Pedal Steel Guitars

I just read a book on the making of Blood on the Tracks. Buddy Cage is interviewed and he tells it this way, as well. To some extent he trashes Garcia's playing but also reports that Jerry told the NRPS guys that they needed to get a real player.

Cage also tells a funny story about playing on Blood on the Tracks. I'm paraphrasing here but basically Cage was adding overdubs and Dylan came over and told Cage that he was doing it all wrong. Cage got pissed, played a blistering solo, and stormed out of the room. Dylan then came out laughing and said that getting Cage mad was the only way to get him to play the solo the way Dylan wanted it.

I read that same wonderful book, and was about to reference it before reading your post. The song is "Meet Me In The Morning."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cage told me once that he taught Garcia how to play pedal steel. I kind of smirked as I thought Garcia pre-dated him on it. Do you know anything on this?

I will re-iterate that this claim is completely false. I am a friend of Buddy's and he has sat in with my band many times, and I have never heard him say anything like that before. Besides, I don't think Buddy can remember too far past yesterday as it is!

This is not to toot my own horn, but just to shed light on the best steel player I have ever seen: Bob Miano

Check out the end solo to this song from my first record:

ANYWHERE

http://www.myspace.com/mikejunemusic

The guy is ace.

I will re-iterate that this claim is completely false. I am a friend of Buddy's and he has sat in with my band many times, and I have never heard him say anything like that before. Besides, I don't think Buddy can remember too far past yesterday as it is!

To be clear, I'm not claiming the statement as true, just that it's what he said to me in a conversation. He told me this about 6-7 years ago at Quixote's in Denver playing with Stir Fried. Wonder why he'd say it....

I have heard this before, about Pedal Steel being the worst for some people. It amazes how different us humans can be. For me any half ass song that features a pedal steel becomes worth listening to.

:rock

The thing is, any time you have such an overpowering instrument, it's mostly about the notes you don't play. Any player worth his weight will know when to hold back, or to chuck on tons of effects and give the song atmosphere. I don't want to hear wanking on steel any more than I want to hear it on any other instrument. It has to work in context.

One of my favorite songs with pedal steel on it is "Captain Easychord" off of Stereolab' Sound-Dust. It's just so surprisingly unexpected yet tasteful in their context; granted it's their latter, non-droney period.

David Mead has a song "Indiana" with some pretty awesome steel on it.

"Railroad Man" by Eels does too.

Check out These United States, an up-and-coming band out of DC that uses steel. I'm a little biased since I sit in some times with a band that their steel/multi-instrumentalist sits in with, but man, they've got it going on.

To be clear, I'm not claiming the statement as true, just that it's what he said to me in a conversation. He told me this about 6-7 years ago at Quixote's in Denver playing with Stir Fried. Wonder why he'd say it....

I was just up in NY/NJ a few weeks back to play some shows with my old band and we went to the studio and did some background vocals for the new Johnny Markowski record (he was/is Stir Fried, basically). He is also playing drums with the New Riders of the Purple Sage these days. Small world.

I was just up in NY/NJ a few weeks back to play some shows with my old band and we went to the studio and did some background vocals for the new Johnny Markowski record (he was/is Stir Fried, basically). He is also playing drums with the New Riders of the Purple Sage these days. Small world.

I've hung with Johnny a bunch. Nice guy. He's in town this weekend playing with BRO (Bobby Vega, Popper, CR Gruver, etc.) at buddy's joint. I'm off to the mountains so will miss the shows (started Thurs. night and go to Sun.).

ed. Markowski album?

The thing is, any time you have such an overpowering instrument, it's mostly about the notes you don't play. Any player worth his weight will know when to hold back, or to chuck on tons of effects and give the song atmosphere. I don't want to hear wanking on steel any more than I want to hear it on any other instrument. It has to work in context.

I agree with this 100% and it's why I prefer Bucky Baxter to many other pedal steel musicians. He's toured with Dylan and all that but I really dig his work with Ryan Adams and Steve Earle best, so subtle and mature.

Also I'll definitely check out These United States a few of my friends play shows with them too, appreciate the recommendation.

It's possible they might have crossed paths with Cage for the first time on the Festival Express Tour in Summer 1970.

I'm drawing a blank here - wasn't the steel work on Cucamonga one of the Nitty Gritty folks?

It was on Festival Express. If you've ever seen the movie, there's a cool part with Garcia jamming with Cage.

John McFee (at the time with Huey Lewis' band Clover, later with the Doobie Bros.) played steel on Cucamonga

I'll throw in a vote for David Lindley's playing on Running on Empty. (or is that a lap steel?)

"In '69 I was 21 and I called the road my own"

It is a non-pedal guitar standing on legs (called an "electric ironing board"). I think a Fender double or triple neck guitar.

I just read an interview with Garcia last week. He said he gave up the pedal steel because he wasn't good enough at it, and trying to get good enough was damaging his guitar playing ability, so he chose to devote himself to the guitar.

This is true. Referenced in the book "Garcia" by Blair Jackson in 1999. I was just kidding about his drug habit ;)

For me any half ass song that features a pedal steel becomes worth listening to.

:D

The thing is, any time you have such an overpowering instrument, it's mostly about the notes you don't play.

Amen. People always want me to play more. I always want to play less.

Any player worth his weight will know when to hold back, or to chuck on tons of effects and give the song atmosphere.

There's a cool trick I ripped off from Rusty Young of Poco. Take a pedal steel, run it through a Cry Baby on full blast, and then through a Leslie-type pedal (or a Leslie speaker, if you can stand to carry it around) Sounds just like a Hammond B-3.

• 3 weeks later...
I mentioned lil wallet picture by Buckner so I should mentioned the player who I believe was Eric Heywood (of course he was behind alot of the Son Volt pedal steel)

Lloyd Maines

Eric Heywood

Sneaky Pete

Ben Keith? (is that right Neil Youngs)

Ben Keith - Old Man

What a line-up on that record. :worship

EDIT - banjo thread?

Listened to 'Faithless Street' by Whiskeytown on the bus to work today... God I love that album.

I have no idea how to discern "good" pedal steel from "bad," but it's all over that record and it all sounds great to me.

I mentioned lil wallet picture by Buckner so I should mentioned the player who I believe was Eric Heywood (of course he was behind alot of the Son Volt pedal steel)

Lloyd Maines

Eric Heywood

Sneaky Pete

Ben Keith? (is that right Neil Youngs)

Third page before Eric Heywood gets a nod?

Boy, you guys really do hate Son Volt!