Jolly Banker. Quite timely.

And I think my favorite request was for "that fucking stars song"! :yay

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

> That Year and Flatness? I would kill to hear those songs solo. Lucky...

i'm surprised he remembers them!

Well, he did need printed lyrics for those two. :ninja

But they sounded great, imho. Hard to believe they were written when he was 18 or 19! For the record, Train was also requested but he flung the lyric sheet to the ground and said he wasn't going to do that one. :lol

I also wanted to say that I loved the contributions we got from three of our fellow showgoers -- Hamilton Sims, Dave Mirabella and Martin Rivas -- who are all also really talented musicians that you should check out. Hamilton's band is called Little Beirut, Dave's is called The Rationales and Martin plays under his own name but could rightfully be called the King of Bleecker Street. I can't think of a better way to close out the show than with Martin's version of "Sir Duke." :yes

And thanks to those guys and Mr. Rob Szyman, there were jams well into the wee hours...

Jolly Banker. Quite timely.

And I think my favorite request was for "that fucking stars song"! :yay

Jolly Banker was great, as was the new album. ("Very Harrison." "That's a good thing!")

Oh, and there wasn't any heckling going on. If anything, Jeff heckled us!

Thank you to Sam and Sooz for again hosting a great Chicago weekend. It's always a wonderful time when you have great food, great friends, and great music. Allow me to reflect.. The food on Saturday night itself made for a memorable night. I arrived early enough to have Alison's mac and cheeze this year (yum), and when I told Miles that the big silver box was an ice cream machine, he said "for real?!" with big eyes! And Uyen's cupcakes never disappoint :) ....but woodgrain?! Move over Martha.

This has become a reunion of sorts for many of us who have become close friends over the past 5++ years, and it warms my heart to spend the weekend with some of the nicest people in the universe. Not to mention hilarious. It was also great to "officially meet" a couple friends and shake their warm hands after all this time.

And last but not least, Jeff and Susan are amazing generous people who are the common denominator for all of these wonderful friendships. If it wasnt for Wilco/Jeff's music, I certainly would have never crossed paths with many of these nutjobs I now call friends :pirate Thank you both for putting up with the chaos, sharing funny stories, putting up with my kids (Ruby had a blast this year), and for everything else.

Oh, and I LOVE the new Wilco record.

xxoo

one more funny moment: walking downstairs to find Jeff playing Wii tennis with Miles (my 4 yr old) and the other young boy (whose name escapes me).

Damn, I totally missed that! Jeff and Miles' Wii partner was named Zander, I believe.

I apologize to everyone who had to endure the Split Enz rock block--you truly are the sweetest, most understanding friends ever! :wub

Many people have already posted my exact sentiments, but as always, it was wonderful to see so many wonderful people under one roof. Thanks for all the laughter, the singing, the chit chat, and the soft-serve suggestions. Did anyone carry off the lambic/ice cream combo?

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

I'm not sure if the soft serve/lambic sundae ever became a reality, but I know people were experimenting with chocolate stout.

I walked in for part of the Wii tennis action. The cutest part was when Zander (Xander?) came downstairs during the break before album listening and asked Jeff, "Could we play Wii sports some more?" Hey, kids have priorities.

Thank you Sam & Sooz

I was overwhelmed by your kindness, and that of the company...

...and stunned to turn around and see Jeff walking down the stairs, and asking me where he should set up.

"uuhhhh...."

:omg

What a fun show. Everything was cool!

I'm sorry all, that the recording of the night is shit. The sound is good, but I (obviously) had a problem with my laptop, and when everything started to work (about 2/3 into the 1st half) and then I forgot to change a setting, and...well...shit.

Sorry

I tried my best, however, I'm about as far away as you can get from the last person in the line of people who do that professionally. I wish I knew more, and had better equipment.

I wish I could have delivered, and reciprocated the kindness I was shown earlier in the weekend.

Sorry again and thank you.

OH yeah.

The jams at the end were ridiculously fun.

"Like double dutch"

What?

