Los Angeles

San Francisco

Arizona

Colorado

San Diego

NL MVP: Albert Pujols, St. Louis

NL Cy Young: Brandon Webb, Arizona

NL Rookie of the Year: Cameron Maybin, Florida

Didn't go with Wieters only becaue he's not breaking camp.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picks:

AL East

Tampa Bay

New York

Boston

Blue Jays

Orioles

AL Central

Cleveland

White Sox

Twins

Kansas City

Detroit

AL West

LA

Oakland

Texas

Seattle

AL MVP: Mark DeRosa - Cleveland

AL CY Young: Cliff Lee - Cleveland

AL Rookie of the Year: Elvis Andrus - Texas

NL East

Philly

New York

Florida

Atlanta

Washington

NL Central

Chicago Cubs

Reds

Milwaukee

Houston

St Louis

Pittsburgh

NL West

Arizona

San Fran

LA

Colorado

San Diego

NL MVP: Milton Bradley - Cubs

NL Cy Young: Carlos Zambrano (finally) - Cubs

NL Rookie of the Year: Cameron Maybin - FLA

Picks:

AL East

Boston

Toronto

NY

TB

Orioles

AL Central

Cleveland

KC

Minn

Chicago

Detroit

AL West

Los Angeles

Oakland

Texas

Seattle

AL MVP: Grady Sizemore, Cleveland

AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia, New York

AL Rookie of the Year: Travis Snider, Toronto

NL East

Philly

Atlanta

Florida

NY

Washington

NL Central

Chicago

Cincinatti

Milwaukee

St Louis

Houston

Pittsburgh

NL West

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Arizona

Colorado

San Diego

Though I hate the Yankees, this makes me wish I'd gotten to the Stadium just once to hear this guy before he retired.

What a great job to have for so long. No wonder he stuck with it well past retirement age.

Though I hate the Yankees, this makes me wish I'd gotten to the Stadium just once to hear this guy before he retired.

What a great job to have for so long. No wonder he stuck with it well past retirement age.

I only saw one game at the Stadium - it was Don Mattingly day, summer of 98 - same weekend that Princess Di died.

Bob Shepperd's voice was so low key - my friend pointed it out to me. I wasn't aware of him or his history. But we always imitated his voice after that day.

Love that voice.

The thing I'm excited about is on virtually any given night, between now and October, I have something to watch. No matter what, more than likely, there will be a game on. Cold beer, baseball, a good dog and I'm a happy man. My favorite time of year.

The thing I'm excited about is on virtually any given night, between now and October, I have something to watch. No matter what, more than likely, there will be a game on. Cold beer, baseball, a good dog and I'm a happy man. My favorite time of year.

So true so true. Also day games on the radio make the work day go by much faster.

Right on. It's my favorite season. My girl said she'll check back with me in Nov.

Norbs, is chris getz the guy you were talking up a few weeks ago? Can the 2009 Chris Getz be the 2008 Alexei Ramirez? ie, can I get him for $1 this weekend and ride him to the championship?

I was actually talking up Gordon Beckham, who won't see the majors till September if Getz and Ramirez are healthy and productive. What stats do you have in your league? I think Getz will be a high average, high OBP, low power guy. He should be hitting #1 or #2 all season if he succeeds--so he should be scoring some runs.

Edit: http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Players/G/Chris-Getz.shtml

Don't be fooled by the 11 HRs last year--the White Sox' AAA affiliate plays in a band box. He won't hit that many this year most likely.

Josh Fields might be an interesting pick from the Sox if you want a cheap 3B. He had lasik surgery and changed his swing and has been raking in Spring. I'm thinking .270 and 30 HRs and 90-100 RBIs possibly. A lot of Ks, though, so don't pick him if somehow that counts against you.

I was actually talking up Gordon Beckham, who won't see the majors till September if Getz and Ramirez are healthy and productive. What stats do you have in your league? I think Getz will be a high average, high OBP, low power guy. He should be hitting #1 or #2 all season if he succeeds--so he should be scoring some runs.

Gotcha. Damn. My league is a straight 5x5 rotisserie keeper league. And it's a league filled with Yankee and Red Sox fans. So lesser known players on teams like the ChiSox often fall through the cracks. No one knew who Alexei was last year. I saved him for the end of the draft when I had $2 left. I nominated him for $1 and sweated out whether someone would outbid me. Man, auction leages rule.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I will keep my eyes open for Beckham later in the season. If I can slot Getz in for cheap, a high average, high runs and decent SBs is perfectly acceptable for me. Certainly at 2b. But it looks like Beckham is a stud and Getz may have a lower ceiling.

