The Allman Brothers Band

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

Really have not heard much by Marshall Tucker either (other than the usual radio suspects) despite being called Marshall Tucker by people all my life (same first name and all).

I've never intentionally listened to them. The guitarist from the current lineup of the MTB was in a band from my area. My band and his were arch rivals, naturally, being teenagers and all. We shared a bill once at a local high school dance. They thought we sucked, and we felt likewise. Ah, stupid youth. Anyway, for that reason, I've been meaning to check out some Marshall Tucker.

Atlanta Pop was professionally recorded. It's the playing that I feel is ragged. Maybe loose is a better word to use.

I just noticed that you posted this link in the beginning of the thread. I always thought this release was great. I guess they were not playing in the best conditions (weather wise), perhaps that may have attributed to the loose/ragged feel to the playing.

I just noticed that you posted this link in the beginning of the thread. I always thought this release was great. I guess they were not playing in the best conditions (weather wise), perhaps that may have attributed to the loose/ragged feel to the playing.

It is loose, that's for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

ABB Cuts Ribbon, Derek Trucks Breaks Leg

Published: 2010/04/26

On Friday night the Allman Brothers Band returned to its former home base of Macon, Georgia for its first performance in two decades. Guitarist Derek Trucks remained seated throughout the show after breaking his leg in a basketball game on Thursday. Guitarist Tommy Talton, who was the ABB’s Capricorn label mate with his group Cowboy and later recorded and toured with Gregg Allman, appeared late in the second set for a version of “All My Friends” (which appears on Allman’s Laid Back album). Then Jack Pearson, who gigged with Brothers for a stretch during the late 90s joined in for “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.” This was followed by a set-closing “One Way Out” with Talton back on stage along with Berry Oakley Jr. All three of the guests then appeared with the ABB for the “Southbound” encore. Earlier in the day, saw the group cut the ribbon at the official opening of the Allman Brothers Museum at the Big House.

I would like to go there some day. That reminds me, I still need to get that dvd.

• 1 month later...

Gregg Allman Has Liver Transplant

Yikes. If ever one would need a wake-up call to get your shit straight I would think a liver transplant would be time to re-evaluate. If Phil and The Cros can survive then Gregg can do it, too.

Gregg Allman Has Liver Transplant

As a result they will not be appearing at the Crossroads Fest here in Chicago this weekend.

Let this be a lesson to you youngsters....

LouieB

• 1 month later...

I guess Greg must be doing good. I read on Jambands.com the other day that Gov't Mule is not going to tour next year. Maybe Warren will get a rest.

Allman Brothers Band Adds Two Shows

As we previously reported, the Allman Brothers Band will return to the road in November. In addition to the three previously announced Boston dates, the group has added two more shows to its tour itinerary. On Thursday, November 11 the group will appear at the Tower Theater, just outside Philadelphia. Then on Saturday November 13 it will perform in Atlantic City at the Trump Taj Mahal’s Etess Arena. At present, there are no confirmed shows between the 13th and the ABB’s first Boston date on November 18th, so some additional gigs may well be added during that time frame.

The Allman Brothers Band’s Confirmed Fall Shows

November 11 Upper Darby, PA Tower Theater

November 13 Atlantic City, NJ Etess Arena, Trump Taj Mahal

November 18 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre

November 19 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre

November 20 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Allman Brothers Band Concert

Fillmore East (New York, NY) 02/14/1970

Recorded in 1970, a full year before the At Fillmore East performances, this set captures the Allman Brothers Band young and hungry in the role of an opening act, compressing as many creative sparks as possible into their allotted hour of stage time. As a bonus feature, watch exclusive video of the Allman Brothers Band live at the Fillmore East from September, 1970. Duane Allman would have turned 64 this weekend if he were still with us; we're honored to have the opportunity to help his music live on through recordings like these.

The quality of the video above greatly surpasses the clips I have seen on Youtube. It would be nice if they would put out a DVD.

