Top 3 most underwhelming bands/artists you've ever seen

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of actively hating, I saw a metal band called Balaam and the Angel open for Iggy at the Metro in Chicago in 1988. At first I thought they were there only to piss off the crowd to work them into the kind of frenzy that Iggy would want, but the Wikipedia article says they were label mates back then. I can almost guarantee the only records they sold to Iggy audience members were purchased out of irony.

I must admit that Sun Volt was pretty underwhelming. They played the final show at Tramps in NYC, which you'd think would call for a big celebration of the place. It was billed as the final concert. It must have been around the second album, both which I really liked at the time. The music was great, but it was as if there were X's taped to the stage because they didn't move one inch from where they were each standing the entire night. And I couldn't believe that the band didn't say a single thing to the crowd, not even a hello or to acknowledge the closing of the venue. The whole thing gave the impression of a lack of energy and emotion. Strange show.

I must admit that Sun Volt was pretty underwhelming. They played the final show at Tramps in NYC, which you'd think would call for a big celebration of the place. It was billed as the final concert. It must have been around the second album, both which I really liked at the time. The music was great, but it was as if there were X's taped to the stage because they didn't move one inch from where they were each standing the entire night. And I couldn't believe that the band didn't say a single thing to the crowd, not even a hello or to acknowledge the closing of the venue. The whole thing gave the impression of a lack of energy and emotion. Strange show.

that's jay

you go into it knowing he's not going to talk - except for the nightly "hey, how's everybody doing?" - and he's not going to jump around and he's really not going to do much of anything except play a bunch of freaking incredible songs

it's good enough for me

when you go see the symphony, they don't talk to the crowd and they don't jump around the stage, but everybody seems to enjoy the music

Guest Jules
when you go see the symphony, they don't talk to the crowd and they don't jump around the stage, but everybody seems to enjoy the music

The Symphony is much less a visual experience, though. You're there to hear it more than to see it.

Part of the enjoyment of a rock & roll concert is the manor in which it is delivered. At least for me.

The Symphony is much less a visual experience, though. You're there to hear it more than to see it.

Part of the enjoyment of a rock & roll concert is the manor in which it is delivered. At least for me.

i love that when it's genuine, but if that's not what the artist is all about, i have no problem with a guy who does things the way jay does. just stands there and performs. if i dig the music, i don't need all the jumping around & chatting with the crowd. that's who the guy is & if he changed to make people happy it wouldn't ring true

as much as I hate to type this, I'd have to say it was a Doors of the 21st Century gig in London back in '05. I went with a group of friends and we were all totally hyped. I ended up meeting a girl there who was, for lack of better words, a groupie and she told me this sad story about how the band had invited them out for dinner and as they were eating, Ian Astbury walked in and flipped out because they had started eating before him. I still remember the look on their faces during the show. they looked so depressed, it was sad and a big bummer for me. not to mention, the show was short and they played a very basic set-list. then, to top it all off, after the show I asked Ian a question about something and he blew me off! never meet a musician as rude as him before. good thing he's no longer with the band! :thumbup

other than that, I've had a blast at all the other shows I've been to.

The Shins - not even Eric Johnson from the Fruit Bats could save that band on stage. Boring. But I still like their CDs okay.

Fiery Furnaces, opening for Wilco - twice I listened to that, although the second night I hung out in the RCMH lobby instead.

Joe Bonamassa - just can't get into a guy in a suit and tie with sunglasses on stage. Indoors. At night. And playing uninspired blues. I really only went because it was a local performance at the Embassy and heaven knows they need support to bring ANYBODY to our city.

And it pains me to say both of these bands are underwhelming as well:

-Autumn Defense

-Son Volt

And Cryptique, you should remember this one:

Benoit Pouilard - the electronica/visual artist opening for Califone in Ann Arbor. OMG, awful! :lol

For some reason that I can't quite fathom I left 2 pixies shows ('89 Fillmore & '91 Orpheum). I liked them then and now, but for whatever reason they weren't doing it for me those nights. Probably more to do with them than me. Or vice versa.

The Cure sucked balls, but I was only there to try and tag a goth chick anyway.

White Stripes last year wasn't so hot.

Dylan not so good both times I've seen him, but I'll forgive him b/c he's old and I don't really like him anyway.

Son Volt is dull live.

I saw Cracker suck once (2nd album) and rock once (1st album).

Cornershop just stood in one place and looked bored. It's a shame for a band whose music is so danceable.

For some reason that I can't quite fathom I left 2 pixies shows ('89 Fillmore & '91 Orpheum). I liked them then and now, but for whatever reason they weren't doing it for me those nights. Probably more to do with them than me. Or vice versa.

Dylan not so good both times I've seen him, but I'll forgive him b/c he's old and I don't really like him anyway.

Son Volt is dull live.

I saw Cracker suck once (2nd album) and rock once (1st album).

