The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

I saw a show where Jaimoe was sidelined with a back problem.  I forget who sat in for him.

Is there any member of the ABB that never missed a show during their tenure?

We know Gregg, Dickie, Butch, and Jaimoe all missed shows.

I can't speak for the Leavell/Williams era, or the Toler era Allmans, don't think Warren, Derek, Herring, Oteil, Woody, Pearson, or Quiones ever missed a show. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

NIce interview with Devon Allman - Gregg's kid.

http://artsatl.com/devon-allman-talks-grief-memories-late-fathers-southern-blood/

I have listened to Gregg's last solo record and I think it is pretty good. I have not been much of fan of his solo output. Also watched All My Friends: Celebrating the Songs & Voice of Gregg Allman - typically I do not enjoy these type of releases, but this one was pretty good, also --- much, much better than the Dear Jerry: Celebrating The Music Of Jerry Garcia.

Gregg's last album is worth a listen. Maybe a bit too jamband sounding with the percussion, over produced. But some pretty deep cuts too relevant to the end of his life.

Agreed with production - Don Was can't even mildly under-produce anything - I was a bit afraid when I saw that he was involved, but by 'Was-Standard' - I thought its sounded okay.

• 1 month later...

Here's a link to a recently published article on Dickey Betts. Has some interesting points. It would be nice to see him guest on Warren or Derrick's stage sometime but if it didn't happen at the ABB goodby shows then, I.guess it never will.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/dickey-betts-lost-allman-brother-150027748.html

• 3 weeks later...

If Dickey is sober and has a good band I'd go. So chances are I won't. Last time I saw him was rough/sad.

I recall reading on one of his last tours his son was playing most of the solos. I think Duane is doing something with Devon - so I wonder if he will be involved. 

I saw him at culture room maybe 4-5 years ago. Great show and he could still play. 2 sets with some long jams. In fact think ended set 1 with Jessica and started set 2 with sane song. Maybe my memory is off a bit.

Just checked it was 2009. Time flies

Yeah - never saw a solo Betts show -- if he passes through Chicago - I may catch it. It has been a long, long while since I seen him play.

Same here, saw him with ABB ( Just once ) a long time ago .. 98 I think ..

Also would check him out if he passes through Boston.

Read something about arthritis bothers him, but until last year he was playing local places in FLA where he lives.

Same here, saw him with ABB ( Just once ) a long time ago .. 98 I think ..

Also would check him out if he passes through Boston.

Read something about arthritis bothers him, but until last year he was playing local places in FLA where he lives.

Had to look - 99 for me - the only time I ventured down to Deer Creek, Indiana to catch a show. It was a good one - Dreams was a stand out. When I saw them the next summer, Herring had already replaced Betts.

1. True Gravity 2. Ain't Wastin' Time No More 3. You Don't Love Me 4. Good Times (Don't Fade Away) 5. Southbound 6. Midnight Rider 7. Good Clean Fun 8. Blue Sky   Set II:   Acoustic: 9. Seven Turns 10. Melissa   Electric: 11. J.J.'s Alley 12. Dreams 13. Trouble No More 14. End Of The Line 15. Back Where It All Begins 16. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed   Encore: 17. No One To Run With    

Had to look - 99 for me - the only time I ventured down to Deer Creek, Indiana to catch a show. It was a good one - Dreams was a stand out. When I saw them the next summer, Herring had already replaced Betts.

1. True Gravity 2. Ain't Wastin' Time No More 3. You Don't Love Me 4. Good Times (Don't Fade Away) 5. Southbound 6. Midnight Rider 7. Good Clean Fun 8. Blue Sky Set II: Acoustic: 9. Seven Turns 10. Melissa Electric: 11. J.J.'s Alley 12. Dreams 13. Trouble No More 14. End Of The Line 15. Back Where It All Begins 16. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed Encore: 17. No One To Run With

Thanks for posting the setlist

Noticed more Gregg songs than the later years of tours.

Still miss Gregg, and know I always will miss seeing the ABB. So glad in retrospect that I went more that 20 times.

Found this article that a few might have read, has some stories in it I had never read.. Old Before My Time..

https://www.relix.com/articles/detail/old_before_my_time_a_conversation_with_gregg_allman

• 2 weeks later...

As a salute to the Allman Brothers Band

Government Mule did Wish You Were Here - Encore 12 /30 / 17

Tip if you don't want to hear the guitar lead in of 2:20

Then FF to 6:29

I like the Little Martha intro, not sure why an Allmans fan would want to skip that. The audience sing-along at the end is nice too.

Checked out the below from my library -- nice book. Narrative was a bit lacking. Kirk didn't hold back though. He had few shots of members of the Crowes jamming in the studio with members of ABB - he didn't have nice things to say about the sessions - music wise. He also wrote that George Thorogood can't jam. Apparently Zakk Wylde was they only guitarist who could fly out to the show on such short notice and that it was horrible.

Some of the cooler pictures are after from after hour jams at various clubs after show or on a off day. 

51rAnucAQQL._SY375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg