Jeff Tweedy 4.4.09, Chicago, IL

Wow. I had totally repressed that memory.

Chappaquidittch? Was Ted Kennedy in Harry Potter?

You'll both be happy to know that Ted stayed until about 5 a.m. I'm not even kidding.

As to the question about Ravi Shankar, I don't think he's actually on the record but there are certainly some Shankar-esque sounds on a couple of songs...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the story behind this show? How does one get to go? Who runs it? etc., etc.?

If you follow the links in this thread, you'll get more information than you probably ever wanted: http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=38597

Nutshell: these are charity shows, auctioned off to raise money for a charity administered through Second City. The auction takes place at SC's fundraiser in December, with shows in the early-ish part of the new year.

:wave

I'll come back later with my thoughts on this weekend's show. For now, I'm still recovering!

If you follow the links in this thread, you'll get more information than you probably ever wanted: http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=38597

Nutshell: these are charity shows, auctioned off to raise money for a charity administered through Second City. The auction takes place at SC's fundraiser in December, with shows in the early-ish part of the new year.

Thanks, I didn't realize this was one of the charity shows that were auctioned off. Is this one bigger (more people) than the Living Room shows?

Aw, well I guess Jay Ryan's an okay substitute. :hmm ;)

But to be honest I am a little disappointed because I was dying to see another j4l/jt creation. :) Maybe we'll see some posters this spring/summer? Hope so! BTW, Johnny I love your new paintings.

Thanks, Wendy. I had a design for a block print, but I just didn't have time to pull it off, and hopefully will use it for next year. But that artist you put in a link for (Marc somebody?) had some posters in this show I am in in Louisville: GigPoster Show .

I have taken some time to look closely at the Jay Ryan poster today. Very, very cool, and very well-done. Nice job, S&S. And in case they read this, I want to say a big Thanks to Jeff and Susan. She's heard all these songs and stories before, yet still arranges and attends these wonderful and good-doing shows. And I really felt that Jeff went above and beyond the other night. Really. I wouldn't make art if there wasn't music (probably wouldn't do anything), and Jeff's been my most constant and consistent dealer in that respect for 15 years. Sure means a lot.

Johnny - I forgot to mention that it was really cool to look through some of your work in person. I wish I'd had more time to do that.

I've been waiting for the Jolly banker to chime in with a photo of this year's Jay Ryan masterpiece.

...and for those of you keeping score, that's a 1953 Gibson J-185 that Jeff played on this lovely evening. He said it needed a bit of love after he purchased it, but he also said it is pretty much the only acoustic guitar on the new album. Lovely tone, very focused. He called it a "very forgiving" guitar... one of those rare ones that sounds good even if it's slightly out of tune.