• 7 months later...
  • Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

More sad news about Betts -- hopefully he pulls through ok.

https://jambands.com/news/2018/09/19/dickey-betts-critical-head-injury/

Guitarist Dickey Betts suffered a head injury caused by a “freak accident” at his Florida home on Monday night, when the Allman Brothers Band co-founder slipped in his backyard and hit his head, causing bleeding around his brain, the Sarasota Herald-Tribute reports.

Betts is currently at a local hospital with his wife, Donna, and the Herald-Tribute relays a statement from the musician’s longtime manager David Spero, who says Betts is in “critical but stable condition.” Brain surgery is scheduled for this Friday to relieve swelling from the injury.

Read more: https://jambands.com/news/2018/09/19/dickey-betts-critical-head-injury/#ixzz5Rf17BaRb

• 2 months later...

Looks like Betts is recovering nicely.

Looking forward to the Rather interview - I thought Rather's interview with Gregg was great.

From Relix

After suffering from a mild stroke and surviving an unexpected head injury, Dickey Betts is ready to bounce back and celebrate his 75th birthday.

The Allman Brothers Band co-founder recently told his local newspaper – the Sarasota Herald-Tribune – that he will celebrate his birthday on Dec. 12, “surrounded by loved ones” at his Florida home.

“Happy 75th, Dad, and many more to come. I am so grateful your recovery is going smoothly,” Betts’ son Duane Betts told his father via the newspaper. (The younger Betts is currently working on an album with fellow ABB offspring Devon Allman under the name The Allman Betts Band.)

Dickey Betts will also be featured on an upcoming episode of The Big Interview with Dan Rather, airing on Dec. 18 at 9 p.m. on AXS.

“Over the many years that Dickey and I have worked together, he has become less of a client, and more of a very dear, and treasured friend,” Betts’ longtime manager David Spero told the Herald-Tribune. “It’s only proper that, just after his 75th birthday, Dan Rather is giving him the ‘star’ treatment that he richly deserves, and desperately hides from.

Read more: https://jambands.com/news/2018/12/06/dickey-betts-will-celebrate-recovery-with-75th-birthday-party/#ixzz5Z1cC3nGb
  • 2 weeks later...

Rather did a nice interview with Dickey -- it seemed like Dickey's main beef was with Butch --- he didn't really want to get in too deep into his firing from the band, since Gregg and Butch has passed away. 

Betts copped to having a temper and such and I wish Rather would have asked Dickey about Warren and Woody. Besides the firing, Rather didn't touch on their 89 and beyond reunion, which was a bit disappointing. 

Rather did a nice interview with Dickey -- it seemed like Dickey's main beef was with Butch --- he didn't really want to get in too deep into his firing from the band, since Gregg and Butch has passed away. 

Betts copped to having a temper and such and I wish Rather would have asked Dickey about Warren and Woody. Besides the firing, Rather didn't touch on their 89 and beyond reunion, which was a bit disappointing. 

I watched the first half.  Was this taped before or after Dickie's recent stroke?

To add a bit to the Butch/Dickie feud (if there was one), Butch talked about this on his blog.  He says it was because Dickie's playing went down the tubes.  He says Dickie disputed this, but Butch told him all he had to do was "listen to the tapes", referring to the Peakin' at the Beacon release.  I don't know if I've ever heard that one, but apparently they felt Dickie was sucking at that time and that CD is a good example.

Very disappointed Rather didn't go into the '89 reunion and the years following, as that was when I used to go see them.  I never saw them without Dickie.  All the times I saw them were incredible.

Yes -- it was taped over the summer and prior to the stroke. Betts mentioned his high blood pressure in the interview, but said otherwise he was healthy --- it's sad that the high blood pressure more than likely caused the stroke.

I can't remember when Butch's streaming (Moogis or something) was being developed. It seemed that someone ( it seemed that Dickey was implying it was someone other than Gregg) in the band wanted the entire band to get behind a business endeavor and Betts was not too keen on spending the band's money on it. This was a big reason why he was fired according to him. 

From all I can gather it was a culmination of things with Betts that lead to his firing. His playing was a factor, but also ongoing conflict with band members and continuing substance abuse. He actually got into a fight with Allen Woody, which apparently shocked all the other band members given Woody's easy going nature. This lead to Woody and Warren leaving the band to focus on Mule full time, with Warren eventually returning after Woody's passing. 