I have not said anything yet. This was all excellent. The entire night was something of a highlight, but a few things that stood out:

Jeff and Hamilton's Fake Plastic Trees

Jeff asking me if I had pubic hair yet

Blood of the Lamb / Christ for President

Barstool Blues

How much shit I could break during two or three hours as a relatively non-clumsy person

Good to see all of you people again. And to meet those of you that I hadn't previously. And thanks to everyone for being awesome at making food. Sweet Jesus.

Jeff asking me if I had pubic hair yet

That had to be a first for both of you. At least your pediatrician was there...

It was good meeting you and talking about writing. God help us both.

Woah, what an incredible evening you had! :worship I love reading this thread! Especially the new album comments! :stunned

Johnny: Poster pix? ... It's a pretty safe assumption all of VC is dying to see what you created!

So I'll grovel first ... pretty please??? :wub :pray :wub

Woah, what an incredible evening you had! :worship I love reading this thread! Especially the new album comments! :stunned

Johnny: Poster pix? ... It's a pretty safe assumption all of VC is dying to see what you created!

So I'll grovel first ... pretty please??? :wub :pray :wub

Johnny had the night off, Jay Ryan did the poster. :thumbup

I wonder if the CRTC will recognize Wilco as CanCon now? :lol

I loved the duet! Was I hallucinating or did Feist contribute backing vocals on some of the other tracks, as well?

I didn't notice any other backing vocals...

You and I is a vocal sharing duet, not a vocal trading duet - if that makes sense. Somehow before we listened I'd been imagining the latter, so I was a little surprised when I asked what they'd do for Feist's parts live, and Jeff said "Not sing them?" Now I understand.

I didn't notice any other backing vocals...

You and I is a vocal sharing duet, not a vocal trading duet - if that makes sense. Somehow before we listened I'd been imagining the latter, so I was a little surprised when I asked what they'd do for Feist's parts live, and Jeff said "Not sing them?" Now I understand.

:thumbup

I loved the duet! Was I hallucinating or did Feist contribute backing vocals on some of the other tracks, as well?

I thought some of the other backing vocals sounded higher than usual as well, but Jeff confirmed they were either John and/or Pat.

How was the duet with Feist? I loved it. In fact, it's one of the songs I haven't been able to stop thinking about since Saturday. I really can't wait to hear the album again.

I had a tremendous time, and let me tell you why... :pirate I was overwhelmed by the warm atmosphere and hospitality that surrounded the weekend and all of the people who were so happy just to be around each other. The music that followed the show-proper was a blast (the bruise on my hip from the classy Muppets tambourine of which I was briefly in possession says so), and there was no effing around with that potluck. Soft serve? Totally worth any power outages. And if the 90s was the era of jello shots, perhaps the aughts could be the era of salad dressing shots?

I thought some of the other backing vocals sounded higher than usual as well, but Jeff confirmed they were either John and/or Pat.

How was the duet with Feist? I loved it. In fact, it's one of the songs I haven't been able to stop thinking about since Saturday. I really can't wait to hear the album again.

I had a tremendous time, and let me tell you why... :pirate I was overwhelmed by the warm atmosphere and hospitality that surrounded the weekend and all of the people who were so happy just to be around each other. The music that followed the show-proper was a blast (the bruise on my hip from the classy Muppets tambourine of which I was briefly in possession says so), and there was no effing around with that potluck. Soft serve? Totally worth any power outages. And if the 90s was the era of jello shots, perhaps the aughts could be the era of salad dressing shots?

and then Ted Kennedy showed up!

Johnny had the night off, Jay Ryan did the poster. :thumbup

Aw, well I guess Jay Ryan's an okay substitute. :hmm ;)

But to be honest I am a little disappointed because I was dying to see another j4l/jt creation. :) Maybe we'll see some posters this spring/summer? Hope so! BTW, Johnny I love your new paintings.

and then Ted Kennedy showed up!

Wow. I had totally repressed that memory.

Chappaquidittch? Was Ted Kennedy in Harry Potter?