Jason Isbell/Justin Townes Earle

Great double bill last night here in Los Angeles. It's tough to be fans of this kind of music in hipster LA, because these shows don't usually have very enthusiastic crowds. Last night seemed a bit more full than usual for Jason..but by the end (1:30AM!) there were only a few folks left.

First of all, I had never seen Justin Townes Earle before.....really a fun performance. Just bought a ticket to see him again here in May. Love the new album, and I had no idea about his old timey "shtick." That said, he really got the crowd going. Looking forward to a whole show, instead of the 45 minute opening act. Surprisingly, he didn't play the title track, but I could listen to the version of "Can't Hardly Wait" over and over. All of the buzz for this show (newspaper, internet) around here was for JTE, barely mentioning Jason, so I was afraid the crowd would empty out, but thankfully, they didn't. Jason's set:

Seven Mile Island

Soldiers Get Strange

Goddamn Lonely Love

Try

Chicago Promenade

The Assassin

Cigarettes and Wine

Outfit

The Last Song I Will Ever Write

Hurricanes and Hand Grenades

Just to Know What You've Been Dreaming (Will Johnson)

break

Never Gonna Change

Streetlights

Dress Blues

I Don't Wanna Fight (Tom Petty)

Danko/Manuel

After the break, there were only about 50 people left for the rocking end. Unfortunate, but it allowed me to shake Jason's hand when it was over, and give him some grief for not playing "Sunstroke!"

Had to stay home today to recover from a very late night. I'm old.

Jack

Thank you so much for the review. I'm even more excited about seeing him on 4/11. It's a Saturday so no work or anything, he can play until dawn for all I care. I'm really looking forward to seeing Justin Townes Earle as well. Really liking his new album. Did people sing along with Can't Hardly Wait? Because I sure as hell plan to.

Man, I hope he plays Sunstroke, thanks for giving him grief about that. As long as he does Danko/Manual when I see him I could probably forgive everything. Would like to hear Streetlights live as well. He played until 1:30? Was it a long set or did he just start late or what?

Thank you so much for the review. I'm even more excited about seeing him on 4/11. It's a Saturday so no work or anything, he can play until dawn for all I care. I'm really looking forward to seeing Justin Townes Earle as well. Really liking his new album. Did people sing along with Can't Hardly Wait? Because I sure as hell plan to.

Man, I hope he plays Sunstroke, thanks for giving him grief about that. As long as he does Danko/Manual when I see him I could probably forgive everything. Would like to hear Streetlights live as well. He played until 1:30? Was it a long set or did he just start late or what?

Justin played from 10:30 to 11:15

Jason played from 11:35 to 1:30 (with the usual cig and pee break).

Enjoy!

Jack

P.S. Yeah, I knew it was a Mike Campbell song (someone was talking to Jason about it last night...but I totally forgot this morning)....not enough sleep.

Thanks for the review. Very pumped to see these guys. Jason's album is definitely the album that I come back to most frequently in 2009 and I like it considerably more than I did his first... and I like it quite a bit.

Peel - I think you'd like JTE. I wasn't blown away by his first album but really dug his Daytrotter session. The new one is VERY strong.

P.S. Yeah, I knew it was a Mike Campbell song (someone was talking to Jason about it last night...but I totally forgot this morning)....not enough sleep.

I figured. That song sticks out like a sore thumb on that album.

Jack, what venue was this show?

I know Earle is scheduled to play Spaceland sometime soon...I was thinking of trying to see that. You've got me more tempted now. I agree with the love for his version of "Can't Hardly Wait". :wub Need to give that album more listening time!

Edit: well crap, I knew the Spaceland date was soon...I just checked and sure enough this was the show you're talking about. I'll bet it was wonderful in such a tiny place! Wish now I hadn't missed it. :pirate

I have seen Justin a couple times and both times he has been great. I just picked up his new album but have not had time to listen to it, but he thanks Jason on it, so they must have something going.

