Abstainers make your pledge

Well I haven't even seen Ashes of American Flags yet, gonna pic it up on the weekend. That should sustain me a while. I've only read a few posts in the album discussion thread so tell me. Does anyone hate it? Theres got to be at least one VCer going against the flow.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my Cherry-Ghostish ignorance, but is it considered wrong to listen to the stream they have on the website?

If it's any compensation, I did then pre-order it.

God knows we've purchased enough tix, posters and tchotkes over the years to clear my good name if it's not. Not to mention word-of-mouth, shouting-from-mountaintops and - if that didn't work - twisting-of-arms to the Wilco fold. :cheers

Forgive my Cherry-Ghostish ignorance, but is it considered wrong to listen to the stream they have on the website?

If it's any compensation, I did then pre-order it.

God knows we've purchased enough tix, posters and tchotkes over the years to clear my good name if it's not. Not to mention word-of-mouth, shouting-from-mountaintops and - if that didn't work - twisting-of-arms to the Wilco fold. :cheers

Well according to Wilco (who is sponsoring the stream) it isn't wrong legally. In terms of the pledge, I think you know the answer and the answer is that you would not be abstaining. I like to think of it as harm reduction. Let's avoid downloading, but a little stream here and there will reduce any overt negative risks while still allowing the problem behavior to persist until our motivation improves to complete abstinence.

Thanks for your reply. I abstain from downloading illegally as a general principal, so I'm not really that concerned about this particular "pledge." I just wondered what the particular (peculiar?) etiquette was in WilcoWorld.

So, who are these people who A. manage to get the record before it's released and B. put it up online to be illegally downloaded? Those are the people who need pledges of this sort. I am but a mere though enthusiastic and eager fan. If the HQ has a stream and emails me about it, I'll stream it. I'll also purchase it, and if the band were coming to a town near us we'd buy tix, too. (We've traveled to see them in the past but it's not financially feasible this time around.)

I guess what I'm saying is that though I do suffer from sleeplessness, it's not due to illegal streaming of Wilco (or any other) music. :music

the night of... i did one full listen on good headphones and that's it.

now i wait, knowing that it's an exciting June approaching.

as each day passes I forget more and more about the album...

i know the second song had a cool structure and that one wing was a standout

and i know that i smiled and tapped my feet a lot to "you never know".

and i know that the last song at the end was really cool

can't wait.

I'm gonna fool around with alot of other artists.

Yeah.. that's what I need. The problem is I need new music.. The new Wilco album is the only new thing out right now that is appealing to me... I've already worn out BOH, Pinback, various live Wilco shows, VW, Arbouretem.. I need new music!!

I am so into this and it heartens me to know there are others like me! I take a bit of ribbing for my old-fashioned ways, but there's nothing better than sneaking outta work on a Tuesday morning to hit the record store for a shiny, new album. I remember counting down the days 'til YHF, AGIB and SBS. Rushing into the store and having those records playing on the PA each time. I felt like I was in on a secret! But then I gotta wait a little bit longer so I can listen the first time with my sweetie later that night. We're hitting the road in early July, headed to the beach, and already looking forward to spending some quality time with (the album)!!!

That being said, it's definitely gonna be harder this time...

That being said, it's definitely gonna be harder this time...

Yeah, it's starting to drive me a little batty. For some reason it wasn't this hard for SBS. Maybe because people keep saying the new record is amazing?? Well, with SBS I gave it a quick sneak listen when it leaked, but I didn't play it again until I left the record store on its release date.

Yeah.. that's what I need. The problem is I need new music.. The new Wilco album is the only new thing out right now that is appealing to me... I've already worn out BOH, Pinback, various live Wilco shows, VW, Arbouretem.. I need new music!!

If you

If you're into his stuff, Bill Callahan's new album is fantastic.

I shall check it out. Thank you sir.

Update: hmm... the music is very cool. I love the strings, the atmospheric sound to it, but I'm not feeling the vocals.. Maybe the song previews don't do it justice.

I shall check it out. Thank you sir.

Update: hmm... the music is very cool. I love the strings, the atmospheric sound to it, but I'm not feeling the vocals.. Maybe the song previews don't do it justice.

Damn, I wish pm

Yeah, it's starting to drive me a little batty. For some reason it wasn't this hard for SBS. Maybe because people keep saying the new record is amazing??

Are they? Are they saying that?!?!? See, I can't bring myself to read anything about it. My one saving grace is that I notoriously never like anything on first listen. Wilco albums and National albums that I look forward to and am eventually obsessed with usually underwhelm me on first listen. So that's kinda helping me at this point.

I

Damn, I wish pm's were enabled – if you're on the fence, I'll upload it this weekend and post the link.

Are they? Are they saying that?!?!? See, I can't bring myself to read anything about it. My one saving grace is that I notoriously never like anything on first listen. Wilco albums and National albums that I look forward to and am eventually obsessed with usually underwhelm me on first listen. So that's kinda helping me at this point.

I

Oh sorry.. Didn't know you haven't seen the comments about it being amazing..

Next time I'll use this..

:lol

Still holding out strong here.... but I don't know if I'll be able to last.

Does everyone think they'll still wait until the album is released to start pumping these tracks out live?

I'm still holding out strong too, but getting weaker every day..

My guess would be they won't play any new tunes until the release.. Then it'll be a Wilco (The Tour) filled with new songs.

For the current tour until June 30th, they're the same great Wilco, playing the favorites and the old gems. But that's just my guess.

I'm still holding out strong too, but getting weaker every day..

My guess would be they won't play any new tunes until the release.. Then it'll be a Wilco (The Tour) filled with new songs.

For the current tour until June 30th, they're the same great Wilco, playing the favorites and the old gems. But that's just my guess.

Actually, this Billboard article says otherwise. New tour begins May 23 in Spain.

Wilco will be featuring new "Wilco (The Album)" material on its summer tour, which begins May 23 in Tenerife, Spain, and hits the U.S. beginning June 12 in Cincinnati. Dates are on tap through Aug. 27 in Dublin.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/wilco-...003969366.story

You see, this is where I am having a conflict with my "abstaining" issue.

I am going to this Cinci show.

So I think I am going to have to cave and listen to the stream before the show, so I know the new songs before I hear them in Cinci. :) Then I will be able to fully realize how amazing the live performance is, which is one of the many things that I love about Wilco -- the live shows.

I'll just consider it as doing my homework! :music

Not really caving out of weakness. Right? RIGHT? :stunned

You see, this is where I am having a conflict with my "abstaining" issue.

I am going to this Cinci show.

So I think I am going to have to cave and listen to the stream before the show, so I know the new songs before I hear them in Cinci. :) Then I will be able to fully realize how amazing the live performance is, which is one of the many things that I love about Wilco -- the live shows.

I'll just consider it as doing my homework! :music

Not really caving out of weakness. Right? RIGHT? :stunned

Or, you could be hearing the new songs in Cinci for the very first time, live... I'm not making this any easier for you am I? :lol

Or, you could be hearing the new songs in Cinci for the very first time, live... I'm not making this any easier for you am I? :lol

That's the way I've always preferred to hear new material, but just my own personal opinion. I don't know if they'll bust all the new album at once when the tour resumes though, there was very little showcased in the small spring tour here in the states. Of course that was before the stream, but I'd still think they'll slowly integrate this album into setlists throughout the summer. I'll be ready to go for Red Rocks a week after the album is released. :dancing