Anyone else have $1-$3 guys that they think will outperform? I will add your name to my 2009 trophy if you wish. Everyone knows Matt Wieters. Come on bobbob, I know you are out there. hook me up here.

I am feeling good about the general direction the Orioles are finally going (probably won't see significant results for another year or two) but I am a bit concerned about the team's new Be The Starting Pitcher on Your Birthday! promotion. :unsure

As long as the Indians win the AL Central like they should, I'll be fine.

Wow, everybody does have Cleveland winning the Central. I'm gonna feel bad for yous when they don't. :shifty

Wonderful. :stunned

News: The New York Post reports that the Mets are very close to signing OF Gary Sheffield. The veteran would provide a quality bat off the bench and some insurance for Ryan Church in right field.

Yeah, I honestly don't get the Cleveland love. Can someone explain it to me? I figure it's going to be a lot like last year--there will be a couple of teams in the mid-to-high 80s who will battle for the division till the end. The type of division where it's surprising to see a consistent pick of anybody to win the division.

Yeah, I honestly don't get the Cleveland love. Can someone explain it to me? I figure it's going to be a lot like last year--there will be a couple of teams in the mid-to-high 80s who will battle for the division till the end. The type of division where it's surprising to see a consistent pick of anybody to win the division.

I just had to pick someone. That division is going to be extremely tight.

You can ask the others why they picked Cleveland, but I'm a Cleveland fan so... :stunned

He won't hit that many this year most likely.

Well, Us Cellular is a pretty good park for homers over the years, isn't it?

Gotcha. Damn. My league is a straight 5x5 rotisserie keeper league. And it's a league filled with Yankee and Red Sox fans. So lesser known players on teams like the ChiSox often fall through the cracks. No one knew who Alexei was last year. I saved him for the end of the draft when I had $2 left. I nominated him for $1 and sweated out whether someone would outbid me. Man, auction leages rule.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I will keep my eyes open for Beckham later in the season. If I can slot Getz in for cheap, a high average, high runs and decent SBs is perfectly acceptable for me. Certainly at 2b. But it looks like Beckham is a stud and Getz may have a lower ceiling.

Anyone else have $1-$3 guys that they think will outperform? I will add your name to my 2009 trophy if you wish. Everyone knows Matt Wieters. Come on bobbob, I know you are out there. hook me up here.

In the AL, I like Shin-Soo Choo as something of a sleeper. Don't think he'll be a $1-$3 kind of guy though. Let me do some research.

I don't really know the value guys have in AL only leagues, but here are some guys I like that might be undervalued:

Chris Ray should be back and closing for Baltimore before long.

Glen Perkins in Minnesota should be able to up his K rate next year and might be able to do a pretty decent low 4 era.

Brandon Wood might force his way into the lineup this season for LAA, and while his prospect hype has gone down a bit, he's still awesome. Again, not sure what his value is though.

I've always liked Wladimir Balentien to be a productive player if he gets the opportunity, and with Ichiro starting on the DL, he may get the chance.

Whoever out of Ziegler or Devine in Oakland doesn't become the closer should be able to give you good value for your money.

Since it's an AL only league, you might want to try looking at some good middle relief guys who might be able to vulture some wins and help you in WHIP and ERA. I like Jose Arredonda from LAA.

Brandon Morrow is now a closer only, and should make the major league roster in Seattle soon enough.

I wish I could be more help, but I'm not sure of the values in AL-Only.

Well, Us Cellular is a pretty good park for homers over the years, isn't it?

For sure. But the Charlotte stadium is even smaller.

Charlotte:

Left Field = 326

Center Field = 400

Right Field = 325

Power Alleys = 365

US Celluar:

Left Field - 330 ft (100.58 m)

Left-Center - 375 ft (114.3 m) (Not Posted)

Center Field - 400 ft (121.92 m)

Right-Center - 375 ft (114.3 m) (Not Posted)

Right Field - 335 ft (102.1 m)

He'd never hit for more than 3 HRs before in a season--including college.

Looking at his numbers he also hit a ton more doubles in that smaller park. Maybe there's something there.

Of course, I know nothing about him. Maybe he got some juice.