• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I only have the basic service, though I'm sure the premium is noticeably better. The picture has improved since last year -- not so choppy and pixelated, but crystal clear now. And though most of the new features are available only to premium subscribers, there are a few that are on the basic package, like the highlight log, easily accessible game summary and box score, etc.

OK I bought MLB.tv. First impression, it does look different and better than last year. It appears they aren't going to show the same annoying commercial for every break that advertises the service I'm already using?? ** fingers crossed**

OK I bought MLB.tv. First impression, it does look different and better than last year. It appears they aren't going to show the same annoying commercial for every break that advertises the service I'm already using?? ** fingers crossed**

Which package did you get? (If you don't mind me asking). I'm mulling it over. Worth it, not worth it?

Which package did you get? (If you don't mind me asking). I'm mulling it over. Worth it, not worth it?

I got the premium service about an hour ago. I don't think I can judge all the amenities yet because I'm at work and can't download whatever software it takes to get HD. I think I just had a basic package last year.

Be sure to check your blackout teams before you purchase. I'm just a baseball fan in general, so I'll watch any game. But it was annoying last year that I couldn't watch home or away games for the Rangers, Cards, Royals and Rockies.

What's the story with those black-out dates? Is it a proximity thing?

I think it has to do with TV rights. They would prefer that you watch on TV rather than on the Internet because of ad revenue. Of course, that doesn't mean that those games are always on TV in my market.

Comcast has been doing a free preview of Extra Innings ... I'm watching the Brewers-Giants game, off and on, this evening.

I think the preview ends on Saturday or Sunday.

Yeah, all Tigers games are blacked out. That's not really a deterrent as I can always watch those on my tv. Strangely, no other teams are blacked out. When I saw how many they blocked in your market I figured Chicago for sure, Cincinatti, Toronto, but none of those are blacked out. I'm doing it.

Kate and I were there for that game, man. That thing walked around the whole field. I think Don Cooper snapped it with a towel. It was surreal.

Wasn't that the stitch 'n' pitch game?

On the mlb.tv home page, near the bottom you can type in your zip code and it will tell you which (if any) teams are blacked out in your area.

Or consult your best tech nerd friend and he can advise you on an IP masking program.

Wasn't that the stitch 'n' pitch game?

On the mlb.tv home page, near the bottom you can type in your zip code and it will tell you which (if any) teams are blacked out in your area.

Or consult your best tech nerd friend and he can advise you on an IP masking program.

The IP thing works. If you know someone with an address in the market you want you can go that route, too.

Extra Innings does the black out for local games, too. I don't watch a lot of Rockies games but they're on the local channel anyway. The FOX Saturday blackouts are what pisses me off, though. Can't watch Sox games on most Saturdays if they coincide with the FOX game(s).

How much is the mlb.tv and is it annoying having to sit at a computer to watch the games? I'm assuming not for those that get it but I couldn't do it, especially with the EI available.

MLB.tv is about $80 for regular and $105 for premium, which includes HD and suppodedly, DVR as well. I work evenings so I like to put a game up in the corner of my computer screen. When I'm at home, I'll watch one game on TV and put the laptop next to it playing a different game.

This is my second year with MLB.TV. Last year I had the regular; this year I upgraded to premium. I upgraded a couple days into the season; even the regular is better than last year. The picture is much clearer. The premium is worth the small jump in price however. A few things that stand out on the premium service:

-It's HD when available. I have a S-video and audio cables connecting my laptop to my TV. Pure heaven. I highly recommend doing this. There is a plugin that comes with the premium that makes it really clear.

-DVR function. I usually have a few beers when I watch baseball, so my bladder loves this. Also when you mess with your IP to get in-market games, your connection usually slows down. With the DVR function I can just watch the game a couple minutes behind and avoid any skipping

-Picture in picture, 2 games at once, 4 games at once. The 4 games at once looks cool but I don't see myself using it much. The other two are great when I'm following 2 games at once.

-Fantasy fans, you can input your fantasy roster into MLB.TV. When your guys come up to bat, it will notify you so you can flip to them. Pretty rad.

In addition to local blackouts, there are national blackouts. They are basically Saturday afternoon (when games are on FOX), Sunday night (ESPN), and playoffs. Send you IP someone overseas and you will be able to get them. Also the package comes with Gameday audio or whatever it is called so you get every game on radio.

If your favorite team is out of your market, it's a must have.

I remembered I don't really like watching baseball on TV. Don't know why.

it really is a game that is perfectly set for the radio. I am a Cubs fan so the Team of Pat and Ron are perfect. Even though Ron isn't technical good he is a rue fan or the game and the Cubs. I would imagine he would be saying the same things if we where to watch a game in his living room. And Pat might be the best play by play man in all of radio.

Jesus, Luis Castillo is a giant bag of suck. If the Mets are not at, say, .550 by the All-Star break, Minaya should (and may well) be fired.