ALBUM) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: ok i was a bit late on this one :D

I'm not sure what to make of the name to be honest.. very simple.

Guest Speed Racer
this is of course the same rolling stone that consistently gives nickelback albums 4 stars. i'm not sure how much they can be trusted.

At first I thought this was off topic, but it's really not: I've always thought that Rolling Stone (and every music review organization, honestly) rates music according to how it performs within the band or artist's own standards and the genre itself. For whiny, greasy-haired Canadian faux-grunge, Nickelback does produce 4 star quality work rather consistently. I would have no problem with a 4-star Nickelback review adjacent to a 3-star review for Sky Blue Sky.