Jeff Tweedy -- 3/28/09

I haven't really figured out what to say about tonight's show yet, so I'm just going to post the setlist for now. I'm sure others will chime in. I think more than a few VCers were in attendance.

Remember the Mountain Bed

New Madrid

Everlasting Everything

Solitaire

Jesus, etc.

Hummingbird

The Ruling Class

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Passenger Side

Wilco the Song

Heavy Metal Drummer

Via Chicago (w/harmonica)

Airline to Heaven

I'm The Man Who Loves You

-------------------------------

Midnight Special (w/Pete Seeger on banjo and Tao Rodriguez-Seeger, grandson of Pete, on guitar and vocals) [traditional; made famous by Leadbelly]

Jacob's Ladder (w/Pete Seeger and Tao Rodriguez-Seeger on guitar and vocals) [traditional; I guess this is what's known as "Pete Seeger's version"]

-------------------------------

Someone Else's Song (played at edge of stage w/o PA system)

Acuff-Rose (played at edge of stage w/o PA system)

I'm not much at writing reviews but this was the 1st time I have seen a Jeff solo show and I had a great time.

His banter was mostly family friendly as this was a benefit show and there were a lot of children in the audience.

Really small venue and I thought the sound was great.

He made some jokes about being invited to play a show at a High School.

Some banter about his Dad, one where he said his Dad showed up to his wedding with a cooler of beer.

Some jokes about people whooping for acoustic music.

Mess up with the Harmonica at the beginning of Via Chicago.

I really enjoyed this a lot more than when I saw Wilco open up for Neil Young, I enjoyed the more intimate setting and his banter.

The encore with Pete was really fun too.

I'm sure someone else can be more detailed than me but I am wiped right now!

So, if anyone saw a pregnant gal in a gray top with her Mom, that was me!

I've seen Wilco about 10 times and have never Jeff do a solo acoustic until tonight. Tremendous because there are song he played that he would never play with the band. The Uncle Tupelo stuff was great to hear and he was in a good mood tonight. Everything sounded great and the new tunes he played sounded good too. Can't wait for the new album.

Great show to end my 3 show trip. Almost went back to my car but ended up going to the bus and getting to meet Jeff and get a picture...such a nice person..easily the highlight of my trip. Met some great people and just had an awesome time. New Madrid and Passenger Side were great. Still think Vermont was the best show of the three though.

it was a funny little show. my 13 year old nephew dubbed it "amazing" but what does he know really? i'd say more cute than amazing, but pure bliss no matter how you slice it. new madrid! pete seeger!

after i spontaneously whooted during acuff-rose (sorry!) i asked my nephew if i embarrassed him. "yeah, but i'm ok with it." ok cool, we can hang.

anyone else take the detour through the correctional facility trying to beat the parking lot let-out?

more flickrs!

so tired. so wonderfully tired.

I will say that I was a little bit surprised that at least one of the songs Jeff and Pete played together wasn't a Woody Guthrie song. Not that I didn't enjoy what they played, especially Midnight Special. And not even saying it had to be a Mermaid Avenue song, necessarily. But given the Seeger/Guthrie connection, this was the closest Jeff will probably ever come to playing with Woody so I guess it's just a little surprising to me that they didn't go that route. Hell, it could have been "This Land Is Your Land" or something and it would probably have been great.

Perhaps, in the end, Jeff simply deferred to what Pete felt comfortable playing. The man is turning 90 this year, after all, and it seemed like he has a tough time carrying a song vocally anymore. He can still pluck a banjo quite excellently, though.

Got to Beacon early on in the day and hit the Museum across town. A really cool exhibit and a way to spend the afternoon. Then we went on to Main St. and hit up Max's on Main. We got their early and had lunch/dinner and quite a few pints. Before we knew it the bar was packed with, I imagine, peeps pre-gaming for the Tweedy show. We had prime real estate at a nice high round table but gave it up for the owner when he asked because other's were waiting and we were just having pints after eating. We were happy to do it and found a spot at the bar. The owner bought us a beer so in a way we were rewarded just for doing the right thing which we would have done anyways. We stuck around for a couple of more - they had long trail which we don't really get down in Brooklyn so I was happy - then we headed to the venue.

