New album news!

The only example I can think of right now is Pearl Jam, which I think could be seen as a retreat to basics or to reestablish themselves after the relative failures of Binaural and Riot Act.

Actually, I get more annoyed at just naming an album after a song than a self-titled album.

supposedly the case with Pearl Jam was simply that they were past the deadline and couldn't decide on a title. it's funny that it's become known as Avocado now by fans (what a shite album cover that was too).

i prefer bands who take a lyric from a song on the record for the title, it's a neat little point of discovery usually.

Yeah, I think the word "standout" is the only thing that I can find worrisome in the description of the next record (though a guitar sounding like a flute can be really cool or really lame; putting my faith in Nels).

perhaps it stands out because it's the only fast/short little rocker ala Wheel?

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since they aren't using Crush the Cities as the song title, it would be a pretty cool album title.

I was thinking the same thing. I really think it would be a great idea! :thumbup

So what happened to Let's Fight? they played it in 06 and it disappeared?

Of the songs I've heard that are supposedly on the new album, although not a part of the RS list, is One Wing. Saw them play it at Lollapalooza...that could be considered a standout.

i dunno... i mean when they surprised us all by playing a 100% brand new and unheard of song on national Television, that excited me.

and considering the title and lyrics, it seemed to fit the tone of the Colbert Report to me in it's goofy-sense. i honestly thought it was something that lyrically Jeff wrote specifically for the show in a total joking/tongue in cheek kind of way.

I've heard it a few times live now, and I like the song for what it is. But I absolutely thought the same thing when I first heard it on Colbert.

I've always thought that if Wilco The Song wasn't put either as the first song, last song, or a hidden track the album is automatically going to get panned, it's way goofier than Heavy Metal Drummer or I'm A Wheel imo. For RS to call it standout doesn't surprise me at all either for some reason they always love the silly songs more than others.

Also as I recall for SBS, maybe one or two tracks leaked on a blog one night and it maybe was Either Way and Impossible Germany, or something like that. And it was the next day that Wilcoworld posted about the listening party for the record. It was all done in a very quick manner so they could beat the leak essentially, so everyone could hear it.

Wilco The Song certainly isn't groundbreaking, but it's got a goofy Werewolves of London type vibe that makes it pretty pleasurable to listen to and I find it far easier to take than Hate it Here or even I'm a Wheel when I am not listening to it in the record. This may be delving into "What do you want from Wilco," but there were a few times on SBS where the "you had three years in between records and this was the best you could come up with" thoughts start cropping up, and I can understand people's concern if Wilco The Song is listed as a standout track-- keep in mind though Rolling Stone magazine is a pretty shitty gage.

So I guess it really all depends on where WTS is put on the album, if there are a few jaw droppingly good tracks like-- She's A Jar, Sunken Treasure, Misunderstood, Ashes, Jesus, etc, Poor Places, At Least That's What You Said-- I wouldn't have a problem with it as a transitional song, but if it truly is a standout track, I think this one might get the same response as SBS.

--Mike.

I've heard it a few times live now, and I like the song for what it is. But I absolutely thought the same thing when I first heard it on Colbert.

cool, glad i'm not the only one :thumbup

I thought Wilco The Song was about Wilco being there for their fans - He says "Wilco Loves you, Baby", right? :dontgetit

You're obviously not hip and ironic :stunned

The only way this album is going to be great is if they go back to using synthesizers again. End of story.

Yeah, I hope they do it in stereo and on Eight Track......Folks, when I was much younger I didn't worry about what the next Beatles album was going to sound like......Obviously things turned out okay........Like I said before, don't worry.......It's Wilco.......Don't you trust them to put out a good product? Do you think they really want to release a piece of shit?........Take what comes and enjoy it........In a few years it will be one of their classics that people here will wish they would repeat on their next album.....

The only way this album is going to be great is if they go back to using synthesizers again. End of story.

I did like your original version of this post that got moved to the other thread, I edited one of mine down a lot last night because I thought it was a little rambly, but I liked your reasoning behind a lot of those ideas.

--Mike

In a few years it will be one of their classics that people here will wish they would repeat on their next album.....

Just like we're all clamoring for them to repeat Sky Blue Sky right now :P. Just messing with you though, I remember wanting to bash my head against the wall when the pre-Sky Blue Sky threads took similar directions. Every album they've put out has had it's detractors, and now just like the YHF fans had to bare with the original fans who wanted them to stick with the AM/BT sound, the fans of the more experimental Wilco albums are a little grouchy. I am starting to see parallels between Wilco's new stuff and SBS and the Talking Heads records after Eno stopped producing them. They aren't bad by any means, but I am not pouring over them and listening over and over and over like I did with everything Wilco put out from Being There to A Ghost is Born.

But hell we'll get over it, buy some Califone albums, and cherish every white noise freakout they go into with the old stuff during the live shows. And I hope you're right, maybe this new album is going to be one we were all clamoring for, but I can't shake the feeling that my favorite era of the band might be over.

--Mike.

But hell we'll get over it, buy some Califone albums, and cherish every white noise freakout they go into with the old stuff during the live shows.

--Mike.

:brow This statement, along with Wendy's enthusiasm, has convinced me that I need to listen to some Califone.

:brow This statement, along with Wendy's enthusiasm, has convinced me that I need to listen to some Califone.

Yeah, if you enjoyed YHF, Califone would be right up your alley. They're not quite as good lyrically, but sonically the band is amazing.

--Mike

Horoscopic Amputation Honey :wub

braid your sins into its mane

and kick it to the county line

shake your chains cold and loose

there's nothing safe in your stars

in and out of sleep even with the rise and fall

pulled the mattress out the window

laid out under the smoke rings

and the funnel clouds

shake your stars bring it down

sad sad complications