That is the same show that is on the cd The Allman Brothers Band: Fillmore East 2/70.

Boston 11/18/2010 set list:

1. Revival

2. I Walk On Gilded Splinters

3. Come and Go Blues

4. Rocking Horse

5. All My Friends

6. Anyday

7. Black Hearted Woman

Set II

8. Melissa

9. Comin' Home

10. Leave My Blues at Home

11. Stormy Monday

12. Woman Across The River

13. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

-> drums & bass solo -> Elizabeth Reed

Encore

14. Preachin' Blues

15. Trouble No More

• 2 months later...

Private Sessions: Gregg Allman - Creation of the Allman Brothers

I've never seen this show. I guess it is on A&E on Sunday mornings.

It's a pretty decent show, the interviewer (though kinda hot) is not the best. I didn't catch the episode with Allman.

I did listen to one of Greg's solo shows a few weeks back (on XM) - it sounded pretty damn good, esp. the horns.

I wonder why he chose to play Whipping Post? I've noticed he often he re-records Allman Brothers Band songs on his solo albums. I guess this new one has been given the T. Bone treatment.

I don't think I have any of his solo albums.

I wonder why he chose to play Whipping Post? I've noticed he often he re-records Allman Brothers Band songs on his solo albums. I guess this new one has been given the T. Bone treatment.

I don't think I have any of his solo albums.

Whipping Post definitely sounded different in the show I heard - it wasn't bad, though. I think that song lends itself to some rearranging every once in a while.

I also don't have any of his solo stuff. Friends of mine always catch his solo band shows over years when he comes to Chicago, I haven't though.

They were (maybe still are) streaming the new Gregg Solo album on NPR and I just was not impressed. It's not that it was bad but it just kind of felt no different from Rod Steward doing his songbook stuff, except this case they are old blues standards. I guess I just didn't see him really adding anything new to the songs that you couldn't get from the originals. Even his voice didn't really sound as bluesy as in the past to me. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, I think it's getting decent reviews.

Whipping Post definitely sounded different in the show I heard - it wasn't bad, though. I think that song lends itself to some rearranging every once in a while.

I also don't have any of his solo stuff. Friends of mine always catch his solo band shows over years when he comes to Chicago, I haven't though.

I think that song is the same as Stairway To Heaven, or Freebird, I've heard it too many times.

I've read about the new album, and noticed it was pretty much just a covers album.

• 1 month later...

Bob Lefsetz bugs me sometimes, but here is a pretty decent blog post of his regarding the Fillmore album and a recent Beacon show.

Hopefully the Allman Brothers Band comes through Chicago this year. Haven't seen them in a couple of years.

I haven't been following the setlists for the Beacon Run. Just noticed the setlist for the 17th. Looks like fun show.

FIRST SET

You Don’t Love Me

Midnight Rider

Who to Believe

Woman Across The River

Old Before My Time

River’s Gonna Rise

Kind of Bird

Down Along he Cove (w/ Donald Fagen)

Shakedown Street (w/ Donald Fagen and Lincoln Schleifer)

SECOND SET

Ain’t Wastin’ Time No More

Statesborro Blues

Desdemona

Born Under a Bad Sign (w/ Brad Whitford. Chad Smith, Bobby Allende)

Same Thing (w/ Brad Whitford. Chad Smith, Bobby Allende)

Nobody Left to Run With > Drums > NLTRW

ENCORE:

Southbound (W/ Leo Nocentelli, Brad Whitford,Lincoln Schleifer)

Edited by calvino

I've been scratching my head over some of those cover songs they are doing. I mean, I know they have always done old blues songs - but Manic Depression? Seems odd to me. I sure as hell hope they don't start putting out albums of cover songs. There was an interview on Jambands the other day with Butch. I did not bother to post it, as he seemed to spend a lot of time jabbing at Dickey - nothing new there.