Top 3 most underwhelming bands/artists you've ever seen

I can't believe I've seen Bob Mould-acoustic AND Husker Du in this thread. Here's mine anyway;

(Sorry I missed the title that said only 3!!)

Bob Dylan with Heartbreakers-Hoffman Estates, IL

Petty was so much better than Bob that night. I was stunned.

Bruce Hornsby-Northwestern U

I thought it was going to be a solo piano gig based on the venue but he had newly formed "Noisemakers" with him. The venue is designed for classical music, not pop/rock. All I heard all night was pounding drums and bass which was the last thing I'd expect from a Hornsby show.

Counting Crows-The Rave, Hard Candy Tour

A band I thought was destined for greatness had turned into a teenybopper fan characture of themselves. And the sound at The Rave was just horrible.....

Jane's Addiction (w/Smashing Pumpkins surprise opener)-Aragon Ballroom Reunion Tour

Perry was way messed up on who-knows-what and after The Pumpkins killer opening set, they seemed really lame. Plus we all know how bad the accoustics are there. I will never go to the Aragon for anyone again......

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Bob Dylan, 1988, GE Smith ruined it with his metal riffs.....and mumblin' Bob wasnt in very good shape.

:mellow

that was one of his come-back tours. stripped down band and powerful performances (i've got a recording of every show he did in 88)

> Bob Dylan, 1988, GE Smith ruined it with his metal riffs.....and mumblin' Bob wasnt in very good shape.

that was one of his come-back tours. stripped down band and powerful performances (i've got a recording of every show he did in 88)

PM on the way!

The Killers

I actually really liked them until I saw them live... Maybe because they played a lot of stuff from their new album that hadn't been released yet.. Not a good album.. Not a good album at all....

Yeah, I agree. If the solo acoustic show was in the 90s, I don't know how it could've possibly been underwhelming.

I like Husker Du and Bob's solo albums, and I like some of Sugar, but his solo show was monotonous. He was sitting in a chair playing one of those crappy sounding Ovation acoustics, playing and singing with no sense of dynamics whatsoever. Every song was the same tempo and same volume. This must've been in '97, or so. Maybe he was just having a bad night, but that show put a big and everlasting dent in my desire to see any more solo acoustic shows.

Mark Kozelek...what an f'n lazy performer. never finished a song, went on so late, dicked around on stage, yelled at people. just a waste of time and money. it's so ironic given his records are so meticulously produced to perfection.

Second time I saw Bob (first time was with Petty--Bob was pretty bad that time too) at Poplar Creek IL.......havent seen Bob again. I think, in general, the 80s werent that kind to him. It didnt help that I'm not a GE Smith fan either.

If you havent already, check out Bob's 2000 tour of England--fantastic stuff.

modest mouse (at the ryman) - good acoustics do not help if you scream every song as loud as you can. awful show. band of horses opened and were great.

wu tang clan - followed rage against the machine. their stage show made gbv seem sober. trainwreck.

the replacements - opened for tom petty (i think during full moon fever tour). played one or two songs, told nashville to fuck off and left the stage. tom petty did end up playing for almost 4 hours.

Mark Kozelek...what an f'n lazy performer. never finished a song, went on so late, dicked around on stage, yelled at people. just a waste of time and money. it's so ironic given his records are so meticulously produced to perfection.

have heard of such situations ala Cat Power, but thankfully the 3x i've seen him have all been good, esp the one last year.

Really, the only "please, god, kill me now" moments I can remember ever having at concerts were both at festivals where I was trapped too close to the stage for artists I don't like--Blink 182 and Barenakedladies. I'm not sure either can be said to have been totally horrible, I just don't care for them and had a hard time fighting my way through the crowd to get the hell out.

Funny story about the Blink 182 one--this was at the Warped tour sometime around '99 or so, and at one point I was hanging out way near the back of the pack and ended up chatting with members of the Black Eyed Peas, who had just performed on the other stage, and they were cracking jokes about Blink.

Let me say that again for emphasis.

The Black Eyed Peas were making fun of them.

How awesome/funny/ironic is that?

(of course, this was before the "My Humps" era when they didn't totally suck--their set that day was actually kind of fun)

Oh, and if I need a 3rd, I'll pick Blues Traveler headlining the HORDE for the bazillionth time or whatever. The years they had people like the Allman Bros or Neil Young headline the thing = teh awesomeness. The years they were unable to come up with a good headliner and tried to fill the void with harmonica solos? Not so awesome.

I like Husker Du and Bob's solo albums, and I like some of Sugar, but his solo show was monotonous. He was sitting in a chair playing one of those crappy sounding Ovation acoustics, playing and singing with no sense of dynamics whatsoever. Every song was the same tempo and same volume. This must've been in '97, or so. Maybe he was just having a bad night, but that show put a big and everlasting dent in my desire to see any more solo acoustic shows.

I get it, now, kind of. I've had those moments at some of his shows too. Usually, though, he'd pull something out, either a rare song or just pull off some emotional high (or low) that would leave me devastated.

I've seen plenty of mediocre shows, but I have to say that the Shins (Lolla '06) was BY FAR the most underwhelming show I've ever seen. I think what was so bad about it was that my friends had all hyped those dudes (after Garden State came out, half the kids I was friends with were all over that shit), and when they came on stage, they played a lifeless show with each song sounding the same as the one before.

I was also quite underwhelmed by Sonic Youth (same festival). I felt bad for Kim Gordon...her voice just ain't what it used to be. Maybe it would've been better if I had been more familiar with them.

This last one is completely subjective (and rather retarded). When Glenn Kotche played with the Kronos Quartet at Ravinia in September, my friend, my roommate and I took the Metra down to the park to have a nice picnic dinner, taking in the scenery and some kick-ass music. When we got to the gate, where we ran into a friend of my friend, we found out that our LAWN SEATS wouldn't allow us to see the show--it was in the theater on the grounds. I felt like a dumbass for not reading the damn website. Because of my lack of cunning, my pals and I had to sit outside in the park on a cold September night, eating shitty, expensive food from the food court and merely listening (on shitty speakers) to what we should've been seeing.

In a nutshell, the experience was underwhelming because we weren't really at the show. :(

I can't believe I admitted that.

I've seen plenty of mediocre shows, but I have to say that the Shins (Lolla '06) was BY FAR the most underwhelming show I've ever seen. I think what was so bad about it was that my friends had all hyped those dudes (after Garden State came out, half the kids I was friends with were all over that shit), and when they came on stage, they played a lifeless show with each song sounding the same as the one before.

I was also quite underwhelmed by Sonic Youth (same festival). I felt bad for Kim Gordon...her voice just ain't what it used to be. Maybe it would've been better if I had been more familiar with them.

I agree with the Shins. I am not much of a fan, but my wife was excited to see them perform at Lolla '06, and she and I were extremely disappointed. If I remember correctly didn't they all wear green outfits.

On the other hand I liked the Sonic Youth's performance. It was the first time I ever saw them perform, so perhaps I may not be the best one to judge if they put on a decent performance that particular day, but I enjoyed it though.

Weezer - ...Ipreferably the Tremont Music Hall (general admission capacity around 1,000). Wow, now that was an awesome show.. It was their first tour after Pinkerton...

God I would've loved to see them on that tour. It's really too bad that dvd they released however many years ago contains next to zero actual live footage from that period

2000 Dylan bootlegs? Yikes.

Yeah. Imagine someone having an obsession like that. Right, Lammy? :stunned