I have tried to defer to Deadwood (which is modern day shakespeare, and anyone who says different never read shakespeare), and the first 3 seasons of West Wing, to Hill Street Blues, to N.Y.P.D. Blue to Northern Exposure (my former favorite show ever) to the Wire (I haven't been able to invest time in this show, but I trust my friends on the board re the quality of this show), but nothing compares to the intricacy and mesmerizing writing of Lost. Period.

I've never been more captivated by characters and story line in my life.

show me a more consistently better show, that has had as long a run of consistently extraordinary episodes, that shows no signs of regression...

I have tried to defer to Deadwood (which is modern day shakespeare, and anyone who says different never read shakespeare), and the first 3 seasons of West Wing, to Hill Street Blues, to N.Y.P.D. Blue to Northern Exposure (my former favorite show ever) to the Wire (I haven't been able to invest time in this show, but I trust my friends on the board re the quality of this show), but nothing compares to the intricacy and mesmerizing writing of Lost. Period.

I've never been more captivated by characters and story line in my life.

show me a more consistently better show, that has had as long a run of consistently extraordinary episodes, that shows no signs of regression...

It does have a mythic quality about it. Tonight's episode (Dead is Dead) had more WTF moments than most shows will have in a season. And now we know 'who' the statue is of.

i thought the same thing...until i finished watching season 1 of Wire this past weekend. if the Wire can maintain the same level of excellence in the next four seasons, i think it might just be the greatest tv show i've ever seen (or will ever see)

i thought the same thing...until i finished watching season 1 of Wire this past weekend. if the Wire can maintain the same level of excellence in the next four seasons, i think it might just be the greatest tv show i've ever seen (or will ever see)

The best shows seem to be the ones that the suits don't fuck up...The reason why Firefly became a casualty and Lost became a legend.

for the sake of full disclosure I never even considered watching Lost until kimcatch convinced me otherwise somewhere (I think) during the third season.

teh wife and I were caught up in weeks.

this isn't the kind of show I EVER thought I could get wrapped-up in, but I'd move mountains if they were between me and wednesday night.

if Locke ever dies (for good), maybe I'll change my tune. But until then, this is as good as network TV has ever been.

Absolute Greatness

for the sake of full disclosure I never even considered watching Lost until kimcatch convinced me otherwise somewhere (I think) during the third season.

:blush

if Locke ever dies (for good), maybe I'll change my tune. But until then, this is as good as network TV has ever been.

Absolute Greatness

Sorry I missed your call -- the phone was on silent because I was catching up on tonight's episode since I had class until 8:30 (lame -- who schedules school during Lost?)

Anyway, re: your Locke point... looking back at the story lines, I've noticed that when Locke is strong and confident and believes in something, the show is strong; when he's weak and unsure, the show suffers. Probably not an intended effect (because who wants their show to be weak, ever?) but interesting nonetheless.

Guest Gym Teacher Man

Wow, I completely disagree. I'm a fan of the show, but it doesn't contend with any of the greats for me (the sorpranos, seinfeld, rescue me, to name a few).

I'm actually pretty much tired of Lost and just want it to be over.

I've stopped watching LOST when the island started to move backwards/forwards/sidewards/upwards/downwards/whateverwards in time. I'm sorry, but I honestly do not believe that anyone can still catch up with the constant flashbacks, and I also don't believe that anyone is still able to tell in which year the characters are at each stage of the episodes. The storyline is beyond ridiculous meanwhile, and although I do believe that my IQ is usually high enough to follow such series, I found myself asking at least 10 times per episode ".....oh Locke is NOT dead then?!" or "....oh they're three years BACK now! I thought they are still in the future!"

So no, no more LOST for me.

All hail SHARK.

I've never subscribed to HBO, so I've had to rely on DVDs of their great ones: Oz, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Wire...

I love LOST but admittedly I didn't get into until the 4th season was underway. I'm still enjoying it a lot.

As far as TV comedies go, Arrested Development FTW. I also love My Name Is Earl and 30 Rock. I think The Office this season is better than last season too. I love that network sit-coms seem to be moving away from canned studio laughter, I can't stand that shit.

And those are about all the shows that I watch!

• 11 months later...

Seinfeld hasn't aged well at all. Any show that relies on a laugh-track (or any other simulated audience response) is automatically disqualified from being considered the best ever.

Still waiting to start up on Lost. Got bored with Deadwood midway through the first season.

Seinfeld hasn't aged well at all. Any show that relies on a laugh-track (or any other simulated audience response) is automatically disqualified from being considered the best ever.

Still waiting to start up on Lost. Got bored with Deadwood midway through the first season.

#1: I disagree with you about the laugh track...I do agree that any show on now should not have a laugh track but back in the day there was really no other choice...Even MASH and All in the Family had them. They are a little annoying with Seinfeld but they keep it under wraps usually.

#2: Yes you need to get started on Lost.....I can't imagine watching the seasons on DVD for the first time...your head might explode from all the information. It take me (and most people) a day or 2 to really have each episode sink in. A whole season at a time would be crazy. That being said if you like great shows you should by all means get going on this.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

I agree that a laugh track takes away from a show. However, when the laugh track was recorded live along with the show, as in Seinfeld, I think it's great. It's genuine.

I still say Seinfeld is the best show ever, followed closely by The Sopranos. Lost is in my Top 5 favorite, for sure.

Nice to see some love for Roseanne. God that show was great. At least for the first 6 or 7 years.

True and true. Was great up to when the Connors won the lottery and then it just fell apart.

Taxi

Carol Burnett Show

Dick Van Dyke Show

Mary Tyler Moore Show

First 2,3 seasons of Law & Order (before it became a factory)

I don't know about current shows as I haven't watched much tv in the last 7 years.

I would have loved to have seen Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shows. I've heard that was fantastic with Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks, amongst others, as writers. Is it available on dvd at all?

• 3 years later...

Sorry Poon, but the correct answer is "The Wire." There's never been anything like it on television.

In my opinion, of course.

the wife and I have finally gotten around to watching this.  We're halfway through season 4.  We have really enjoyed it, but it's not better than LOST.

Laziest tv series ending ever.  Most unanswered questions of any tv series ever, by a million light years.  This series had its moments and was a good concept in theory, but I rate this show CRAP for how massively it was bungled and how far out of control it got from its creators.