• 8 months later...
  • Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Allman Brothers won't be playing the Beacon this year.

They will be playing at United Palace Theater in Washington Heights. I guess it was fitting that they had all the guests last year at the Beacon. Perhaps, they will be back at the Beacon next year.

I thought the below was pretty funny.

from the NY Times link:

The band is also looking into other ways that it could make the Washington Heights neighborhood more familiar to its itinerant followers, who might not have spent much time there. Mr. Allman said he and his colleagues might rent a bar there during the residency that would offer “a safe, safe place to get loaded or talk to the pretty women — do the things that us guys do.”

I recall reading about that a few months ago. I'd like to see them again someday. I read a while back that Dickey has announced he is no longer going to tour.

Yeah, I read the same thing about Dickey. I heard he is just taking a break, which is understandable.

from Betts

"I’m not retiring from playing. I’m sure there will be some great special events that I’ll be at in the future. But for now, I look forward to waking up tomorrow with nothing on my schedule."

I haven't seen the Allman Brothers play since they played with Ratdog here in Chicago a couple of years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing them play at a smaller theater like the Beacon. My only time seeing them at at theater was at the Chicago Theater in 2001. Betts was just ousted the year before or so and during the show one of the dudes in my group kept on going on how much better it would be if Betts was playing. It kind of killed my one time theater experience.

Yeah, I read the same thing about Dickey. I heard he is just taking a break, which is understandable.

from Betts

I haven't seen the Allman Brothers play since they played with Ratdog here in Chicago a couple of years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing them play at a smaller theater like the Beacon. My only time seeing them at at theater was at the Chicago Theater in 2001. Betts was just ousted the year before or so and during the show one of the dudes in my group kept on going on how much better it would be if Betts was playing. It kind of killed my one time theater experience.

I guess those dudes never heard the Peakin' At The Beacon cd.

• 1 month later...

Here's hoping that all is well with all members. Bad ticket sales?

"Hey there sweet family,

Due to an unforeseen family matter, the Allman Brothers Band shows scheduled for March 22-27 in New York City have been cancelled. The shows scheduled for March 11-20 at the United Palace will take place as planned. Refunds are available at point of purchase. The group looks forward to seeing their fans at all their upcoming performances including their Wanee Festival in Florida (April 16 & 17), the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (April 23-25) and at Eric Clapton‚s Crossroads Festival (June 26).

Take care and know that you are loved,"

Last year I saw Taj Mahal and Levon Helm opening night. Dan (husband) saw Eric Clapton. We go separate nights for child care reasons. It's an overnight. He goes with the guys and I go with girlfriends. There's no better self esteem boost for 40 something women than an ABB concert. The ratio of men to women must be 10:1.

Maybe he could stop the flash for a bit, and go back to playing some blues.

Yeah, I was thinking how the flash would play in an Allman Brothers setting. I think he could pull it off, nicely.

Last night's concert at the United Palace Theater was very good musically. Venue was fine except for the $7 8 oz beers. and I guess if you are a guy the long lines at the bathroom might have sucked. No special guests, the sound was OK, improved later on. Very Loud.

I rather like the song Desdemona. I wonder if they ever make another studio album. How does Hot'Lanta sound these days?

3/11/2010

Set 1

Dont Keep Me Wonderin>>

Hot Lanta>>

Statesboro Blues>>

Thats What Love Will Make You Do>>

No One Left To Run With>>

Desdemona>>

Every Hungry Woman>>

And It Stoned Me>>

Kind Of Bird

Set Two:

Melissa>>

Aint No Love>>

Come And Go Blues>>

Rocking Horse>Little Martha Tease> Jam>Rocking Horse

>>Black Hearted Woman>Oteil Jam>JaBuMaOt>>Black Hearted Woman>>

Jessica>Blue Sky Tease>Jessica

Closer:

Preachin' Blues (Warren & Derek)

One Way Out

I did catch the boys on Jimmy Fallon this week. They did Whipping Post. It was a VERY truncated version (maybe 6 minutes), but 6 minutes of the ABB doing Whipping Post>almost any other thing you're likely to see on network TV.

Kind Of Bird (That must be the first time they have played that song, at least since Dickey was in the band).

3/12/2010

Set I

Dont Want You No More>

Its Not My Cross To Bear>>

You Dont Love Me>>

Midnight Rider>>

Who's Been Talking>>

Trouble No More>>

Blind Willie McTell (Bob Dylan)>>

Egypt>>

I Walk On Guilded Splinters>>

Woman Across The River

Set II

Lost Lover Blues w/Susan

Revival

Leave My Blues at Home

Mountain Jam

Smokestack Lightning

Mountain Jam

Southbound

The Allman Brothers Band’s Weekend Rarities

The Allman Brothers Band’s residency at New York’s United Palace Theatre continued over the weekend. Friday night’s performance saw the return of bassist Oteil Burbridge’s original “Egypt” after a three-year absence, as well as the debut of Bob Dylan’s “Blind Willie McTell.” Susan Tedeschi also sat in with the band at the start of its second set for a cover of Bonnie Bramlett’s “Comin’ Home” and “Lost Lover Blues.” The singer/guitarist returned at the end of the night for a set-closing “Southbound.”

Likewise, Saturday night’s performance at the United Palace Theatre featured a mix of rarer songs and extended family members. The ensemble busted out a cover of the Rolling Stones’ “Heart of Stone” for the first time since 2003 and threw an extended jam based around “Blue Sky” into Duane Allman’s “Little Martha.” Gregg Allman & Friends keyboardist Bruce Katz, who toured as backing member of the group last fall after Allman hurt his back, also sat in on “The Sky Is Crying” and “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.” In addition, the Allman Brothers Band debuted a new instrumental during its first set.

A bunch of Youtube videos

Allman Brothers HD - Hot'Lanta - 3/11/10 - United Palace Theater, NYC HD

I sure wish they would allow online tape trading (torrents).