Jeff Tweedy 4.4.09, Chicago, IL

What was Bull Black Nova like? I'm curious about that one.

If I'm remembering correctly, it's Spiders-esque. Not quite as heavy-sounding, if that makes any sense, but definitely influenced by Neu! and the like. The Krautrock lives! :thumbup

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think I can make any particularly insightful comments about Glenn's percussion after one listen. There aren't any crazy drum solos that I remember, like on Let's Not Get Carried Away or something like that. It just sounds like Glenn (although I heard that Jeff mentioned to someone at the show, at a specific point -- I'm not sure where -- that a particular sound had come from Glenn throwing a beanbag against a wall or something).

As far as the sound, knowing that one of the band's goals was to use the studio more as an instrument, I think they succeeded at that. I'm not sure if it's because of the overdubs or what, but to me there was a "layered" element that maybe wasn't as present on, say, Sky Blue Sky, which, if I'm not mistaken, was mostly played live in the studio.

Someone had told me he thought this record was a natural progression of everything that has come before. I didn't really understand what he meant at the time, but I get that a little more now. It's not radically different than what this lineup has produced, but it doesn't necessarily seem like more of the same either.

I don't know what to think anymore. With each new report on the album, I'm either extremely excited or extremely nervous. I just want to hear the thing already. I'm sure I'll think it's one of their best albums after my first listen (which is what I said about Sky Blue Sky after hearing the stream). I just want it to be something I'll want to listen to over and over again. I haven't ever been worried about that with Wilco until SBS came out.

The reports in this thread have all been pretty encouraging, though.

I will say this, I think there is a little bit more of a pop element on this record that maybe was missing from the past couple of efforts. A couple of songs are really catchy, and I mean that in a good way. :yes

I had a tremendous time, and let me tell you why... :pirate I was overwhelmed by the warm atmosphere and hospitality that surrounded the weekend and all of the people who were so happy just to be around each other. The music that followed the show-proper was a blast (the bruise on my hip from the classy Muppets tambourine of which I was briefly in possession says so), and there was no effing around with that potluck. Soft serve? Totally worth any power outages. And if the 90s was the era of jello shots, perhaps the aughts could be the era of salad dressing shots?

Next time, maybe creamy Italian. But really, don't remind me about the salad dressing. Oy. :yucky

I thought we really had a great group of people this year. The whole weekend always goes by so quickly and then I miss everyone, but I do cherish the time we get to spend together (and with Jeff and Susan). :cheers

A few of us were having fun picking out contributions of specific band members during songs, and I definitely remember a part where someone said, "I think that was Glenn." As a joke, because it was blatantly obvious. That said, of course I don't remember what was being referred to. It wasn't a drum solo or anything.

I'd agree with the layering mentioned previously. There was a lot going on in some of the songs, in a good way, and I'm really eager to listen again and pick out more specifics. It's a little overwhelming to take in on first listen, with one of the album's creators sitting behind you. :lol There are also phrases I keep remembering from some songs, and I want to get more of the story. And the stuff I remember seems a little dark - from S(u/o)nny Feeling and Bull Black Nova.

We heard a couple other songs too, including an outtake that I liked very much. I hope it does wind up on something.

I was thinking today about Ruby dancing. So sweet. And singing the backround "doo do doo doo" vocals as Jeff and Dave did "Glad and Sorry" was so much fun.

I miss everyone. And I ate my last Uyen cupcake for dinner last night, so I miss those too.

i've been begging for someone to request When You Wake Up, and I got it.

was Jeff into doing the song ?

I don't remember a particular reaction to that song, but given the obscurity of some of the other songs on the slate, I think he was probably relieved.

Awesome... how about One Wing? does it still have that epic-ness of the live versions? How has it changed?

The arrangement of One Wing sounded pretty similar to the live version, at least to me.

Thanks for the posts, Really enjoyed creeping. Wow would I love to attend. I knew there was some reason I needed a job :fish

I am so jealous of you all and Kermit too! Can't wait for the new CD. Any chance of an actuall album again?

Oh well maybe by November...