Very much a High School and it was cool. Had to have my last smoke before we got it because we learned very early on that there was absolutely no re-entry. Or so we thought. Anyways, we bought a couple of posters and didn't want to bend/ding them so we asked nicely the entry team if we could go throw them in the car - he said only one of us. So they did right by us. We checked out the food/refreshment area in student cafe but it wasn't for us. It was a Saturday night and I was hoping for a beer or two but it was not to be at all. Oh well...into the auditorium we went.

Nice digs for a show. Nice crowd if a bit older - not counting the students - my buddies and I were on what we felt the younger edge of the age group and we're in our low 30s. We sat down and promptly two frat boys come in sit in front of us to the left and start in. A gentleman from Clearwater came out to give a speech and they were heckling and being rude. If you were there I'm sure you heard them. They even heckled Pete Seeger and the kids at one point and we all around them told 'em to can it. They were overserved.

Pete Seeger and the kids were cute. Pete looks great for 90 and is an American icon of folk music. I thought it funny that Jeff has handlers for his guitars and his harmonicas and his shoe tying and here Pete Seeger at 90 is his own roadie. Putting his guitar on the ground, fixing his mic stand, and even tuning his own banjo! You'd think someone would have roadied for him! I would have! Lol!! (this is all tounge in ckeek people as I know they come from two different backrounds.) I thought they went on a little long as we were there for Tweedy. And soon enough Pete was off with no encore.

A decent intermission and I try and see if I can sneak outside to grab a smoke - no chance. Go back to my seat and my buddy and others are getting into it with the two frat boys. Apparently they thought they could just light a smoke in the venue and get away with it. They did not - people were on them right on. They two jerks invited people to go outside if they had anything to say for a rumble. It was sadly funny.

At 9:20 Jeff takes the stage and opens with a nearly flawless Mountain Bed and we know its on. I'm not going to go through the whole setlist but highlights for me was his banter. He was in good form and I thought the audience very polite. People call out songs and I don't get it. He tried to be nice about it and people still didn't get it. He did do Hummingbird as someone shouted it out when he was going to go into something else. Nice banter and he talked very nicely and sweetly about his wife. It was nice to hear. And in addition he really talked about his pops. He was on firing on all cylinders.

After the last song (which really showed off his chops on guitar/ he's really gotten really good), he took a break and brought on Pete Seeger and his grandson and they did two nice songs and Jeff really wasn't sure what to do and strummed along almost sheepishly/shyly with Pete egging him on to sing more. Jeff really didn't sing. Pete's grandson has some good pipes though and helped his old grandpa out a great deal.

Jeff came back on and said we missed Earth Hour and to make up for it he'd play without the PA which is a common occurrence and he carried it off nicely. I thought Someone Else's Song most appropriate as he just did two songs with Pete. Very cool Acuff-Rose and that was it.

Overall for my first Wilco related show - I'm even more addicted to this band and Tweedy. I cannot wait for the next chance to catch up with the whole band. A very cool way to be brought into the fold I guess.

Hope everyone else had a great time - we did!!! I'll post pictures when I upload them.

Drove up from Long Island to see my first Solo Jeff show. After watching the Sunken Treasure DVD about 4 million times is was so great to be in that setting with Jeff. There were so many great moments for me that it's hard to recall it all at this time. Pete Seger just being there made it special. Hummingbird with the cha, cha,cha,cha was hilarious. Playing the wrong key harmonica on the Via Chicago was very funny. He handled it like a real pro. Tossed the wrong key to the side of the stage and grabbed the right one, and continued on. Not how I pictured hearing my first in person live version of it but none the less, very cool and most unforgettable. Thank you Jeff. I saw some taper's out there too. Please post a link when and where the show might be available.

solid show but short

I really wish those kids had started at 7 and jeff a bit earlier

I understand it was a benefit but for that price, we should have 90 minutes of tweedy

Great main set but I felt we got shorted on the encores

oh well you pay your money and take your chances, and it was still great to hear tweedy solo

And I wont be heading back to beacon any time soon

not the prettiest of towns, depressing actually

Nice! Was thinking to look for the bus but I was so tired and my baby was kicking!

Great that you got to meet him!

Where you in row Y on the left side? I saw quite a few people with strollers and pregnant! Rock on!