You managed to name 3 of my all time favorite live acts Stripes (They haven't toured in 3 years?) , Cure (When did you see them?) and Cracker (2nd album was kerosene hat..that album is awesome!!)... :pirate

PS Welcome to the board..

1. Credibility loss right off the bat

2. Stripes didn't tour last year

3. Why would you go see Dylan if you didn't like him and then expect to?

...and Cracker (2nd album was kerosene hat..that album is awesome!!)... :pirate

inspired me to dig that out. Bicycle Spaniard yeah!

My Morning Jacket weren't so great at the Big Day Out this year. Sound guy had the bass cranked and the vocals too low so maybe not their fault. But then they ran over time and cut into The Mint Chicks set which was killer.

1. Credibility loss right off the bat

2. Stripes didn't tour last year

3. Why would you go see Dylan if you didn't like him and then expect to?

1. Why? Because I went to see the Cure? Because I didn't like them? Because I was 20 once and thought with my pecker? Or because I once had a crush on a girl who wore black eyeliner all the time? And REMPHISH1 it was the Disintegration tour in maybe 1990 or 91. Thanks for the welcome as well.

2. Sorry. It was 2007 at Sloss Furnace in B'ham, AL. I don't have the strongest recollection for things that aren't so memorable.

3. Free tickets both times. The topic didn't specify that you had to expect to like the artist in question. Plus, I thought if I took a dig at Dylan with my first post on a Wilco board it would spark a reaction. ;)

d Cracker (2nd album was kerosene hat..that album is awesome!!)... :pirate

PS Welcome to the board..

I didn't say I didn't like the album. As a matter of fact, to bring it back to Wilco, that was my first exposure to the band (I'd seen and heard Uncle Tupelo before) but had been warned off of AM by some friends whose opinion I respected but was completely blown away by them as Cracker's opening act (which may go some ways in explaining my disappointment with Cracker that night). Like I say, I'd seen them after the first record and they were fantastic. They played until the venue cut the power on them mid-song after about 2 1/2 hours.

1. Why? Because I went to see the Cure? Because I didn't like them? Because I was 20 once and thought with my pecker? Or because I once had a crush on a girl who wore black eyeliner all the time? And REMPHISH1 it was the Disintegration tour in maybe 1990 or 91. Thanks for the welcome as well.

2. Sorry. It was 2007 at Sloss Furnace in B'ham, AL. I don't have the strongest recollection for things that aren't so memorable.

3. Free tickets both times. The topic didn't specify that you had to expect to like the artist in question. Plus, I thought if I took a dig at Dylan with my first post on a Wilco board it would spark a reaction. ;)

Ahh...yeah just wondering because Cure supposedly wasn't so good live in the mid 90's.The first time I saw them was in 2000 and I was blown away by it. Disintegration is a amazing album.Maybe it was an off night. Jealous you saw Cracker on the first tour. I saw them last year and they play Happy Birthday to Me, Mr. Wrong and Teen Angst and I was thinking how awesome it would have been to see them back then.

Stripes show in 2007 was great though I did like the tour before that better.

PS. I saw Ani Difranco because I was interested in this girl..it happens to the best of us...

Okay, here is a blasphemous post:

I've only seen Wilco once, and was underwhelmed.

TA-DA!!!

Of course, it was maybe their second-ever show and consisted of a lot of material from A.M., which is my least-favorite Wilco record. Jeff played the first half of the show solo/acoustic and it was good. But I was really waiting to hear the new material during that part of the show. And, when he finally got around to introducing the new band and playing the new stuff..... it was okay.

:uhoh

Little Feat - the first time I saw them it was just after they had gotten back together and they had that guy from the Pure Prairie League fronting, they were great. Saw them a little after and they were stiff and over rehearsed.

Steely Dan - stiff and over rehearsed

Beck - one of the best concerts I'd ever seen, then a few years later, shitty. He just seemed really bored, didn't engage, called it in. Sucks because I liked him a lot.

Well, here's one that seems obvious in hindsight, but I'll go with Dave Matthews in '97 or so. I had followed them in the early (pre-fame) days and always thought they were enjoyable. This was my first time seeing them after they got popular and this particular show was at the old Capital Center (terrible acoustics) and I was directly on the side of the stage which kind of blew--but mostly that was the night I realized that the DMB crowd was becoming increasingly dominated by a-holes who seemed to be doing anything but paying attention to the show. I don't usually complain too much about crowds, but that one really killed it for me. The band was really flat that night, too. There are very few bands where I can pinpoint the date I stopped being a fan, but this one I can.

Okay, here is a blasphemous post:

I've only seen Wilco once, and was underwhelmed.

Me too.

I actually nodded off a bit but that may be because of too much Budweiser and our seats were in the nosebleeds.

But I havent been compelled to see them again. I'm waiting until Nels moves on.