The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Without question the Allmans were one of the very best live bands I've ever seen. I got to see them up close (2nd row) once and Betts blew my  mind. He's truly one of the great Rock guitarists ever.

I kind of get the feeling that the biggest Allman fans love their hardest rocking the most. I actually prefer some of the quieter tunes, like Sweet Melissa and Midnight Rider.

I don't think that is accurate.  I have no idea which songs you feel are the hardest rocking of their repertoire, but having attended a bunch of Allman shows, the audiences were equally rapturous when they played Blue Sky, Dreams, etc. as they were for, say, Whipping Post,Trouble No More, etc. 

I've never felt you could pin their fans into any box, as their catalog of music is about as wide ranging as it gets.

Everyone watch out for the bags of various items that may start being thrown about...be prepared to duck....

Agree though, the Allmans are way, way above Skynyrd, Boston, or the Doobies, musicianship wise - tastes are all subjective, but musicianship is not.

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh.

Was running around with kids and every time I turned on XM Deep Tracks, they were playing a Allman Brothers tune - after the fourth time, I assumed Gregg had passed and sure enough Earle Bailey - DJ on Deep Tracks, came on and said that he died. So happy that I was able to see him play.

Now listening to the Fillmore East shows. I am listening to the Blu-ray, which runs pictures while it plays- nice to see them so young. 4 gone.

They are starting to really hit home for me. This guy is a damn legend and now he is gone. It' really unbelievable. Makes me think more and more about my mortality. RIP Gregg

One of my favorite albums of theirs was Back Where It All Begins. That, and those two live sets they put out in the 90s. Got to see them several times then with Warren and Woody. One in particular was one of the best show's I ever saw. I'm so glad they were able to have some solid years near the end. Those final shows are incredible.

I was in college in Atlanta in 1970's. One night, we heard that Cowboy, a group out of Macon was playing on Peachtree at The Electric Ballroom. Tommy Talton and Scott Boyer were the key members and wrote "Please be with Me" with Duane on Dobro.  They also played on Laid Back. We got a front table, had dinner and drinks ( legal at 18 back then), and enjoyed the show. After a few songs, they introduced "some friends" and the Allman Brothers took the stage, minus Dickie. What happened for the next 3 plus hours was unbelievable. At one point, they were jamming to You Don't Love Me  and at a somewhat similar pause as in Fillmore, my buddy yelled "play all night" which got a look and a laugh from Gregg. Many years later, I saw him in Nashville for a book signing. He was just a shadow but remained gracious and despite a sign that said no personalized messages, he did for me when I brought up that story.

Yeah, all these deaths strike home and keep reminding me we are all here for a very short time.

I was in college in Atlanta in 1970's. One night, we heard that Cowboy, a group out of Macon was playing on Peachtree at The Electric Ballroom. Tommy Talton and Scott Boyer were the key members and wrote "Please be with Me" with Duane on Dobro.  They also played on Laid Back. We got a front table, had dinner and drinks ( legal at 18 back then), and enjoyed the show. After a few songs, they introduced "some friends" and the Allman Brothers took the stage, minus Dickie. What happened for the next 3 plus hours was unbelievable. At one point, they were jamming to You Don't Love Me  and at a somewhat similar pause as in Fillmore, my buddy yelled "play all night" which got a look and a laugh from Gregg. Many years later, I saw him in Nashville for a book signing. He was just a shadow but remained gracious and despite a sign that said no personalized messages, he did for me when I brought up that story.

Yeah, all these deaths strike home and keep reminding me we are all here for a very short time.

Not enough time for all the music!

Thanks for telling that story, I have never really heard any of his solo albums. I have read about them - but never listened to any of them.

I have to post this again. If you don't care for long songs or songs with instrumental passages - skip to @10:20 or so.

Desdemona - Allman Brothers Band

Heard Desdamona a few years before it came out. Definitely a classic. FWIW, Dickey's first few solo albums are pretty good. Gregg's were more soul and more produced. His last one was a nice blues record.

Gregg's singing at the end of that live take is simply amazing.

I know about them - never really heard them though. That is the nice thing about YT. You can just go there and listen to such things.

Listening to the SUNY 71 show --- that Blue Sky is definitely something. It's great to hear Duane speaking after the tune ---- of course it goes into Stormy Monday -- which should be the theme song for the band. 

Had my family over today - they were all cool with the Allman Brothers Band theme.