Abstainers make your pledge

im big on this. i will not listen to it, and be first in line at best buy the day of. remember the days where you had to do that to hear a record? i dont, but still.

I do. The records were on big black wax platters and we didn't buy them at best buy. :mellow

But who gives a fuck about nostalgia. I'll be listening to this the first chance I can get.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phrases from this thread that could also function as album titles:

Punishment Worse Than Death

Conditions or Alterations

Okay...............

Pinky Swear

Grubby Paws

Best of Luck

Teen Pregnancy

Gang Bang Situation

Drawn and Quartered

Who Gives A Fuck About Nostalgia

Yeah the whole wait till I can buy a physical copy is definitely made harder by the fact that the band themselves probably couldn't give a rats arse if I had a leak or a stream before the release day. For me it's just about enjoying Wilco on my terms to quote an eminent VC philosopher. I didn't enjoy listening to Sky Blue Sky via the Wilco World stream (it kept cutting out and my headphones were only working in one ear) and I don't bother with the more nefarious methods of obtaining things online, not that I really know what nefarious means or have a problem with other people going that way. But I imagine It's probably just as exciting to be checking those avenues for a trace of the thing till it finally pops up. I just wanna chuck it on the turntable, crank it up and immerse myself in the art work.

I do get a slight sense that the excitement is building around here tho right? And June seems like an eon away

for me, i don't understand why people care if they get their hands on it in june or next week. it's going to be the same music, same songs, same lyrics- whenever you get it. whenever the thing is available, i'll listen to it. "official" release dates are old news. when it's out there, i'll listen. why wait? just for the sake of tradition? it's about the music to me, nothing else. who cares what date i can get it and why would i wait longer to hear something than i have to if its already available to me in some form.

it would be nice if every band started doing what radiohead did and made the thing available for everyone at the same time- the buzz it created was huge, everyone was listening to it all day and talking about the album all day. it was a really cool communal experience. But with leaks and the internet, that doesn't happen with physical copies of album any more.

So I think if you want buzz and get people talking about your album, just put it up on your site for download (free, discounted, pick your price, full price, whatever)- but that way anyone can listen and people start listening at the same time. I'm sure there are tons of record label hoops to jump through to make that happen, but still.... that's my take on what I would like to happen.

Phrases from this thread that could also function as album titles:

Punishment Worse Than Death

Conditions or Alterations

Okay...............

Pinky Swear

Grubby Paws

Best of Luck

Teen Pregnancy

Gang Bang Situation

A Leak or a Stream

Working in One Ear

This will be the X-Rated Wilco album.

im big on this. i will not listen to it, and be first in line at best buy the day of. remember the days where you had to do that to hear a record? i dont, but still.

Remember that crackle when you first put the needle on the record? When you saved and saved for that one album, and when you finally get it, it's a whole ritual -- removing the plastic wrapping, reading the liner notes, looking at the pictures -- and in the best circumstance -- PRINTED LYRICS!!!! And the crackle right before the music starts -- I've got butterflies in my belly just thinking about it.

What I don't miss is being shaken out of the music induced coma to turn the record over.

Is it nostalgia for vinyl or just nostalgia for our youth -- when every record, every sound was new and exciting? Especially when we were treading on a new genre; it was like exploring. I guess now with mortgages, bosses, and knee pain, nothing is as new and exciting as it was when I was 14. Sigh.

Okay, I'll stop now.

I'll be listening to the stream if it happens, but I won't be downloading it. I don't know about you guys, but since technology has come around and ruined things for everyone, it's almost as exciting for me to hear a record I love in high fidelity than it is to just crack it open and listen for the first time. I know that seems lame, but it's true.

The only thing I'm concerned with is the band's feelings on the subject. If they want us to hear it, I'm more than willing to do so. If they don't, well, then I'll chill out for a couple weeks. I've learned to be patient. Try yoga, it's great for that.

Remember that crackle when you first put the needle on the record? When you saved and saved for that one album, and when you finally get it, it's a whole ritual -- removing the plastic wrapping, reading the liner notes, looking at the pictures -- and in the best circumstance -- PRINTED LYRICS!!!! And the crackle right before the music starts -- I've got butterflies in my belly just thinking about it.

What I don't miss is being shaken out of the music induced coma to turn the record over.

Is it nostalgia for vinyl or just nostalgia for our youth -- when every record, every sound was new and exciting? Especially when we were treading on a new genre; it was like exploring. I guess now with mortgages, bosses, and knee pain, nothing is as new and exciting as it was when I was 14. Sigh.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Are you and I the same person?

I'm waiting, aside for inadvertant listening during the 3 Jeff Tweedy/Wilco live situations on my schedule (it feels so good to say that). I haven't decided yet on reading spoilers.

I was an abstainer last time around for SBS, and I was so glad. I even received the preorder and had to wait a few days until I had unintterupted opportunity to listen with 100% attention and the best sound quality available to me at that time.

I don't know. First listens to non-soundboard live recordings on low-bitrate MP3's is sort of like viewing the Grand Canyon from your car with dirty windows. It just isn't how I prefer to hear the newest album by one of my favorite artists. I don't mind too much hearing them live before they're released, but I also would be fine not hearing them, too.

I don't know. First listens to non-soundboard live recordings on low-bitrate MP3's is sort of like viewing the Grand Canyon from your car with dirty windows. It just isn't how I prefer to hear the newest album by one of my favorite artists. I don't mind too much hearing them live before they're released, but I also would be fine not hearing them, too.

I remember being 5 years old and playing and replaying a 45 of "I Saw Her Standing there" on a cheap little record player with a 2-inch speaker and being in heaven.

The quality seeps through whatever format.

That said, I've had more fun looking back at stuff like the demos and different liver incarnations in retrospect than sifting through them for clues before the release.

I'm in. Testing my patience and will power and waiting for the big day, whenever that is! So far my only glimpse into the new material is the couple of songs Jeff played at his solo show in Champaign...trying like hell to keep it that way.

I've been in, for one reason or another. Been exploring other avenues, i.e. A.M. :stunned

Well, not really, but part of it has to do with being slightly underwhelmed by the one song I heard that was webcast at Lolla the previous year. Don't remember what it was or how it sounded at all, and I plan on keeping it that way until it is hear-able in studio perfection.

So far my only glimpse into the new material is the couple of songs Jeff played at his solo show in Champaign...trying like hell to keep it that way.

Ditto, minus what I'll be seeing/hearing at the Pabst.

I love remembering the first time listening to an album, and the denouement of finally seeing the subject of all of the rumor/hype/excitement.

Consider me one of the abstinent.

I remember being 5 years old and playing and replaying a 45 of "I Saw Her Standing there" on a cheap little record player with a 2-inch speaker and being in heaven.

The quality seeps through whatever format.

That said, I've had more fun looking back at stuff like the demos and different liver incarnations in retrospect than sifting through them for clues before the release.

We've come a long way, baby! :dancing

Hey, everybody's got their own way to listen to music these days, and it's all good. Although, I'm pretty glad I don't have that cheap little record player anymore. And don't you even try to take away my Bose noise-reducing headphones, man! Now that's heaven to me! :lol

I just remembered sitting by my computer, alone with a glass of scotch, and clicking on the feed as soon as the site went live, having warned all of my housemates that disturbing me would result in a grievous injury... it stands as one of the best first listening experiences I've ever had, and I'm eager to repeat it.

• 1 month later...