The Allman Brothers Band

Listening to the SUNY 71 show --- that Blue Sky is definitely something. It's great to hear Duane speaking after the tune ---- of course it goes into Stormy Monday -- which should be the theme song for the band.

Had my family over today - they were all cool with the Allman Brothers Band theme.

I think blue sky was only played live a few times with Duane. Only version I ever heard. Love it

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

I saw the Allman Bros a few times in the late 80s/early 90s. I recall their 1989 show at Poplar Creek was really good. When the first few notes of Whipping Post rumbled out, the place went ape shit.

Was listening to a Duane era Whipping Post the other day, think it was from the Fillmore East box set. Amazing playing. Heard a tease of Hot Lanta, Liz Reed, probably some other tunes in there. The ending of the song was a solid 5 minutes, like a whole other suite of music. Just amazing, no one could end a song like the Allmans.

no one could end a song like the Allmans.

Indeed. They were the best ever at that.

I was reading an interview with Devon this morning. I have been through what he has been through. I can't imagine someone calling me up and asking me to talk about it. Fame is a funny thing. I generally do not pay any mind to the offspring of rock stars. But I saw this video of Devon doing Midnight Rider from 2009. He seemed to be pretty good at what he was doing. 

Whoever is writing the articles about Gregg's death needs to do some research. He keeps referring to Gregg as "Ramblin' Man".

I wonder if this will be some shows that Bear taped:

Also on the near-term docket is a package featuring multiple shows by the original Allmans lineup at the Fillmore West in San Francisco.
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice interview with Derek:

Derek Trucks Reflects on Gregg Allman. . .

Has anybody reached out to you to say, "We're going to put the Allmans back together in some form"?

I've heard rumors about a show or something. If it's a show for Gregg and his legacy, that's a different thing. If it's anything beyond a show, I would think the intention would be wrong. You can't have the Allman Brothers without Butch Trucks and Gregg Allman. Those are just irreplaceable spirits. And you can't have an Allman Brothers gig without an Allman brother. I've heard people try to argue that you can, but I'm not buying it. If Duane's not there, Gregg certainly better be there. There are a few bands out there right now that are using names that maybe shouldn't be. That's another discussion.

How would you describe Gregg's legacy?
I don't think there's a singer, especially in the South, that's not directly influenced by him. Some of those songs, man – you try to find a contemporary of his where the music is comparable, and most of it just doesn't hold up. You stack a few of those tunes, whether it's "Please Call Home" or "Dreams" or "Ain't Wasting Time No More." That's about as good as it gets.

I've heard all these tributes to Gregg, and people singing "Midnight Rider" and some of these other tunes, but every time I hear it, I'm like, "Yep, next!" I appreciate the sentiment, but you just can't top that shit. They really don't make that version of human beings very often any more. 

Man, that was a good interview. Glad he mentioned Dickey and Jaimoe. Trucks and Haynes definitely has been through a lot over the past few months with Butch/Gregg/Hampton.

I wonder who he is talking about about the whole "There are a few bands out there right now that are using names that maybe shouldn't be. That's another discussion" bit?    I also wonder why people care about such things.

(damn page break -- Derek Trucks interview)

Man, that was a good interview. Glad he mentioned Dickey and Jaimoe. Trucks and Haynes definitely has been through a lot over the past few months with Butch/Gregg/Hampton.

I wonder who he is talking about about the whole "There are a few bands out there right now that are using names that maybe shouldn't be. That's another discussion" bit?    I also wonder why people care about such things.

(damn page break -- Derek Trucks interview)

The Doobie Brothers?

I guess he is talking about bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc ----- for some reason bands like Dead & Company came to mind, which I don't think what was he was talking about - in hindsight.

With the Doors situation - if I thought about it, i suppose I would have stood with Densmore.

Ha - i go over to the hoffman board and the 2nd topic is "Lynyrd Skynyrd. How they destroyed their legacy."

Edited by calvino

Here is a bunch that are basically tribute acts:

Skynyrd

Blackfoot

Kansas

Foreigner

Yes (2 going around now)

Eagles (guess they are doing a few shows)

Dead & Co. 

Chicago

Pretty much 90% of the "classic rock" bands still touring

I remember when there was like 4 acts going around saying they were the platters

I wonder who he is talking about about the whole "There are a few bands out there right now that are using names that maybe shouldn't be. That's another discussion"

My guess is Skynryd.  Its in the Southern rock genre and they have one original member, one of the three main guitarists.  And I think part of his point is that there should never again be a band calling itself The Allman Brothers Band now that Greg is gone.  I agree with him.

In my opinion, there is no Boston without the great and mighty voice of Brad Delp.  That is probably not even on Derek's radar but I think his statement applies to the current touring band calling itself Boston.

I doubt he's talking about Dead and Co or versions of the Dead without Garcia, but its possible he is. Three original members and one of them is one of the two lead vocalists and main songwriters.  And, as others noted, they also aren't calling it the Grateful Dead, so that also does not really fit Derek's statement.

Chicago still has one of the three original lead vocalists and all three of the original horn section, which has always been a defining part of their sound.  I'm OK with that band calling itself Chicago.

Speaking of a ABB show without an Allman - now listening to the last night of the 2012 Beacon run, that Gregg missed due to health issues. Bruce Katz is on the keys. One of the few live release that I bought from this run - the other was the show with Nels. This show was definitely well played. I can't remember if they offered people their money back or not. 

Speaking of a ABB show without an Allman - now listening to the last night of the 2012 Beacon run, that Gregg missed due to health issues. Bruce Katz is on the keys. One of the few live release that I bought from this run - the other was the show with Nels. This show was definitely well played. I can't remember if they offered people their money back or not. 

There were a few Allmans shows without Gregg those last few years. Musically they looked pretty cool if you're into the more jammed out stuff and special guests. Would be a bummer if you made the trip to the Beacon for a show or two and he was gone though. Butch missed a few shows towards the end as well, but I don't think that was much of an issue.

I saw a show where Jaimoe was sidelined with a back problem.  I forget who sat in for him.

Is there any member of the ABB that never missed a show during their tenure?

We know Gregg, Dickie, Butch, and Jaimoe all missed shows.