LouieB

I think it's really funny that Jason has "The Day John Henry Died" and Justin has "They Killed John Henry". Someone should do a mashup.

I thought the exact same thing! :omg

I would love to see both J's on the same bill... what a night of RSBFs that would be! :lol

Just got back from the Isbell show, amazing! Justin Townes Earle was really good. They make a lot of sound for just 2 people. The crowd ate it up.

Isbell was flat out amazing. Taking swigs from a bottle of jack all night.

Did everything I wanted to hear except "Sunstroke" and "Streetlights". The biggest surprise was him doing "Psycho Killer" and closing the show with "American Girl".

One of the better shows I have seen in awhile.

Moss, I am so glad you saw Jason and the 400 unit.

I saw him 10 days ago in SF, it was amazing. I hope all our Midwest VCers get out to see these guys...truly amazing songwriter and JTE was awesome as well. I didn't keep a set list and no one at nine bullets seems to have all the songs(Humboldt County was represented :pirate ) But it was something like this according to irishcrazy at 9B.

Seven-Mile Island

Chicago Promenade

Never Gonna Change

Blue

Goddamn Lonely Love

Soldiers Get Strange >

Dress Blues

The Assassin

Cigarettes and Wine

Psycho Killer (Talking Heads Cover)

Danko/Manuel

Try

Outfit

The Last Song I Will Write

*Encore*

Streetlights

Sway

Decoration Day

Point being these guys are tight, underrated and should be selling out rooms. Best 15 bucks I have spent in a long, long time.

I've only seen Jason once, a few months ago, and it was a great show. Very poorly attended which must be a pisser for a band but they just rolled with it and put on a great performance. I am really getting into the new album too.

Moss, I am so glad you saw Jason and the 400 unit.

I saw him 10 days ago in SF, it was amazing. I hope all our Midwest VCers get out to see these guys...truly amazing songwriter and JTE was awesome as well. I didn't keep a set list and no one at nine bullets seems to have all the songs(Humboldt County was represented :pirate ) But it was something like this according to irishcrazy at 9B.

Seven-Mile Island

Chicago Promenade

Never Gonna Change

Blue

Goddamn Lonely Love

Soldiers Get Strange >

Dress Blues

The Assassin

Cigarettes and Wine

Psycho Killer (Talking Heads Cover)

Danko/Manuel

Try

Outfit

The Last Song I Will Write

*Encore*

Streetlights

Sway

Decoration Day

Point being these guys are tight, underrated and should be selling out rooms. Best 15 bucks I have spent in a long, long time.

The theatre was packed at last nights show which was great to see. I don't know if it was sold out but it had to be close. Maybe that will help bring him back again soon! I was a bit surprised to see how skinny Justin Townes Earle was. Made Barney Fife look obese. He was very entertaining though.

Like you said, what a bargain, $15. Your set list looks fairly close to last night. He did close the night with "American Girl". Jason pulled off the Mike Campbell leads quite well. He also played some fantastic slide on a few songs.

For the gear heads out there, I took a peak at Isbells set up onstage.

He had this looper that I did hear him use on one song:

rc20xl_top_tn_thumb.jpg

He had the Green Ibanez tube screamer:

ts-9.jpg

He also had a Boss TU-2 tuner I think.

And he was using a Sommatone amp similar to this:

roaring20_combo_red.jpg

Oh yeah, and he played an ES-335 the vast majority of the night. He had an amazing tone, sometimes the easy set ups are the best.

If you get a chance to see the 400 unit, don't miss it. Jason's a friend from the Shoals area, and in addition to being an amazing songwriter he's an even better guy. It's always good to support guys who are doing it the right way-- and he is.

Good to see the love start pouring in for em.

If you get a chance to see the 400 unit, don't miss it. Jason's a friend from the Shoals area, and in addition to being an amazing songwriter he's an even better guy. It's always good to support guys who are doing it the right way-- and he is.

Good to see the love start pouring in for em.

It's a regular love fest for Jason in these parts. I have been told I should be his agent based on the amount of people I've turned into Isbell fans. :)