It's hard to imagine being in a band and having long-term relationships with 3 people as crazy and set in their ways as Dickey, Butch, and Gregg. Does Jaimoe even talk? That's one laid back dude.

There was also an incident where had a drunken altercation with some police officers.  I think this was what lead to Zakk Wylde filling in for some shows (edit: sure enough, it is,  see link...with insane audio from the show).  Things like that were definitely contributing factors.  It's one thing to not be playing well.  That's something that you can work on pretty easily.  But that combined with legal and business hassles is too much for any band to endure,  It's too bad.  I always liked Dickie, and I love the tunes he brought to the band.

https://www.jambase.com/article/night-zakk-wylde-filled-dickey-betts-allman-brothers-band

Listening to the below via sugar megs - Chuck Leavill's solo on Elizabeth Reed is spectacular.  Betts had nice things to say about Chuck in the Rather interview -- even stating that perhaps Chuck should have gotten a songwriting credit for Jessica - then he retracted the statement, saying the song structure was 'pretty much all there before they went into the studio'.

Allman Brothers Band
Municipal Auditorium, 
Mobile, Al
03-15-73
Soundboard

Set 1
~~~~~ Wasted Words
d1t01 /Done Somebody Wrong 2:28
d1t02 One Way Out 9:09
d1t03 Stormy Monday 9:24
d1t04 Midnight Rider 4:07
d1t05 In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed 21:22
Set 2
d1t06 ...Statesboro Blues/ 0:52
d1t07 Ramblin' Man 7:49
d1t08 Come And Go Blues 6:11
d1t09 Trouble No More/ 3:38
d1t10 /Jessica 6:33
d1t11 You Don't Love Me > 8:09
d2t01 Jam > 2:22
d2t02 Les Brers In A Minor/> 12:39
d2t03 /Drums/> 19:40
d2t04 /Les Brers In A Minor 9:42
Encore:
d2t05 Whipping Post/ 5:55

There was also an incident where had a drunken altercation with some police officers. I think this was what lead to Zakk Wylde filling in for some shows (edit: sure enough, it is, see link...with insane audio from the show). Things like that were definitely contributing factors. It's one thing to not be playing well. That's something that you can work on pretty easily. But that combined with legal and business hassles is too much for any band to endure, It's too bad. I always liked Dickie, and I love the tunes he brought to the band.

https://www.jambase.com/article/night-zakk-wylde-filled-dickey-betts-allman-brothers-band

I was at that Zak Wylde show at a Great Woods and I was pissed. Dickey had gotten arrested or something after the previous show in Albany. They should have cancelled the Great Woods show. Zak was so out of place, with his bullseye guitar and strange prancing heavy metal act. I felt so ripped off I boycotted the band for several years.

I was surprised Rather didn’t ask him about his alcohol abuse and feuding with band members. I always thought that’s what got him kicked out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those who have a Blu-Ray system --- Amazon has the The 1971 Filmore East Recordings (3 Blu-Ray discs) on sale for $16.92 - a great, nice sounding set. 

Dumb question...this is just audio, right?

I'm still hoping for some pro quality video from this era (or Chuck Leavell era) to materialize.

I don't know if it's been discussed here (and I'm too lazy to go back and look haha) but AXS-TV just aired a really nice 2 hour doc on the ABB called "After The Crash" - a great overview of their career up to the Beacon run in 2014. I highly recommend it.

It actually is a pretty decent doc. - some of the old management/roadies are in it. Some pretty cool footage, too. Worth watching - I checked out the DVD from the library a while ago.

Watched a bit of it last night on AXS - the bit about Gregg 'ratting' out Scooter -- crazy, sad fucked-up time in the band's history.

It actually is a pretty decent doc. - some of the old management/roadies are in it. Some pretty cool footage, too. Worth watching - I checked out the DVD from the library a while ago.

Watched a bit of it last night on AXS - the bit about Gregg 'ratting' out Scooter -- crazy, sad fucked-up time in the band's history.

There is a whole bunch of stuff about that time period in that book Midnight Riders (Scott Freeman) which I bought many years ago.  I'd still like to see that documentary Please Call Home: The Big House Years. But it is 25 bucks. I don't want to buy it - I just want to see it.