It was funny he wouldn't play Handshake Drug as being inapproproate then he plays Ruling Class :rolleyes

You're right! He is 90 and it was something to witness. My grandmother is 97 lives by herself and holds her own but this guy is onstage at 90? Blew my mind. It was special - I'm just greedy in that I wanted more Tweedy I guess...

We came up from Texas and had a great time Saturday night. I was a little disappointed that the show was so short considering how much we paid for tickets. Being front row though was incredible. This was my first solo show and I can't wait to see another. My last complaint which may sound weird, but I was very disappointed there was no concert poster. I bought the cheap five dollar one but was wanting something a little nicer to remember my first solo show. I can not wait to hear this show when it goes up.

Mr and Mrs MattZ made the last minute trip up to Beacon.

Some thoughts: seeing Pete Seeger and Jeff onstage was a very very special moment. At one point during the show, Jeff gave the obligatory "I can't believe I am playing after Pete Seeger." But it was genuine. You could tell that it was a treat for him. And for us, too. The guy is 90 yrs old, and as was said earlier, he carries his guitar and banjo himself. He has the energy and love of a man half his age, but he couldn't really carry the vocals. His grandson came up and did the majority of the singing. Jeff was purely in the background.

I agree with bbop that it would have been perfect if they played a Woody song (and I sort of expected it). I guess at this point, when the guy is 90 years old, you do whatever he wants. And I guess he wanted to play a song that "70 years ago, an African American man came up north and taught me how to play. His name was Leadbelly." How do you like THAT for an introduction?

Jeff's set was amusing -- he wouldn't play handshake drugs, but he played Ruling Class, Heavy Metal Drummer. Of course New Madrid, with the NYC reference. He butchered Mountain Bed pretty bad (forgot the lyrics) and had the wrong harmonica for Via Chicago. He covered well on both, as he always does, but those are two pretty emotional songs with awkward delays in the middle.

I too thought the show was a bit short, but then, I also thought maybe I have been spoiled with the winnetka specials two years in a row. The highlight for me was Solitaire. Just a beautiful song.

What can I say? Nothing tops Jeff solo.

To take the lead from the first post, I have figured out what to say about this show:

Jeff was on - both the music and the banter

The set was short

The Seeger encore was touching

This is likely the first, and perhaps the last solo show ever to feature a bake sale.......

Solitaire is staggering

This is likely the first, and perhaps the last solo show ever to feature a bake sale.......

Now keep in mind I've never been to a Wilco show proper and come from a GDead backround but there's no brownies or "goo" balls out in the lots? :stunned

It was a great great show. I did catch Pete leaving the auditorium to go back for the encore. He was sitting a few rows in front of us (we were in row L). Really cool.

I hadn't heard any of the new songs before, so that was a real treat.

Jeff's voice sounded amazing, maybe the best ever in the ten years I've been seeing his solo shows. I just wish we got to hear more of it. The banter was hilarious but it did start to get frustrating that people were spending so much time talking to him and shouting song requests when it was obvious this was going to be a short set. It was the first time I ever felt there might be a downside to Jeff's funniness and the sense of familiarity he creates at his solo shows. It doesn't have to be all intensity all the time, but I like to have at least a few minutes of closing my eyes and losing myself in the song.

Don't mean to be a bellyacher though. Any chance to see Jeff solo is great and it was a fun time and a great cause. Maybe it was just destined to be a silly show - the high school setting, the 4th grade choir with the one girl who could not stop yawning, Pete Seeger looking so adorable, the woman behind me who was singing "roll me under New Mattress" at the top of her lungs and apparently wasn't kidding.

Where you in row Y on the left side? I saw quite a few people with strollers and pregnant! Rock on!

It was funny he wouldn't play Handshake Drug as being inapproproate then he plays Ruling Class :rolleyes

I was in N on the left. There was a couple with a small baby a few rows ahead of me but the baby didn't make a peep the whole time. He was much better behaved than some of the folks I see being described in this thread!

I guess I am just used to this setting as I was raised in the general area and know how these benefits go.

I'm sorry to the person who said Beacon was depressing. It's actually a very nice little Hudson River town and I always enjoy driving up that way hugging the Hudson and just taking in the view.

I don't think the show was silly at all and I found it nice that Jeff was aware of his setting and the presence of so many children.