The Allman Brothers Band

Just read that Jambase interview, Trucks sure did get slammed in the comments. I guess I don't see the point either, bringing Dickey up again. He's been out of the band for a pretty long time.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP Dickie Betts

Yeah -- made 80. Good on 'em. That last decade has not been great for him - health wise.    Was such a great, great player with a beautiful tone. Songwriting skills were there, too.

Posted Images

I was at that Beacon show where they played Live at the Fillmore East. It was very, very good, Bob Lefsetz nailed it exactly. You'd be surprised at Manic Depression. My beef though is the $100+ tickets, $18 mixed drinks (!), paying for Moogis, etc. I'm calling the Beacon shows the ABB Retirement Plan.

Oddly, one of my neighbor's is in Max Creek and he says that everything you hear about Dickey Betts is true. The guy's a world class dick.

Bob Lefsetz bugs me sometimes, but here is a pretty decent blog post of his regarding the Fillmore album and a recent Beacon show.

Hopefully the Allman Brothers Band comes through Chicago this year. Haven't seen them in a couple of years.

I haven't been following the setlists for the Beacon Run. Just noticed the setlist for the 17th. Looks like fun show.

It's 'No One To Run With' sorry, i just can't think about gregg singing 'nobody left to run with anymore'. :ninja

I was at that Beacon show where they played Live at the Fillmore East. It was very, very good, Bob Lefsetz nailed it exactly. You'd be surprised at Manic Depression. My beef though is the $100+ tickets, $18 mixed drinks (!), paying for Moogis, etc. I'm calling the Beacon shows the ABB Retirement Plan.

Oddly, one of my neighbor's is in Max Creek and he says that everything you hear about Dickey Betts is true. The guy's a world class dick.

I think it is mainly due to his drinking problem.

It's funny - when he left, or was fired, he talked a lot about having a big problem with Butch. I guess they did invite him to the anniversary shows, but he did not show up.

I may check it out - but Hendrix just seems like an odd fit for them. They should have done Red House or something instead.

It's 'No One To Run With' sorry, i just can't think about gregg singing 'nobody left to run with anymore'. :ninja

I think Dickey wrote that song, so it is odd that they would do it.

I went to 3 nights actually, the 10th, 11th, and 12th. The 12th was the night they did Fillmore East, but I thought the 11th was the better night, if someone is downloading shows. "Why does Love Got to be So Sad" was a real kicker. Derek Trucks is just getting better and better.

1. Don't Want You No More >

2. It's Not My Cross To Bear

3. Ain't Wastin' Time No More

4. River's Gonna Rise

5. Stand Back

6. Desdemona

with Randall Bramblett, sax

7. Key To The Highway

with Devon Allman, guitar; Gabriel Strange, drums

8. Egypt

9. Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?

with Jimmy Vivino, guitar, vocal

Set II

10. Melissa

11. Maydell

12. Manic Depression

13. The Same Thing

with Randall Bramblett, sax

14. Black Hearted Woman

15. Jessica

Set II

16. Preachin' Blues

17. One Way Out

Over the weekend I watched footage on On Demand of the ABB from NYC/Beacon last year. Although I've always been a fan, I've never gone out of my way to catch their live shows or keep abreast with current line-ups/tunes. I've never really paid much attention to Derek trucks, either. I was really, rerally impressed with him in these clips. Having Warren and Derek as both lead.rhythm interchangeable parts is a pretty amazing set-up.

They covered a Dave mason tune, as well: "Only You Know and I Know" that Warren sang. I thought it was a perfect cover tune choice as it slinked perfectly along with their vibe. Don't know if that's a fairly common part of their sets but it should be....

Bonnie was actually in the Allman Brothers Band for a time.

I didn't know that, though I am not too familiar with 75-81 era of the Allman Brothers Band. I don't think I ever heard any record or show they put out during that period.

She is on some of those later albums - Enlightened Rogues and Reach for the Sky. She also toured with the band. I've never heard those albums. I've just heard whatever songs from those albums that are on the boxset.

I have all the albums up through, and including Win, Lose or Draw. And then, Seven Turns up through the last one.

She is on some of those later albums - Enlightened Rogues and Reach for the Sky. She also toured with the band. I've never heard those albums. I've just heard whatever songs from those albums that are on the boxset.

I have all the albums up through, and including Win, Lose or Draw. And then, Seven Turns up through the last one.

High Falls is such a great latter day Allman's song. Back Where it All Begins is the best latter, latter day song ;)

• 2 months later...
We have had the honor and privilege of working with Galadrielle Allman over the past couple of months to launch a website tribute to her father at Duane Allman.com. Galadrielle's vision is a respectful, low key but loving spot on the web where fans, friends and family can spend a little time and share a smile or loving thought.

Gregg Allman Comments on Frankie Toler’s Passing

Just read that Jambase interview, Trucks sure did get slammed in the comments. I guess I don't see the point either, bringing Dickey up again. He's been out of the band for a pretty long time.

Do you have a link for that interview? couldn't find it... Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Butch Trucks' Blog

Just noticed this blog.

After a while Duane had pretty much decided on who he wanted for his band. Jaimoe came with him, Berry Oakley was the bass player and Berry convinced Duane that Dickey Betts would add a very cool new twist to things. Damn was Berry right!

He actually wrote a nice thing about Dickey. :yay

Actually so far his blog is more political, which is fine.

Butch Trucks' Blog

Just noticed this blog.

He actually wrote a nice thing about Dickey. :yay

Actually so far his blog is more political, which is fine.

i was scared he was a neocon so i had to check it out. he's not. i don't think. there's some good old internet BS going on over there. boy, what did we do before we surrendered to the darkside and started commenting on blogs:)

anyway, dickey is one of the best. love his tone and his melodic solos. oh so good.

I ran across that a while back. I found it a bit odd that he would do such a thing all of a sudden.

It looks like he had an Atlanta Pop Festival video up there - but had to take it down.

• 4 months later...

^ what'd you think of the show? I've heard a bunch of people say (as said in that thread) that Gregg was playing/singing very poorly and the band seemed a little off

I'm "gmfeld" over there, so you would have seen my commentary. I didn't think the band was off, but Gregg is really struggling and is just not performance worthy at this point. Too many blown lyrics, doesn't know when to come in with the vocals, can't keep up with the tempo when he does remember the lyrics. Not every song, but too many, and it's way too noticeable.