New album news!

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point I know I know I'll be dying to hear the mixes pre-Nels and Mike. I'm a bit weary of the way this was recorded, those two doing overdubs way after the fact.

You've obviously never made an album. Unless you're a militant studio engineer whose tastes are dictated by a methodical work flow- 90% of your favorite albums are overdubbed a lot. There are some wonderful albums recorded mostly live, but to suggest that there is any lack of amazing albums with lots of overdubs would be almost like ignoring the last forty years of popular music.

I don't expect the new album to be like any of the others. I think that's why everyone was thrown for a loop last time. Its also what makes me excited.

i didn't think "one wing" sounded anything like they were moving more towards a YHF sound at all.

but oh well, i'm still really excited.

Moving in a new direction for the band like YHF was a new direction from Summerteeth...that's the way I interpreted it.

Nothing wrong with it. I thought Sky Blue Sky was good and a few of the songs were great, but the 2 albums before are a couple of my favourites of all time, so I'd much rather it was as good as them instead.

Yeah, I'd find another album in that vein to be a little troublesome as well. I don't really care how they record it, whether they use ten million overdubs or none, as long as the collection of songs are strong. That's where I personally found SBS to be a little lacking, I mean there really isn't anything they could do studio-wise to make Walken as interesting to me as Sunken Treasure or Hate it Here as affective as Ashes of American Flags. So, while I am not looking for them to return to a particular sound, I'd be quite pleased if they made another album as good or even better than YHF. At worse, it would at least keep the "Should Jay Bennett return to Wilco?" threads down for the next two years.

--Mike

I don't really understand why everyone is so concerned about the whole band "not recording together" bit. It's really not a big deal. I mean, AGIB and SBS were admittedly recorded all together in one room, but this kind of technique is basically how 95% of albums are recorded these days. Wilco practiced these songs plenty of times before setting them to record, and I'm sure the whole decision was just made for practicality purposes. It's not like the band doesn't get along, or they don't trust Nels to play in New Zealand or something. Crazy talk the whole bunch of it.

I'm excited for this record, SBS has it's moments, it's not my favorite Wilco record, but I like it and I listen to it pretty frequently. From the bits and pieces I've heard and read this album sounds like it will have a little more in the way of a dynamic sound than SBS but I'm not expecting anything particularly groundbreaking. YHF will probably always be the Wilco record I connect the most too, but every record of theirs has had songs that I really truly love, and I'm sure this will have some more of those.

I like most of Sky Blue Sky. It's a beautiful record in parts. I think they messed up by not including One True Vine, which in beauty, is maybe only topped by Either Way. For me, Walken, Shake it Off and Hate it Here are awkward musically. Some songs I really like are more direct than usual Wilco songs (On and On and On, Please Be Patient With Me, What Light).

Sky Blue Sky just lacks a little bit of the great artistry and edge that are on previous Wilco records. I know some of that was Jeff's intent.

I recently listened to Sky Blue Sky and Radiohead's In Rainbows back to back. I'd say both records are the bands' "pretty" and "mellow" records. But I was struck at how Radiohead was able to keep their artistic edge....lyrically and musically...within songs that are pretty low-key.

I think Sky Blue Sky does that in parts, but not as consistently as on previous Wilco records.

The songs I've heard that apparently will be on the next record make me very optimistic that the new record is gonna be great lyrically and solid musically.

I'm in the I enjoy SBS group. I feel like we have to take sides? Anyway, I will never likely have the initial emotional impact to a Wilco album like I did with BT or ST (just because life changes and so on). In fact the first time I heard Either Way was probably the closest I got to that feeling since those earlier albums. I will say this however, if Wilco takes alot of the advice on this board and makes records just based on artistic "edge" or merit, that is when I will likely stop loving this band and their music. Someone earlier said "Walken" was musically akward. Ok? I'm not sure what that means, but if you listen just from a straight forward viewpoint (like a 5 year old would). "walken" is one groovy little rock song. Is just making catchy tunes my only qualifier? No, but being artistic for artistic sake isn't anything I'm interested in. Hence why Radiohead has bored me since Ok Computer. I know that makes me lame, but that is my point of view.

I'm in the I enjoy SBS group. I feel like we have to take sides? Anyway, I will never likely have the initial emotional impact to a Wilco album like I did with BT or ST (just because life changes and so on). In fact the first time I heard Either Way was probably the closest I got to that feeling since those earlier albums. I will say this however, if Wilco takes alot of the advice on this board and makes records just based on artistic "edge" or merit, that is when I will likely stop loving this band and their music. Someone earlier said "Walken" was musically akward. Ok? I'm not sure what that means, but if you listen just from a straight forward viewpoint (like a 5 year old would). "walken" is one groovy little rock song. Is just making catchy tunes my only qualifier? No, but being artistic for artistic sake isn't anything I'm interested in. Hence why Radiohead has bored me since Ok Computer. I know that makes me lame, but that is my point of view.

I agree with Either Way. I'm not implying that every album needs to be an artistic statement. But I DO think every good album needs a good flow. To me, a pretty Sky Blue Sky gets interrupted a few times.

"Awkward" is maybe a bad word. But 3 songs all have this clunky, halting sound that, in my opinion, ruins the flow of the record.

Hate it Here: Nice beginning. Groovy. 1:50-2:10....what the heck is THAT noise? OK...now we have a cool sounding guitar lick. 3:15-4:00...aack!...what IS this noise?!

Shake it Off: Kinda slow, but kinda pretty. Kinda soulful. OK, not bad. 2:30-3:05...what is THIS noise? Then it comes back worse from 4:40-5:10.

Walken: Kinda groovy. Bopping my head. Not my cup of tea, but not bad. 1:10-1:25....there's that halting noise again. From 3:20 forward, the song rocks.

I agree with Either Way. I'm not implying that every album needs to be an artistic statement. But I DO think every good album needs a good flow. To me, a pretty Sky Blue Sky gets interrupted a few times.

"Awkward" is maybe a bad word. But 3 songs all have this clunky, halting sound that, in my opinion, ruins the flow of the record.

Hate it Here: Nice beginning. Groovy. 1:50-2:10....what the heck is THAT noise? OK...now we have a cool sounding guitar lick. 3:15-4:00...aack!...what IS this noise?!

Shake it Off: Kinda slow, but kinda pretty. Kinda soulful. OK, not bad. 2:30-3:05...what is THIS noise? Then it comes back worse from 4:40-5:10.

Walken: Kinda groovy. Bopping my head. Not my cup of tea, but not bad. 1:10-1:25....there's that halting noise again. From 3:20 forward, the song rocks.

These are the three songs on SBS that I thought were the most adventurous!

we predicted that the band was consciously moving in a more experimental direction (a la Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), but the songs we heard at the Loft take Wilco in yet another new direction.

what does that even mean? imo, austin skaggs is kind of a gonad...but i'm hoping for the best.

Anytime I hear "new direction" thrown about like that, I get flashbacks to this scene: Jazz Odyssey

Hilarious! Nice connection...I wish I had thought of that. At the same time, now I'm getting twitchy about the new direction that wasn't the original direction from the previous direction. I'm thinking more pyrotechnics and face paint. :rock

What do you mean "THIS noise"? Is it you don't like tempo changes?

For me SBS simply 'crosses over' - it's more acceptable to a mainstream audience which is why IMO it alienated some of the hardcore fans.

Selling out? Not really - cos it didnt' sell that many anyway, but I just got a feeling that Tweedy might have been a little too 'settled' and 'content' after his issues. That could be interpreted as the comfort zone which in turn might lead to a 'safe' even 'bland' record. After all, history shows that that's what many acclaimed bands do - make a couple of great cutting edge records, then LOSE their edge when the success starts coming and eventually churn out bloated crap.

Not that I see SBS as being that, but I worry about the warning signs. 'Hate It Here' just sounds like Rod Stewart to me playing to a load of pissed-up desperate houswives at a hen party. For all the clever guitar stuff 'Walken' leaves me feeling the same.

Hell, even my wife likes it! (it MUST have crossed over)

I'm just hoping that the 'edge' returns for the new one. From what I've heard the lyrics and melodies sound very strong but I still have a feeling that the newly content Tweedy will not allow Wilco to lose its newly won 'wider' audience, and that, I reckon, will mean something not massively dissimilar to SBS. Very good songs assured but with many of the YHF and AGIB afficionados finding plenty to moan about.

Oh, and the band will become very successful.

that's funny. all of the points in those songs that you listed are the best parts IMO. it's where i really get into the groove of the song and what makes me love to dance to them. :dancing to each their own.

I just hope it rocks. I need some rock.

HA! I always love the thumbs down dude in that scene.

thumbsdown.jpg

Nice, I've been known to bust out that pose anytime I am sitting through a concert I don't particularly enjoy.

In semi-related news I just facebooked Pat to ask him if a cover of Stonehenge will be on the new album, still haven't heard anything back...

"No, we're not doing fucking Stonehenge, tomorrow!"

--Mike.